From: Kent Robertson <karkauai@...>
To: amelyachtowners@...
Sent: Sat, November 6, 2010 1:43:38 PM
Subject: [Amel] SM 24v Bilge Pump

Hi again, all,
I just got back on Kristy to do some prep for the trip south and discovered that
the bilge pump isn't working. The flapper valves on the intake and output sides
of the pump were attached to the inside of the pump head by screws that have
rusted completely off, making it impossible to replace with new ones. I think I
will need to get a new head for the pump but there are no identifying marks on
the pump except "PAM" printed on a sticker on the pump head. I believe this is
a Sandvik pump, but cant find it searching the web. Can anyone tell me what
brand and model pump it should be on SM243? Has anyone replaced this pump with
another brand and if so how much of a problem was it to mount in the engine
room? Has anyone had the same problem with this pump and do you have
suggestions for how to repair it?

Thanks as always for your replies.
Kent
SM243
KRISTY

Barry Ferguson <seagasm@...>

You will Find all the information you require from the manufacturer below.
We recently purchased maintenance kits for the bilge and fresh water pumps
without difficulty and with excellent service.

Federica Gargiulo

Export Assistant / Assistante Commerciale

REYA SAS - Groupe Alliance Marine

2599 Route de la Fénerie

06580 Pégomas

Tel. + 33 493 904 708

Fax + 33 493 902 440

Email: export@...
Web: www.reya.com

All the Best,
Barry and Robyn
Tradewinds III SM 191

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 2:05 AM, Richard Piller <richard03801@...>wrote:

Kent, after our first pump failed we found a Vetus pump to replace other
original diaphragm pump. After two more failures it seems there are some
"issues" with that pump. We in desperation installed a 24 volt macerator
pump.
it has a 1.5" intake and one inch out put. So we installed a reducer on the

line going overboard. The macerator pump runs at well over 8 gallons per
min.
by far faster and using less power then the previous pump (s). Second I can

hear it start up and run it may be not as Amel but I know when the bilge
pump in
on and I kinda like that. It's worked well and draws without issue. For us
it's
a very big improvement.
We spent a lot of money and time before we got to this point...
Good luck
Richard on SM 209 in Annapolis FOR SALE

________________________________
[...]

Email: seagasm@...
Off Shore E-mail: vhn3361@... (text only)
Phone: Australia (0407) 65-2046
HF Call Sign: VHN3361
SV Tradewinds III, SM#171

Chris Smither <yachtakwaaba@...>

Richard,
 If it is any help, attached is the exploded diagram of the PAM pump with the manufacturers details. Mine has been on my Santorin for 20 years, and is getting close to it's "sell by" date.
As an aside, I have found that truck tyre inner tubes make perfect diaphragm's if you have a problem miles from anywhere.

Mike
Santorin, Akwaaba 1990

[...]

karkauai

Thank you, gentlemen.  I just got your replies after I posted again with ?'s about the water heater.  Richard, I'm amazed that the macerator pump will self prime the 5 ft or so from the bottom of the intake to the pump.  How long have you been using that one?  Thanks for the info, Barry.  Here's the link to the Scandvik website on this pump http://www.scandvik.com/index.cfm/method/Shopping_Products/CatId/1/ID/793.htm .
It looks like they're in Ft. Lauderdale, FL.  Chris, I don't think you can attach files to posts on this site, so I didn't get your exploded view of the pump.  Can you send it directly to me at karkauai at yahoo dot com or post it in files or photos sections?  Thanks.
Again, thanks and happy holidays.
Kent
SM243
KRISTY

Richard Piller <richard03801@...>

Mike thanks for the note. I think at based on the 12 GPM of the new pump or 60
times that it makes for a better bilge pump. My original fail after 11 year not
a bad run. But we were not able to find replacement parts here in the States.
We found what looked like a good replacement in Vetus however they too seem to
have issues with the diaphragm pumps as well.

Richard on SM 209 For Sale