From: erickmejean <maramu@...>
Subject: [Amel] Re: Wind Generator on an AMEL 54
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Sunday, 14, November, 2010, 7:11 PM

Hi Anthony
I did install an Aerogen 400 on top of my SM mizzen. It has bee there for ten years now and it works. However I wont do it again as I found it useless.. It brings very little power, once in a while when conditions are optimum, it is noisy and if one of the blade becomes unbalanced the vibrations travels all the way down the mizzen mast. You have to check regularly the silent blocks as sun, salt, heat and rubber don't get along well.
In my opinion the SM or the 54 are too much energy consumer boats to expect covering the energy consumption with solar panels or wind generator . You will never cover your needs fully. When conditions are good it will save you half an hour of power generator a day at most? It is not worth the trouble. Unless you cut down your electrical consumption drastically, no electronic, no autopilot no fridge, no music, no entertainment, nothing in fact (which is purposely not the right way to enjoy a SM or a 54) it does not bring enough benefit.
Erick

--- In amelyachtowners@..., xygakis <no_reply@...> wrote:

I would like to install a six kilo Air Breeze wind generator on top of the mizzen mast.

Is there anyone who has already made such an installation and who could give me all details about the necessary support post of this installation?

With thanks in advance

Anthony

Barry Ferguson <seagasm@...>

We installed a Rutland 913 24 volt unit on the stern, very quiet but not
much output. We have to be in 25 - 30 knot winds before anything happens and
then it is only showing an input of 2 amps. No, the Rutland in my view was a
waste of money, unfortunately.

Best Regards
Barry & Robyn
Tradewinds III SM191

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 5:00 AM, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...>wrote:

Hi Anthony, we have a Super Maramu. We intended to do extended ocean
crossings and for us the issue was one of security. To rely solely on engine
produced electricity seemed high risk to us. Sarter motors and alternators
can fail, fuel can be contaminated. We wanted a power source that would at
least keep our instruments and radio going in the event of a failure. We
fitted a Super Wind 350 generator to the top of the mizzen. It is a robust
unit designed for use in remote locations with mechanically feathering
blades for extreme winds. At deck and cabin level we never hear it, and
certainly no vibration. If there is 20 knots of wind it's output is
formidable, under 10 knots, very little. We also mounted two 150 watt solar
panels with clamps on the port rail aft of the cockpit. This has proved very
satisfactory. When needed we can slack the clamps and swing the panels
vertical, eg entering marina berths.
In the Caribbean and the Pacific tropics with the freezer and fridges
working hard the combination made a good contribution, probably 50% of daily
consumption on average. Now we are in the temperate climate of NZ, mostly
100%..

Regards
Danny and Yvonne
Ocean Pearl SM 299
Mangonui NZ
www.getjealous.com/danneve

--- On Sun, 14/11/10, erickmejean <maramu@...<maramu%40hotmail.com>>

From: erickmejean <maramu@... <maramu%40hotmail.com>>
To: amelyachtowners@... <amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com>
Date: Sunday, 14, November, 2010, 7:11 PM

--- In amelyachtowners@... <amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com>,

--
Email: seagasm@...
Off Shore E-mail: vhn3361@... (text only)

Chris Smither <yachtakwaaba@...>

Hi Danny & Yvonne,
   What happened to the marvellous Amel shaft alternator system......on my Santorin, it provided about 60% of our power needs crossing the Atlantic, (light winds - slow crossing), but on the Pacific crossing it supplied all the power to keep the batteries fully charged.  You lose about 1/2 Kt boat speed, but the security was worth it!
Where we are now, (in Phuket, geriatric day sailing), it is a terrific booster to bring the batteries up quickly after a night at anchor.
   If Amel have stopped fitting them, I'm sorry but I consider it a backwards step, which is unusual for Amel.
  Is there anyway one could be fitted, or does the new gearbox on the Amel's not allow the prop to rotate under sail?

Mike & Chris
Santorin, Akwaaba
Phuket

From: erickmejean <maramu@...>

To: amelyachtowners@...

Date: Sunday, 14, November, 2010, 7:11 PM

[...]

Richard03801 <richard03801@...>

We miss the shaft Gen from our old 46.

Regards
Richard Piller

On Nov 14, 2010, at 18:57, Chris Smither <yachtakwaaba@...> wrote:

[...]

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

We don't have one, haven't looked at the posibility. On a Pacific crossing (which we have done) 3000 miles at 6.5knots instead of 7 is 1.38 days longer at sea. Also at slower hull speeds the percentage lost is greater. Also the continuous wear on the drive train has to be considered. The bushing and seals on Amel special drive system on the SM prop shaft are recommended for change every two years when just using the motor. What would the interval be with continuous running?
The wind and solar have done us well.
Regards
Danny and Yvonne
Ocean Pearl SM299

Danny and Yvonne
www.getjealous.com/danneve

[...]

Patrick McAneny

I have only just got my psa working after replacing the alt. about a month
ago.But so far, while there has got to be some speed lose,I have not seen
more than perhaps a tenth or two not nearly a 1/2 a knot lose.When I think
about it, if sailing along at 7 knots and I dragged something the surface area
of a prop from behind the boat I would not expect a speed drop of 1/2 knot.I
had a Four Winns on one boat and a Kiss on another,' both quiet and good
output ,the Kiss a better value for the price .I will add a wind gen. for
anchoring but love the psa for power while sailing.I often found the apparent
wind too light while sailing off the wind for the wind gen.Someone asked me to
take pictures of my psa installation, we will download the pics. to photo
section under Shenanigans this week. Pat

Hardy Stock <hardystock@...>

[...]

Dave_Benjamin

I think the U-drive may have something to do with the shaft generator being eliminated. Our Maramu has a simple straight shaft so fitting a shaft generator was simple enough. I'm not sure if it would have been as easy on a SM or other Amel with U-drive.
When we bought out Maramu it had been repowered and the shaft generator was gone. We have two 130w solar panels and I am adding a third which should allow us to live without having to run the engine to charge batteries.

From: erickmejean <maramu@...>

To: amelyachtowners@...