From: Dave_Benjamin
Date: Monday, November 15, 2010 9:43 pm
Subject: [Amel] Maramu stuffing box issue
To: amelyachtowners@...

The boat is in Mexico and I'm in the states doing some shopping.
Before I left I noted that our stuffing box is attached to the
log with 2 inch (51mm) hose. When I went to buy a new stuffing
box today I discovered they are set up for 2.5 inch hose not 2
inch. I am wondering if someone cut some threads inside the
existing stuffing box and screwed in a 2 inch diam tailpiece. If
that's the common scheme it would be easy enought to duplicate.
I'd like to know as much as possible before we haul the boat.

Our boat has a 1 3/8 inch shaft and it's been repowered with a
Yanmar so there is actually a lot of room behind the engine.

Regards,

Dave Benjamin
Maramu #29

Dave_Benjamin

Eric,

Thanks for the tip. I looked at the Buck catalogue and one other vendor. They were both only offered in 2.5 inch. I'll check out the Spartan. They are a good company. I have seen some of their hardware.

Cheers,
Dave

--- In amelyachtowners@..., kimberlite@... wrote:

we have a saildrive unit on our super maramu,
however if you are referring to a prop shaft stuffing box, Spartan Marine makes the worlds finest stuffing box in all sizes 2 and 2 1/2 inches and many more. They are designed to be adjusted with a hammer and screwdriver or their special wrench.
Look them up on the web.
Fair winds
eric sm 376 kimberlite

The boat is in Mexico and I'm in the states doing some shopping.
Before I left I noted that our stuffing box is attached to the
log with 2 inch (51mm) hose. When I went to buy a new stuffing
box today I discovered they are set up for 2.5 inch hose not 2
inch. I am wondering if someone cut some threads inside the
existing stuffing box and screwed in a 2 inch diam tailpiece. If
that's the common scheme it would be easy enought to duplicate.
I'd like to know as much as possible before we haul the boat.

Our boat has a 1 3/8 inch shaft and it's been repowered with a
Yanmar so there is actually a lot of room behind the engine.

Regards,

Dave Benjamin
Maramu #29

kimberlite@...

I used the spartan box on my Tartan 37 and used west marines dripless packing. I put about 20,000 miles on it and never a drip or a problem.
[...]

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Eric, has your boat had the Amel drive replaced with a sail drive or was it built with a sail drive in place?
Regards
Danny and Yvonne
Ocean Pearl SM299

Danny and Yvonne
www.getjealous.com/danneve

The boat is in Mexico and I'm in the states doing some shopping.
Before I left I noted that our stuffing box is attached to the
log with 2 inch (51mm) hose. When I went to buy a new stuffing
box today I discovered they are set up for 2.5 inch hose not 2
inch. I am wondering if someone cut some threads inside the
existing stuffing box and screwed in a 2 inch diam tailpiece. If
that's the common scheme it would be easy enought to duplicate.
I'd like to know as much as possible before we haul the boat.

Our boat has a 1 3/8 inch shaft and it's been repowered with a
Yanmar so there is actually a lot of room behind the engine.

Regards,

Dave Benjamin
Maramu #29

kimberlite@...

hi,
i call it a sail drive--it is probably the same unit you have on your boat.
The engine is mounted facing aft and after the transmision ther is a gearbox that sends the power down a shaft to the aft of the keel and then another gearbox- a 6-10 inch shaft for the prop and line cutter.
Eric
Sm 376 kimberlite

The boat is in Mexico and I'm in the states doing some
shopping.
Before I left I noted that our stuffing box is attached to the
log with 2 inch (51mm) hose. When I went to buy a new stuffing
box today I discovered they are set up for 2.5 inch hose not 2
inch. I am wondering if someone cut some threads inside the
existing stuffing box and screwed in a 2 inch diam tailpiece.
If
that's the common scheme it would be easy enought to
duplicate.
I'd like to know as much as possible before we haul the boat.

Our boat has a 1 3/8 inch shaft and it's been repowered with a
Yanmar so there is actually a lot of room behind the engine.

Regards,

Dave Benjamin
Maramu #29

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Thganks Eric, yes the same.
regards
Danny

The boat is in Mexico and I'm in the states doing some
shopping.
Before I left I noted that our stuffing box is attached to the
log with 2 inch (51mm) hose. When I went to buy a new stuffing
box today I discovered they are set up for 2.5 inch hose not 2
inch. I am wondering if someone cut some threads inside the
existing stuffing box and screwed in a 2 inch diam tailpiece.
If
that's the common scheme it would be easy enought to
duplicate.
I'd like to know as much as possible before we haul the boat.

Our boat has a 1 3/8 inch shaft and it's been repowered with a
Yanmar so there is actually a lot of room behind the engine.

Regards,

Dave Benjamin
Maramu #29

Richard03801 <richard03801@...>

You have a double nut on your stuffing box. If you tighten it you break lose the inner lock nut tighten the outer nut either with a special large jaw adj wrench from some place like Defender or West the tighten the lock nut. Even though you have a grease fitting to lube the shaft from time to time you have to replace the packing. It's an easy job done when hauled out or a very flat day with a good pump handy.
Good luck

Richard Piller sm 209 For Sale