From: Alexandre Uster von Baar <uster@...>
Subject: [Amel] Amel yearly upkeep cost
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Tuesday, November 16, 2010, 2:10 PM

I am seriously interested in purchasing an Amel. The SM cost is above my current budget but I am not discarding it, I am considering Maramu, Santorin and even Mango. Would that be possible to get some feedback on the average yearly up keep/ maintenance (once the sailboat is in absolute ready to cruise condition). A French web site mentions 3500 € ($4,900) per year on an SM, this seems a bit low. I am not looking for insurance nor marina fees, just the maintenance/upkeep costs such as hoses, filters, bearings, bushings, seals, etc.

Thanks in advance. Sincerely, Alexandre

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Thank you for your reply Kent, so $60,000 on 2 years.  Were you aware of the repair needed when you purchased her?  Do you do the work yourself?  Thanks for your time, Alexandre

My SM is 11 yrs old now and after two years of trying to get her in ship-shape, I'm finding it's still costing me a lot more than I anticipated.  I keep thinking that I'll have most of the major stuff done and then something else breaks down...water heater and bilge pump the latest two on the list.  I can tell you that if you have time and skill enough to do most of the work yourself, it will cost you less than half of what it costs to have someone else to do the work.  So far I've spent over $60,000 US upgrading, replacing, repairing, etc.  I want to add davits and redo the interior upholstery which will add another $10K or so.  After that I'm hoping it will be mostly maintenance and not so much major replacement/repair.  Can't guess what my yearly costs might be but so far it's over twice what I expected at this point.   But she's ready to go anywhere now, and it's all worth it...just may never get to retire fully, eh?
Steady as she goes.
Kent
S/V KRISTY
SM243

I am seriously interested in purchasing an Amel. The SM cost is above my current budget but I am not discarding it, I am considering Maramu, Santorin and even Mango. Would that be possible to get some feedback on the average yearly up keep/ maintenance (once the sailboat is in absolute ready to cruise condition). A French web site mentions 3500 € ($4,900) per year on an SM, this seems a bit low. I am not looking for insurance nor marina fees, just the maintenance/upkeep costs such as hoses, filters, bearings, bushings, seals, etc.

Thanks in advance. Sincerely, Alexandre

Lars H. Knudsen <museum@...>

I own a 1993 Santorin and besides replacing old electronics with new systems my regular upkeep costs are low.

There has been very few issues – only things like a leaking fuel line and seawater leaking from the water pump. But lying in Tunisia make repairs cheap and almost any part is readily available – if you know the right people and speak some French.

So my costs are about Euro 2.800 for the berth per year plus insurance which is another Euro 1.600 / year. Plus fuel and minor repairs now and then.

/lars, Denmark

Salvagny, Santorin #79

[...]

Chris Smither <yachtakwaaba@...>

Alexandre, (and others),,
   As a young man, (a long time ago) I was told the "rule of thumb" for maintenance costs was between 5-8% of capital cost should be budgeted for maintenance. This rises to 10% for an "older" boat. It also, to a certain extent depends on where you are. In some parts of the world there is still a "repair" culture as opposed to a "replace" one.
   An example; We are having a local upholsterer make a new foam bumper for our Santorin - the last one from Amel was expensive, (cost plus freight plus duty) and had different bolt placements.
   This works fairly well, but it is never exact - standing rigging should be replaced about every 10 years or so, as should life rafts, (insurance companies are now checking this), and this creates a huge "blip" in the maintenance costs. So some years you have a very small expenditure, and other years make your eyes water!
   I consider Marina fees as running costs, as they depend on where you are, and yes, the more you can do yourself the cheaper it is, as well as being immensly satisfying!!

Mike & Chris
Santorin 27
Akwaaba

From: Lars H. Knudsen <museum@...>

To: amelyachtowners@...

From: Kent Robertson <karkauai@... <mailto:karkauai%40yahoo.com> >

To: amelyachtowners@... <mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com>

From: Alexandre Uster von Baar <uster@... <mailto:uster%40rocketmail.com> >

To: amelyachtowners@... <mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com>

Date: Tuesday, November 16, 2010, 2:10 PM

I am seriously interested in purchasing an Amel. The SM cost is above my current budget but I am not discarding it, I am considering Maramu, Santorin and even Mango. Would that be possible to get some feedback on the average yearly up keep/ maintenance (once the sailboat is in absolute ready to cruise condition). A French web site mentions 3500 € ($4,900) per year on an SM, this seems a bit low. I am not looking for insurance nor marina fees, just the maintenance/upkeep costs such as hoses, filters, bearings, bushings, seals, etc.

Thanks in advance. Sincerely, Alexandre

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Dear Mike & Chris, thanks for your reply. What should be considered “older” boats: 15 years?  20 years?  25 years?  I was also told 10% per year of the vessel value but saw 3500 € ($4,900) per year which seem low…  Kent spent $60,000 over the last 2 years, which is about 10% of the estimated ($350,000) price for a SM.
Do you happen to remember how much it cost to change the standing rigging on your Santorin?
Thanks again for your help, sincerely, Alexandre

Thank you for your reply Kent, so $60,000 on 2 years. Were you aware of the repair needed when you purchased her? Do you do the work yourself? Thanks for your time, Alexandre

I am seriously interested in purchasing an Amel. The SM cost is above my current budget but I am not discarding it, I am considering Maramu, Santorin and even Mango. Would that be possible to get some feedback on the average yearly up keep/ maintenance (once the sailboat is in absolute ready to cruise condition). A French web site mentions 3500 € ($4,900) per year on an SM, this seems a bit low. I am not looking for insurance nor marina fees, just the maintenance/upkeep costs such as hoses, filters, bearings, bushings, seals, etc.

Thanks in advance. Sincerely, Alexandre

karkauai

Hey, Alex.  Was aware of a few things, not most of it.  Things quit working one at a time over the last two years.  Big ticket items were: New set of sails, replacing standing rigging, new SSB antenna, lots of $ trying to figure out why I couldn't get appropriate rpms...turned out to be overpropped by Amel, but took a lot of time and several mechanics to convince me that there wasn't a problem with the engine since it was original prop sold with boat (Amel still says it's the right prop although Autoprop says it was the prop they recommended for my boat with a 100HP Yanmar, mine's a 78HP Volvo)...new furling and outhaul motors and gear boxes for the main (poorly maintained from the start I think), one of the three refrigerators needed new motor and compressor, new canvas for cockpit enclosure and awning, new VHF radio with AIS, The Cap'n navigation software, new fire suppression system with automatic shutoff/manual override for engine and
generator, stripped gears in the mizzen furler...I'm working off the top of my head and am sure I've missed a few items.  Now new water heater and bilge pump.

I've done some of it myself, but the majority of it done by boatyards since I'm still working and the boat's a 6 hr drive from where I live (in the foothills far from salt water).  It is true that the boat is 11 years old and many of the problems are expected after that long.  Once I can get retired completely and live aboard, I will be able to do much if not most of it myself now that I've been able to learn from what's been done.  I wouldn't expect anywhere near this much expense now that most of the major items have been replaced or overhauled.  Dual drive autopilot is working fine but I'd expect that will be a big ticket item before too long.

I've read that when you buy a boat that's in the kind of shape KRISTY was in when I bought her (virtually everything worked at the survey) you should expect to spend another 15-20% of the purchase price on getting it ship-shape and the way you want it.  I've spent over 25% so far, not counting regular maintenance, dockage/storage, etc.

Again, if your boat is close enough to you and you have the time to work on it yourself, you will save at least half of what you'd spend having a yard do the work.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.
Kent
SM243
KRISTY

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Dear Kent, thank you very much for the detailed list, very interesting especially for the propeller.  I really appreciate your feedback.