----Messaggio originale----
Da: yachtakwaaba@yahoo.com
Data: 18-mar-2011 17.15
A: <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>
Ogg: [Amel] Re: All Battery Chargers

----Messaggio originale----
Da: yachtakwaaba@yahoo.com
Data: 18-mar-2011 17.15
A: <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>
Ogg: [Amel] Re: All Battery Chargers

Hi every body,
I've been reading all the posts about battery chargers and sizes etc etc with interest, and hark back to the "old days" when there was only one type of battery and one type, (usually from the local garage), of charger, which you temporarily rigged to your battery,(ies), if you had a "big boat"!
I've spent some time giving briefings to fellow cruisers on battery management....it's a subject my wife says she's heard so often........why don't yacht builders do it she asks!
With modern smart mains driven chargers, the charging profile is set by the selection of "battery type" on the charger. This is important as gel cell, lead acid, alkaline and others have different charging regimes. Some take a high initial charge, tapering off with rising battery voltage, others need a constant current charge, whilst others need a dwell period with no charge, before restarting the charge cycle etc etc..
Most modern "smart chargers" can cope with this, and with a shore powered system you are less concerned about time to full charge, so a 30 or 40A charger is OK for about 300-500AH of installed capacity. (remember to include your engine start battery if it's separate)
Running on generator you want a faster charge, so a 50A (or higher) charger to speed up the recharge cycle - 50A at 24V is a little over 6A at 220v depending on charger efficiency. But on engine alternator the ideal alternator size is between 1/3 to 1/5 of your installed capacity.
I still run on 6v lead acid (golf cart) batteries ganged to give me 350AH, supported by a 70A 12v engine alternator, and a 45A shaft alternator. (balanced so it runs with engine on)
For those with lead acid batteries, I can post notes on what I regard as the critical aspect of battery management - namely equalization, which if your smart charger supports it is the way to prolong battery life. Early Amels, like my Santorin, live or die on the effeciency of their batteries, as they are things that cope with the sudden high demands of furling motors or bow thrusters.
More later - if anybody wishes - sorry if I am preaching to the converted

Mike &amp; (long suffering wife Chris)
Akwaaba SN 27

From: annejohnholl@gmail.com
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 15:21:27 +0000
Subject: [Amel] Dolphin Battery Chargers
Hi Ian and Judy, My boat is only a few weeks older than yours and has two chargers,30 and 50 amp.I had a problem with one and sent it back to Reya who repaired it and sent it back promptly and so far as I recall it was not very expensive.I removed the circuit board and only sent that to reduce weight. The company is in the S of France and the web site is Reya. com. Email export at reya.com but my contact was an Irish girl lucy.kelly at reya.com The phone no is 0033 0493904700.
The man who had his electronics destroyed by a lightning strike got new ones at the expense of his insurers and perhaps you could do the same as you have an agents report that yours is irrepairable. From memory the standard SM only had a 30amp charger and the 50 was an extra. I have little doubt that if I had to replace my chargers I would go for the 100 amp version The modern versions are a bit different and and have an adjustment for the type of battery with a choice of about 6 or 7 types.The instruction manuals for the current models is on the Reya web site. Incidentally when I had mine repaired I asked them to make it as their standard model as I had little faith that the Amel version was as good as the Reya version.
Happy charging, Anne and John, Bali Hai, SM 319

-->

Richard03801 <richard03801@...>

Chris If you are at 28.1 volts for a long time check you charger that is to high. Also keep an eye on battery heat as well as the condition of the acid. It should be around 1250.

Regards
Richard sm 209

On Mar 18, 2011, at 14:39, "gtesta23@tin.it" <gtesta23@tin.it> wrote:

Hi Chris,
Thanks for your suggestions
I have 12 new DEKA lead acid deep cycle batteries. About 630 Ah.
My Dolphin 30 A charger works slowly up to 28.1,2 v. Than, I suppose, it should go down to about 27 /26.5 v in stand by. ( no boost).
The my one seems to remain at 28.1 for long time boosting few amperes.
Is the charger to little for my 630 Ah ?
thanks in advance
All the best
Gianni Testa
sv EUTIKIA SM 428

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
From: annejohnholl@gmail.com
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 15:21:27 +0000
[...]

amelliahona <no_reply@...>

Hi Gianni:

I installed 12 new Trojan SCS225 deep cycle batteries about 9 months ago. They are flooded lead acid batteries.
I chose to have these since I had understood that absorbed gas matt (aka gel cell) batteries didn't tolerate
the heat of the Caribbean well. My engine starting battery is a Deka and is a high cranking power battery. Not
sure of it's number but it was a group 31 battery and I considered buying 12 more to serve as my house
batteries because they were compatible with the existing Amel copper bar connecting plates. The supplier
didn't have 12 more available and I further researched the one I had and found that it was not a deep cycle
battery and thus decided on the Trojans.

At any rate, we were in a marina for a few days after having been charging on the generator for a few weeks,
and I had the 30 amp Dolphin charger on to "top up the batteries" One morning I came from the aft cabin
and while walking through quarter-berth companionway, placed my hand on the berth mattress and noticed
that it was very very warm. I opened the battery compartment and found all the batteries actively gassing
and bubbling to overflowing electrolyte. Using an infrared thermometer I measured the temp of the batteries
at 135-145 deg F. The voltage was about 28.3 volts. As I recall they were still having 18 amps pumped into
them even after 36 hrs on the charger. It seemed that the 30 amp Dolphin charger had failed to switch from
"bulk" charge to float charge. Fortunately the batteries didn't have the plates exposed and hopefully they do
not have warped plates from the excessive heat.

I called the Dophin charger people in the US and spoke to them. They suggested re-setting the charger
by disconnecting the voltage to the charger, letting it sit for 30 minutes and then reconnecting to the
batteries. I did this by "turning off the main battery switches" assuming that I was indeed disconnecting
the charger from the batteries. When I didn't see any change in the behavior of the charger I assumed that
the charger was faulty. As we were leaving the boat I didn't take any further action to trouble-shoot the issue.

Now, with the information that the battery switches don't disconnect the batteries from the charger (at least
on SN 318, and will shortly be determined if that is the same on my boat), perhaps my old Dolphin 30 amp
charger can be made to behave. At any rate, I will no longer take the automatic functioning of my charger
for granted, and I am considering installing a temperature alarm on my battery bank so I won't risk
destroying $3,000 US worth of batteries due to a faulty charger. Watch your battery temperatures, and the
amperage going into the battery bank carefully as it sounds like your charger is doing the same thing
mine was.

Just my thoughts,

Gary Silver

Amel SM 2000 #335