From: Belit Bh <belitbh@...>
Subject: [Amel] Draining of water from chain locker
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Monday, April 4, 2011, 1:35 PM

Hi once again,

when cleaned my Chain locker earlier this week (highly recommended to do this -
lots of surprises there) have found out that:
1. access is terrible - believe (hope) there is a good reason for this.
2. that I have no clue where the water are drained from...
3. actually I found a clue which is a hole on the left side of the boat, but not
sure is the one - can anyone confirm?
4. again have no clue how to clean the draining (the whole way) - does anyone
have an idea?

hope someone could assist with it...

gooday

Belit

Jim Dernehl <jim.dernehl@...>

Pao-San #88

Kent,
Very interesting input regarding the chain locker----I had exactly the same problem---forward locker full of water. I sailed from Norfolk Virginia to Panama without realizing the locker was full of water. Once I turned/opened the valve it all drained out and then I dealt with the mess---some of the wood was damaged and I removed it. I cut out the flooring---but left about 1-2 inches of the fiberglass flooring edge. I used this edge as a support for a new teak floor---similar in design to the shower floor in the Amel heads. It allows everything to breath/air out and dry. The strong wood design supports all my anchors and road. Any water drains out plus I can remove the floor by lifting it out and easily clean the chain locker. Like the best things in life---it is simple and it works!!!
Best Jim Dernehl

From: Belit Bh <belitbh@...>
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Monday, April 4, 2011, 1:35 PM

Hi once again,

when cleaned my Chain locker earlier this week (highly recommended to do this -
lots of surprises there) have found out that:
1. access is terrible - believe (hope) there is a good reason for this.
2. that I have no clue where the water are drained from...
3. actually I found a clue which is a hole on the left side of the boat, but not
sure is the one - can anyone confirm?
4. again have no clue how to clean the draining (the whole way) - does anyone
have an idea?

hope someone could assist with it...

gooday

Belit

belitbh <belitbh@...>

Thanks Kent and Jim,

Forgot to mention that actually have reached the locker after repairing the floor of the right forward locker as the wood was exposed under the epoxy...(was humid and the spare anchor was sitting there directly on the floor and sharp steel + heavy whether x salty water + epoxy cover = cracks and rot apparently), however, did not understand fully, assuming the valve is in the same place (my is Santorin) when open the valve it goes directly to the sea unlike when it closed than goes to the bilge?
if not so, where the water supposed to go when the valve is closed?

Belit

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "Jim Dernehl" <jim.dernehl@...> wrote:

[...]

karkauai

Different drains on the Santorin and SM,Belit. But on Santorin it sounds like it would collect in the foreward shower drain. In SM it stays in the chain locker if the valve is closed. No drain to the outside of the boat.
Kent

karkauai

My locker was still in good shape in spite of the water that sat ther for two years. Will have to look at it regularly now to ensure no damage to F/G floor. I'll definitely do John's(MoonDog) suggestion about lenghthening the line at the bitter end.
Has anyone come up with an innovative way to keep sea water from entering thru the hole in the deck where the chain goes into the locker? The rubber flap on Kristy has disappeared, but never seemed to help much anyway.
Thanks,
Kent