From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Rainer Huthmacher
Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2011 1:25 PM
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Amel] Alternator on Perkins Prima m80

Hello everybody,On my Perkins Prima mt80 I have a 30amp Motorolla alternator
wich I would like to replace with a Balmar 70amp unit. As I'm in the US
right now I would like to by it here, because it is less than half of what
it is in Europe. Unfortunately I don't have the measurements of the
Motorolla with me and here comes my question: Does anybody know witch Balmar
model has the same measurements as the Motorolla unit? Every suggestions are
appreciated.
Joel, your comments are aways a pleasure to read and we all wait for that
book....
Eric, your hurricane story and your seamanship are both incredible....
Yossi, I was looking over 3 years around the world at every Amel for sale
(Maramu and Mango). Finaly I bought a Supermaramu for 145.000.- Euros(the
cheapest I ever heard of) but invested allready 30.000.- and will invest
another 30.000.- to feel confident with the boat.(all the work done by
myself) A seworthy Maramu will cost you 100.000.- Euros, everything else is
a projectboat
All the best to all of you,Rainer HuthmacherSM#69 "Yin Yang"To:
amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
From: dave_benjamin@yahoo.com
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 19:38:23 +0000
Subject: [Amel] Re: Want to buy Amel maramu

Yossi,

Good luck. I think at that price point you will have a project boat needing
a major refit. Perhaps you may want to consider the Sharki. It's very much
like the Maramu except there is no toilet compartment in the aft cabin.

You will find it far more economical to buy a Maramu that has been updated
than to refit one yourself. Our Maramu had approximimately $130,000 USD
invested in it by the previous owner over four years and we probably spent
another $20K ourselves.

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "yossi_kl" <yossi_kl@...> wrote:

Well maintained inside,outside,engine ext. and very good equipped for sea
going .

My budget for purchasing a boat is 100,000 (USD).
Thanks a lot
Yossi

Rainer Huthmacher

Hi john,
Wow that was a fast reply. As your SM is also of '93 and you are looking to replace your alternator what do you think about the Balmar series 6 24volt 70 amp? Just curios...
Rainer

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
From: jsrogers@charter.net
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 16:20:09 -0400
Subject: RE: [Amel] Alternator on Perkins Prima m80

I have removed the Motorolla alternator from my 1993 SM. While I am still

looking for a match, I can easily make measurements for you.

John Rogers

SM #105

From: dave_benjamin@yahoo.com

Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 19:38:23 +0000

Yossi,

Good luck. I think at that price point you will have a project boat needing

a major refit. Perhaps you may want to consider the Sharki. It's very much

like the Maramu except there is no toilet compartment in the aft cabin.

You will find it far more economical to buy a Maramu that has been updated

than to refit one yourself. Our Maramu had approximimately $130,000 USD

invested in it by the previous owner over four years and we probably spent

another $20K ourselves.

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "yossi_kl" <yossi_kl@...> wrote:

Well maintained inside,outside,engine ext. and very good equipped for sea
going .

My budget for purchasing a boat is 100,000 (USD).

Thanks a lot

Yossi

john rogers <jsrogers@...>

Yes it is amazing how well this blog works. I met another couple last
summer on an Amel Mango, who replaced their alternator with a Balmar and
were very pleased. For me the project has been on a back burner, till I
check my cruising rpm, pulley size and bolt dimensions, etc. However, you
are prompting me to look into it further.

From: dave_benjamin@yahoo.com

Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 19:38:23 +0000

Yossi,

Good luck. I think at that price point you will have a project boat needing

a major refit. Perhaps you may want to consider the Sharki. It's very much

like the Maramu except there is no toilet compartment in the aft cabin.

You will find it far more economical to buy a Maramu that has been updated

than to refit one yourself. Our Maramu had approximimately $130,000 USD

invested in it by the previous owner over four years and we probably spent

another $20K ourselves.

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "yossi_kl" <yossi_kl@...> wrote:

Well maintained inside,outside,engine ext. and very good equipped for sea
going .

My budget for purchasing a boat is 100,000 (USD).

Thanks a lot

Yossi

john rogers <jsrogers@...>

Rainer, while I have been occupied about how to replace my Motorola Prop
generator, I did not realize that you are asking about the main 24V
alternator. The previous owner of my SM replaced the original Motorola
alternator with a Balmar 65 Amp alternator, Model No. 9024, Serial No. 10713
model, and this has been working without any issues.

Regarding the selection process I found the attached pdf file which may be
of help to you.

From: dave_benjamin@yahoo.com

Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 19:38:23 +0000

Yossi,

Good luck. I think at that price point you will have a project boat needing

a major refit. Perhaps you may want to consider the Sharki. It's very much

like the Maramu except there is no toilet compartment in the aft cabin.

You will find it far more economical to buy a Maramu that has been updated

than to refit one yourself. Our Maramu had approximimately $130,000 USD

invested in it by the previous owner over four years and we probably spent

another $20K ourselves.

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "yossi_kl" <yossi_kl@...> wrote:

Well maintained inside,outside,engine ext. and very good equipped for sea
going .

My budget for purchasing a boat is 100,000 (USD).

Thanks a lot

Yossi

Rainer Huthmacher

Thanks so much, this info will do it.....

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com