[Amel] Lofrans windlasses

Dennis Woods <DENNISWOODS@...>

Hi Jorge,
Mine did the same. It hauled up the anchor on its own and could not be
switched off. even disconnecting the switches on the cockpit panel. It
would only stop when you switched it off on main fuse panel in the
forward cabin. The fault was the Lofrans control panel also located on
the front of the port side locker. This was relaced and all ok.
Regards,
Dennis Woods IL Flauto Magico SM2K 408

On 29 May 2011, at 07:05, Jorge wrote:

Hi all
I have a Lofrans mod Tigres, and today after a heavy rain while at
dock,at 5 am my windlass started to work alone, Y normally tie the
anchor as a safety precaution, and so this time.
I I haven´t done it, this time, the anchor and chain would have gone
to the water. Wet switch ?

Any comments?
Jorge and Isabel
SV Excalibur

Anne and John Hollamby <annejohnholl@...>

I would have suspected the switches on the top of the winch as these are a Pochon/Amel "inprovement" to the winch and prone to failure and the type used is not readily available in chandleries. It is very easy to disconnect them and use deck mounted switches further forward so that it is easy to see the anchor coming up.

Anne and John, SM 319, Bali Hai

[...]

Jorge Zlatar <jorge.zlatar@...>

Thanks everybody for your comments, I will change them to the  deck mounted switches, easy to get  anywhere and I think they have less problems.I realize this is something that you can´t wait that they fail to change them..I received a comment of another Amel owner, that had this problem in 40 knots and 4 mts seas, the anchor went loose and the damage was Eu 100.000. The switch is Us $ 10.00.

________________________________

[...]

Hola Jorge, I really recommend that you use a snubber when you anchor. Not only does this mean that your winch is only carrying the weight of the chain when you are using it but , more importantly, if your winch starts to unload of its own accord---or if the chain jumps off the gypsy-- you are still safely attached to your anchor. We use a snubber every time we anchor, a simple stainless steel hook attached to about 10m of octoplait. Never had a problem detaching it in all conditions over the last 17 years, certainly over a thousand anchorages. Fair winds, Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Ibiza

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
From: jorge.zlatar@yahoo.com
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 07:52:30 -0700

[...]

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Ian and Judy and Jorge, when underway the anchor should always be secured, coastal voyages we shackle it, off shore we shackle and seriously lash it. Many yachts have been lost through anchors coming adrift in heavy weather.
You cannot trust wiches and switches for something so dangerous
Regards
Danny
SM299
Ocean Pearl
Mangonui
NZ

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
From: jorge.zlatar@yahoo.com
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 07:52:30 -0700

[...]

Hi Ian,
Long time::::......
Yes you are right,I do it all the time, Thanks for your advise anyway...
How are the davits still working? We are now in Turkey.
See you some time again.
Best regards to Judy
Jorge Zlatar SV Excalibur

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
From: jorge.zlatar@yahoo.com
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 07:52:30 -0700

[...]

john rogers <jsrogers@...>

Another comment about Windless switches. An Electrician at Newport Shipyard
has recommended that I install a relay controlled by the helm anchor wash
down switch which will also activate and deactivate power at the windlass.
This will also prevent an accidental activation of the windlass, which
could result in the damages mentioned.