From: Kent <karkauai@...>
To: amelyachtowners@...
Sent: Monday, 13 June 2011 5:43 AM
Subject: [Amel] SM2000 Lewmar Winches

Hi again everyone,
I'm trying to put together a list of spares and rebuild kits I'll need when I go back down to Trinidad to do some maintenance chores on KRISTY. I need to clean and overhaul all the winches but don't know what size rebuild kits to order. Does anyone have a list of the winches on the SM2000 they would share with me? Does anyone have any suggestions about doing this task other than what is on the Lewmar videos? Are there any particular parts that seem to break down faster than others? What should I do regarding the electric motors on the jib and main sheet winches?

I should add that everything seems to be working fine, but that the winches all seem a little stiffer than they were 1 1/2 years ago when I had them all serviced in Deltaville.

Thanks as usual for your help and advice,
Kent
SM 243
KRISTY

karkauai

Thanks, Barb.  Maybe he'll still have your info and can tell me the size winches on the SM.
Kent

[...]

Thank you, Mike.  As KRISTY is 12 years old now and I don't think she was maintained the last 4-5 years before I bought her, I'm trying to go over everything systematically to avoid things going bad while I'm out cruising.  (At least as much as possible.)  I'll have a look at those bolts and drain holes while I'm at it.  Would you do anything with the motors themselves if all was working OK?
Kent
SM243
KRISTY

Chris Smither <yachtakwaaba@...>

Kent,
    All mine are manual, but it is a good thing to have DC motors checked every 10 years or so
   The carbon brushes gradually wear away, and leave a residue of carbon on the commutator. This should be cleaned off and the gaps between the copper strips cleared of any build up. This is a simple but skilled job, so if you are uncertain, better get a good electrician to do it. If the brushes are worn below 50%, I, personally, would replace them whilst you have the motor in bits.
    Most DC motors use standard brushes, probably a standardeuropean size - your dificulty will be to find the equivalent, but there again an electrician used  to dealing with DC motors should have access to equivalents.

Good luck- Mike

PS: remember Murphy's second law of yachting   "Interchangeable parts don't"

________________________________
Thank you, Mike.  As KRISTY is 12 years old now and I don't think she was maintained the last 4-5 years before I bought her, I'm trying to go over everything systematically to avoid things going bad while I'm out cruising.  (At least as much as possible.)  I'll have a look at those bolts and drain holes while I'm at it.  Would you do anything with the motors themselves if all was working OK?
Kent
SM243
KRISTY

karkauai

Thanks Chris, that's what I needed to hear.  I'll pull the motors when I clean the winches and find someone in Chaguaramas who can service them.

From: karkauai@...
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 13:26:01 -0700

Thanks Chris, that's what I needed to hear. I'll pull the motors when I clean the winches and find someone in Chaguaramas who can service them.
Kent

Thank you, Mike. As KRISTY is 12 years old now and I don't think she was maintained the last 4-5 years before I bought her, I'm trying to go over everything systematically to avoid things going bad while I'm out cruising. (At least as much as possible.) I'll have a look at those bolts and drain holes while I'm at it. Would you do anything with the motors themselves if all was working OK?
Kent
SM243
KRISTY

jlm@jlmertz.fr

If you want to clean the winches by yourself I recommended you to do the
work *_with an ultrasonic washer_*
it coast between 50-100 euros and You can also clean many other thinks
(engine injectors, etc..)
results : 1 to 2 ours per winch :-)
jluc
cottonbay

To: amelyachtowners@...
From: karkauai@...
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 13:26:01 -0700

Thanks Chris, that's what I needed to hear. I'll pull the motors when I clean the winches and find someone in Chaguaramas who can service them.
Kent

Thank you, Mike. As KRISTY is 12 years old now and I don't think she was maintained the last 4-5 years before I bought her, I'm trying to go over everything systematically to avoid things going bad while I'm out cruising. (At least as much as possible.) I'll have a look at those bolts and drain holes while I'm at it. Would you do anything with the motors themselves if all was working OK?
Kent
SM243
KRISTY

karkauai

Hi, John,
Thanks for that advice.  I thought I'd start by taking apart the two winches that feel the "stiffest" (the two halyard winches on the main mast) and see what they look like.  If all is well on those two and greasing them doesn't make a significant difference in how they feel, I probably won't do the rest of them yet.

I'm still pretty paranoid about Venezuela.

Hi to Ruth.
Kent
SM243
KRISTY

karkauai

Interesting, JLuc.  I'll be interested in how big they are and how easily they'll store on the boat.
Kent