headsail idea

Dave_Benjamin

I'm thinking about building an upwind sail when things slow down a bit this winter. It would be flown from a Dyneema stay. I'm thinking the stay could possibly be lashed to the foredeck cleat. I have no idea if this factoid is true but I read that the original concept with the huge foredeck cleat is that the boat could be lifted with a 3 point harness using that cleat for the forward attachment.

Since the effective J of this sail would be small-ish I'm thinking about building it with some battens so we can have some positive roach. The sail would stow in a zipper bag secured to the rail so the battens would not make it too tough to stow.

If anyone has tried something similar or has some ideas to offer, I'd love to hear them. Not sure yet what I'll use for material.

I'm thinking this would be a really useful sail if we were doing a passage like Hawaii to the west coast. When we built the genoa the idea was to create a really good reaching and downwind sail for use with the balooner. So the genoa isn't all that great upwind.

Not sure what we'd do for sheeting yet. Anyhow, love to hear ideas if you have any.

Regards,

Dave Benjamin
S/V Exit Strategy
Maramu #29

jjjk12s <jjjk12s@...>

Popeye (Maramu #91) has a solent stay which attaches with a pelican hook to a "D ring" type arrangement that is part of the stainless bow fitting but a few inches behind the forestay. It easily attaches out of the way to a D ring by the shrouds when not in use. I thought this is original equipment. Very handy for a variety of hank on sails and also in a crisis if there is a problem with the forestay.

John

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "Dave_Benjamin" <dave_benjamin@...> wrote:

[...]

John,

Do you have the Nirvana genoa furler installed with the "cage" up at the top of the mast? If so, I'm curious to know where and how the solent is attached to the mast. I don't think your solent stay was original equipment but it's certainly an excellent addition. We prefer to attach the stay as high as as we can for a number of reasons, one of them being a higher aspect sail will be more efficient than a lower aspect sail.

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "jjjk12s" <jjjk12s@...> wrote:

[...]

Dave,

We have an Isomat mast with the solent stay attached to the masthead fitting. The forestay has a Profurl unit.