From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Jean-Luc
Sent: Sunday, October 09, 2011 12:23 PM
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Amel] Current in the bow truster at starting !! (link is her
corect)

I broke without making a wrong action :
- All nylon screw of the propeller,
- The motor shaft
- The internal parts

so I recently measured the current in the bowthuster: 950A! at starting.
You can see the graphics in the Photo section :
st

Hopping it can help you anderstandsomme some problems.
jluc CottonBay

jlm@jlmertz.fr

YES,
The torque at starting is to height and perhaps the nominal torque,
All the pieces that brake (see photos) brook under normal condition.
Actually I am studying adding a soft start (for next year)
I am not happy with AMEL after sales they refuse to replace the parts so
Next boat will be an OYSTER .....
JLuc

Le 09/10/2011 20:01, kimberlite a écrit :

Jean-luc.

Do I understand correctly that all the parts listed in your email broke
while using your bow thruster?

Did it happen at one time?

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite

?

_____

From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
so I recently measured the current in the bowthuster: 950A! at starting.
You can see the graphics in the Photo section :
st

Hopping it can help you anderstandsomme some problems.
jluc CottonBay

Dimitris Krassopoulos <dkra@...>

You can make all the parts in a local machine shop. You can manufacture them
by high tensil metal without a problem and they are going to function much
better than the original parts. You should leave the plastic screws on the
propeller as a fuse if you catch a rope or plastic bag. According to others
you can put grease instead of oil so the bowthruster is going to work more
smoothly. I know that the whole system is a weak point of the SM this one of
the reasons that I decided to buy the Amel 54. Regarding your decision to
buy an Oyster I am sure that you are going to have much more problems with
the after sales support as the boats are manufactured in different yards
with different parts. The important thing with Amel boats of the same
generation is that they are more or less the same with same parts.

Regards

Dimitris

From: <mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com>

Jurgen <jurgenjohanssen@...>

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "Dimitris Krassopoulos" <dkra@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Dimitris,
as you might have read I lost my bowthruster propeller unit into the sea. A very nice Greek fisherman retrieved it. You mentioned that one could fabricate all parts in steel. What about the fiberglasstube which attaches to the thruster motor and houses the motor/propeller shaft. My tube is too short now because it sheared off where the motor srews are. May be you can give me some ideas.

Best regards
Jurgen Mango 'ARGO VI'

From: <mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com>
amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
< <mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com>
mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com>
< <mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com>
mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com>
corect)

I broke without making a wrong action :
- All nylon screw of the propeller,
- The motor shaft
- The internal parts

so I recently measured the current in the bowthuster: 950A! at starting.
You can see the graphics in the Photo section :
st

Hopping it can help you anderstandsomme some problems.
jluc CottonBay

Dimitris Krassopoulos <dkra@...>

Dear Jurgen,

I was reffering to the internal parts of the bowthruster not the housing.
Sorry . The machine shop I used was in Syros and since the replacement
everything was working fine.

Dimitris

From: <mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com>
amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com <mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com>
< <mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com>
mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com>
< <mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com>
mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com>
corect)

I broke without making a wrong action :
- All nylon screw of the propeller,
- The motor shaft
- The internal parts

so I recently measured the current in the bowthuster: 950A! at starting.
You can see the graphics in the Photo section :
st

Hopping it can help you anderstandsomme some problems.
jluc CottonBay

Jurgen Johanssen <jurgenjohanssen@...>

Dimitris,

thank you very much for your answer.

Best regards
Jurgen

________________________________

From: <mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com>
amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com <mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com>
< <mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com>
mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com>
< <mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com>
mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com>
corect)

I broke without making a wrong action :
- All nylon screw of the propeller,
- The motor shaft
- The internal parts

so I recently measured the current in the bowthuster: 950A! at starting.
You can see the graphics in the Photo section :
st

Hopping it can help you anderstandsomme some problems.
jluc CottonBay

Eric Freedman

Hi,

Do you have photos of the broken parts?

Ps I always race a 57 foot Oyster from St Martin to New York.

I have beaten him buy 17 hours to 2 days I have never lost and I use a 110
Yankee cut 10oz headsail..

The skipper is Bill Seifert who ran the Tartan Factory, the J-boat factory,
and the Alden Factory. Now he just maintains the owners 2 Oysters. East and
West coasts of the USA.

He also wrote a book called Offshore Sailing , and lectures at the
Marion-Bermuda safety at sea course.

I hate the companionway steps, it is like climbing Mt Everest, and the
saloon is too big for offshore, the ports are also too large.

Bill spends the winter on the boat maintaining it. If you want a lot of
maintenance and a poor offshore boat, get an Oyster. My friend bill agrees.

From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com

From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com

From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com

From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
so I recently measured the current in the bowthuster: 950A! at starting.
You can see the graphics in the Photo section :
st

Hopping it can help you anderstandsomme some problems.
jluc CottonBay

murray k. seidel <mseidel@...>

Eric- I have known Bill Siefert since I owned a Tartan 34 and Tartan 37,
each for 10 years and raced hard. I also spent time with him and his wife
when I was at the Naval War college in the early 80’s. So what was an
orthopedic surgeon doing at the War college? Long story besides having been
on active duty in the Navy Vietnam era. Please pass my e-mail address on to
him and phone number. mseidel@ec.rr.com and 910-470-1225. Thanks. Murray
Seidel, Wilmington, N.C.

From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com

From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com