Re : Re : [Amel] Navigation Charts- Android

Serge Tremblay <laetitiaii@...>

Hi Duncan,

OPEN CPN is a navigation software, similar to those commercially available.

People have a prejudice against 'free' software.

In the present situation, the free software is simpler and more efficient than the commercially available others, - while i have to admit, Open CPN does not have the 'spare parts' management facility of ' Cap'tain', but... being able to record that i have two spare oil filters can be done otherwise ...

Download it, try it on your  computer - whatever version works for you - Windows', Mac or Linux and if you want to use it with Android, try it. I have not used it with Android, but I am advised it works. I would not be interested in what i consider 'gadgets', but if you like strolling the cockpit while listening to your favorite music and looking at a small chart showing the position of your vessel at anchor ... or at sea ... ( I recognise the tablet or telephone mignt be useful for a crew, uncertain of the ability of the skipper!)

This 'free' software works better with AIS...  certainly as good as MaxSea, in my humble opinion.

We have been told so eloquently that 'Santa does not exist' that we become unable to recognize that there 'still' is good FREE software... there is a colony - isolated in the cyber-never-landed floating world, that hopes, everything good does not have a financial price or is made commercially.

This is why I love sailors, most of them are ready to help without asking for a bankcard...

But do not repeat it to anyone, it might spoil the secret and the fun of being a 'pleasure' boat user...

Serge, V Opéra - Mango #51

Hi Serge,

Well, I am more confused than ever.  What is OPEN CPN? (is that Captain?)  I looked a the hyperlink to android and I might as well be reading Greek.  Is the Android only good for the small screen of a smart phone?

Duncan
On Nov 29, 2011, at 8:52 AM, Serge Tremblay wrote:

Hi,
While I have commercial versions of Captain and  MaxSea, I prefer  the software of OPEN CPN (free software) with the  C-Map charts i purchased with MaxSea.

I understand that OPEN CPN is available for Android:http://fr.androidzoom.com/android_applications/communication/openvpn-installer_epia.html

Serge, V Opera , Mango #51

De : Giovanni Testa <gtesta23@tin.it>
À : amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Envoyé le : Mardi 29 Novembre 2011 8h38
Objet : Re: [Amel] Navigation Charts

Hi to all,
do you have some experiences with new navionics app. for I.TAP2 or Samsung Android ?
fair winds
Gianni
sv EUTIKIA
De : Duncan Hagemeyer <wdhagemeyer@gmail.com>
À : amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Envoyé le : Mardi 29 Novembre 2011 22h06
Objet : Re: Re : [Amel] Navigation Charts- Android