Linear drive installation

Patrick McAneny

Rob, I have not seen the pictures in years ,but you should be able to see them in the photo/file section. Assuming you do not have a factory installed linear drive and would like to install one ,take a look ,any questions ,don't hesitate to ask.
Pat
Sm Shenanigans #123

-----Original Message-----
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Sent: Sun, Mar 21, 2021 3:08 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Linear drive installation

Hi Pat

I'd be very interested in seeing your linear drive installation pictures too.

Regards
Rob

FORESIGHT 

SM #152

On Sun, 21 Mar 2021, 12:51 Patrick McAneny via groups.io, <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Eamonn, You came to the same conclusion as I did. I originally took a photo from an Amel  with a factory installed drive ,and intended to install mine in the same way. It became clear that to do so, I would need to cut out structural stringers and cut out the tabbing that secured the plywood bed base on the starboard side to remove it ,none of which I was willing to do. Also to mount the drive and to calculate the throw (travel) of the arm ,would have been very hard . As you said , the way I installed it ,only required a small amount of cosmetic change ,and I enclosed the arm within a small mahogany box that is up and out of the way,which you never even notice .
From my photos you can see where I mounted the base to the bulkhead under the bed , I added (epoxied ) backing plates and spacers . I will take some addition photos and measurements and send them along or place them in the photo section along with the rest of my photos on the subject,if that is possible. I will have to consult with my in house nerd , Diane on that. It is all that I can do to reply (type) with my two index fingers. They did not teach typing back in my day , as it was before the invention of the typewriter. Well my fingers are sore ,see ya.
Pat 
SM Shenanigans #123

To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Sat, Mar 20, 2021 10:54 am

Hi Pat

it seems that Amel installed autopilots directly on the quadrant which were based on the aft arm of the quadrant being extended aft.  Older Super Maramus cannot extend the quadrant aft without making structural changes to the stringers, which is an unnecessary risk.  So your solution of extending the forward arm of the quadrant with cosmetic changes only (not structural) is the way to go.

Yes it would be helpful if you measured the thickness of the arm extension that you welded onto the quadrant.  I would be tempted to continue the quadrant extension with metal of the same thickness, or even to make a new one piece extended quadrant.   The dimensions of the extension would be useful too, as well as a close up photo of the extension piece.  No rush, it will be a while before I am allowed near the boat.

Many thanks
--
Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151
Ireland

Rob Smith

Hi Pat

I'd be very interested in seeing your linear drive installation pictures too.

Regards
Rob

FORESIGHT 

SM #152

On Sun, 21 Mar 2021, 12:51 Patrick McAneny via groups.io, <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Eamonn, You came to the same conclusion as I did. I originally took a photo from an Amel  with a factory installed drive ,and intended to install mine in the same way. It became clear that to do so, I would need to cut out structural stringers and cut out the tabbing that secured the plywood bed base on the starboard side to remove it ,none of which I was willing to do. Also to mount the drive and to calculate the throw (travel) of the arm ,would have been very hard . As you said , the way I installed it ,only required a small amount of cosmetic change ,and I enclosed the arm within a small mahogany box that is up and out of the way,which you never even notice .
From my photos you can see where I mounted the base to the bulkhead under the bed , I added (epoxied ) backing plates and spacers . I will take some addition photos and measurements and send them along or place them in the photo section along with the rest of my photos on the subject,if that is possible. I will have to consult with my in house nerd , Diane on that. It is all that I can do to reply (type) with my two index fingers. They did not teach typing back in my day , as it was before the invention of the typewriter. Well my fingers are sore ,see ya.
Pat 
SM Shenanigans #123

Hi Pat

it seems that Amel installed autopilots directly on the quadrant which were based on the aft arm of the quadrant being extended aft.  Older Super Maramus cannot extend the quadrant aft without making structural changes to the stringers, which is an unnecessary risk.  So your solution of extending the forward arm of the quadrant with cosmetic changes only (not structural) is the way to go.

Yes it would be helpful if you measured the thickness of the arm extension that you welded onto the quadrant.  I would be tempted to continue the quadrant extension with metal of the same thickness, or even to make a new one piece extended quadrant.   The dimensions of the extension would be useful too, as well as a close up photo of the extension piece.  No rush, it will be a while before I am allowed near the boat.

Many thanks
--
Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151
Ireland

Brent Cameron

Thanks Pat. I misunderstood. I had thought that you had done the modifications to put in a second linear drive instead of a rotary one (I have never seen a Super Maramu without one so should have guess they were standard).  It all makes complete sense to me now. I completely agree about the redundancy and ability to steer if a cable breaks. I’d definitely want at least one there myself. This forum (and its members) is an awesome resource. Say hi to Diane.   

Brent

On Mar 21, 2021, 8:51 AM -0400, Patrick McAneny via groups.io , wrote:
Pat 
SM Shenanigans #123

Hi Pat

Many thanks
--
Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151
Ireland

--
Brent Cameron

Future Amel Owner & Amel Owner Registry Moderator

Oro-Medonte, Ontario, Canada

Patrick McAneny

Pat 
SM Shenanigans #123

Hi Pat

Many thanks
--
Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151
Ireland

Patrick McAneny

Brent ,My boat came with the rotary drive from the factory ,as I assume all Amels did. The linear drive was an option that the original owner did not purchase. Before I made my first offshore passage , I wanted to have the  of the redundancy that the linear drive offered. Not only if the rotary failed ,but if a cable failed ,you could still steer with the linear drive, also I think it responds quicker and is quieter .
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Sent: Sat, Mar 20, 2021 9:51 am

Hey Pat. A dumb question to try to educate me. I have always heard that the optimal two autopilot setup on the Super Maramu was to have one in the rudder quadrant under the master cabin berth and a rotary drive in the cabinet above the galley sink. I’ve heard that the benefit of this solution is that you run the one under the berth during the day when nobody is occupying it and switch to the one over the galley sink at night. The logic was that as autopilots are almost critical components, you want to spread the load.

I’ve always thought that this being the case that I’d have spare drives of both types and at least one spare computer and head unit (assuming they are interchangeable between the units). I’m curious as to the reason you would put a second linear drive on the rudder quadrant rather than install a rotary drive above the galley sink. (I totally get why you want a second drive). Is it harder to retrofit the chain/cog system for a rotary drive?  Or is there some other reason?  I have noticed that  a lot of 54’s came with dual hydraulic rams under the aft cabin berth but I figured that perhaps they were quieter and it made redundancy easier (same spare could be used for either drive).  I don’t mean to open up a whole different can of worms here but I’d like to understand it better. Thanks. 

Brent
On Mar 20, 2021, 9:12 AM -0400, Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32@...>, wrote:
Eamonn, I just read my post after sending it and I don't think I made the extension arm so heavy ,it is probably made from 1/8" ,3/16" steel at most. I will be down to the boat one day soon , and could take measurements for you ,if you like. I could make a template of the arm and mail it to you as well ,let me know.
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Sent: Fri, Mar 19, 2021 1:10 pm

Hi Pat

I would also like to install a second autopilot with the linear type 2L/24V drive unit directly connected to the quadrant.  Your pictures clearly show what you did.

How did you make the quadrant arm longer, or did you make a new one?  Was it easy to remove?

Did you position the Raymarine ACU-400 near the drive unit (where exactly) or closer to the cockpit?  On SM where Amel made the installation, where is the ACU-400 placed?

Thanks
Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151
Currently on the hard in New Ross, Ireland.

--
Brent Cameron

Stephen Davis

Hi Eamonn,

Pat was kind enough to supply pictures and a template of the tiller extension to us when we were in Hawaii. We sucessfully installed a linear drive based on the information he provided, and have since sailed over 4000 miles with no problems. We also have a 2nd autopilot installed next to the original autopilot along with 2 A/B switches allowing us to operated either drive with either autopilot. Unfortunately, I'm off the boat for a few days, but am happy to provide you with any info you need when I return on Wednesday.

Regards,
Steve Davis
Aloha SM72, Port Townsend, WA

Eamonn Washington

Hi Pat

Many thanks
--
Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151
Ireland

Brent Cameron

Hey Pat. A dumb question to try to educate me. I have always heard that the optimal two autopilot setup on the Super Maramu was to have one in the rudder quadrant under the master cabin berth and a rotary drive in the cabinet above the galley sink. I’ve heard that the benefit of this solution is that you run the one under the berth during the day when nobody is occupying it and switch to the one over the galley sink at night. The logic was that as autopilots are almost critical components, you want to spread the load.

I’ve always thought that this being the case that I’d have spare drives of both types and at least one spare computer and head unit (assuming they are interchangeable between the units). I’m curious as to the reason you would put a second linear drive on the rudder quadrant rather than install a rotary drive above the galley sink. (I totally get why you want a second drive). Is it harder to retrofit the chain/cog system for a rotary drive?  Or is there some other reason?  I have noticed that  a lot of 54’s came with dual hydraulic rams under the aft cabin berth but I figured that perhaps they were quieter and it made redundancy easier (same spare could be used for either drive).  I don’t mean to open up a whole different can of worms here but I’d like to understand it better. Thanks. 

Brent

On Mar 20, 2021, 9:12 AM -0400, Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32@...>, wrote:
Eamonn, I just read my post after sending it and I don't think I made the extension arm so heavy ,it is probably made from 1/8" ,3/16" steel at most. I will be down to the boat one day soon , and could take measurements for you ,if you like. I could make a template of the arm and mail it to you as well ,let me know.
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Hi Pat

I would also like to install a second autopilot with the linear type 2L/24V drive unit directly connected to the quadrant.  Your pictures clearly show what you did.

How did you make the quadrant arm longer, or did you make a new one?  Was it easy to remove?

Did you position the Raymarine ACU-400 near the drive unit (where exactly) or closer to the cockpit?  On SM where Amel made the installation, where is the ACU-400 placed?

Thanks
Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151

--
Brent Cameron

Patrick McAneny

Pat
SM Shenanigans

Hi Pat

Thanks
Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151

Patrick McAneny

Eamonn,
I fabricated an arm from probably 1/4" steel ,which I welded to the existing quadrant ,which extends out into the cabin a few inches, hidden in a matching wood box . The quadrant is very easy to remove. I installed the computer in the compartment above the sink in the galley , a few feet from the autopilot control at the helm. I found to install the linear in the location that Amel did from the factory was next to impossible ,due to space constraints and that Amel had not installed stringers( which would need to be cut out) on boats ordered with factory installed linear drives. I was going to give up on installing a linear drive ,then I came up with this design/install and it as worked very well for 14 years now. 
I sent a template of the arm  to another Amel owner in Hawaii ,who installed a linear drive using this design . I believe he learned the value of having a backup drive ,after having to hand steer half way to Hawaii ,I think a couple of thousand miles. There should be an award for that.
If you should need any other questions answered ,please don't hesitate to contact me .
Good Luck,
Patrick McAneny 
SM Shenanigans #123

Hi Pat

Thanks
Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151

Eamonn Washington

Hi Pat

Thanks
Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151

Patrick McAneny

I thought I would write this post in case someone wanted to install a linear drive in their SM and found it as daunting as I did. I bought a linear drive to install in my SM .I viewed the install, took photos and made templates from a SM that had a factory installed drive.When this fall, I got ready to do the install and contemplated the modifications necessary,and determined I was not willing to cut the boat up, I was ready to put it on ebay. In order to install as per factory, I would have had to cut out a glassed in stringer, fabricate another stringer at an exact angle from center line. cut out the plywood seat that is glassed into the the hull, fabricate a rather large and exactly angled quadrant arm. then install everything maintaining the measurments and angles dictated by Raymarine.( 33 inches pin to pin,14 inch quadrant lenght, 90 degrees angle drive to rudder centered, less than 5 degree above or below quadrant )The work and risk was not worth taking,even though I very much wanted a linear drive on the boat.I then thought of another way to install the drive without all the modifications,a straight quadrant arm and an exact and easy 90 degree angle.I installed the unit under the berth on the port side. I will not go into the details here,but to say the install only took a few hours not including extending the quadrant or fabricating a mahogany box to enclose the quadrant arm. I downloaded photos of the install under Shenanigans.
Thanks,
Pat SM Shenanigans #123