BATTERY CHARGERS

WilliamR <leonorebt@...>

THIS IS BILL ON LEONORE OF SARK SM72. I READ WHERE SEVERAL FOLKS WERE HAVING TROUBLE WITH HIGH AMPERAGE BATTERY CHARGERS WHEN AT THE DOCK WITH REDUCED POWER AVAILABLE.
MY SOLUTION IS THE MASTERVOLT CHARGER WHICH IS A WONDERFUL UNIT. IT HAS THE STANDARD VOLTAGE SETTINGS FOR BULK, ABSORPTION AND FLOAT PHASES OF 28.8, 28.5 AND 26.5V. MINE IS 80A 24V UNIT.
THE BEAUTY IS THAT THE VOLTAGES ARE PROGRAMABLE SO THAT IF AT THE DOCK YOU CAN SET THE BULK VOLTAGE TO SAY 26.5 SO THE AMPS ARE REDUCED DRAMATICALLY AND YOU DO NOT OVERLOAD ANYTHING. YOU CAN EXPERIMENT WITH DIFFERENT VOLTAGES TO SUIT YOUR OWN NEEDS. BUT USUALLY ONCE YOU GET BY THE BULK PHASE THE AMP DRAW IS DOWN SIGNIFICANTLY FOR THE ABSORPTION AND FLOAT STAGES.
THIS ELIMINATES THE NEED FOR TWO CHARGERS!

ANOTHER WONDERFUL ASPECT OF THE MASTERVOLT IS THAT AFTER THE BATTERIES ARE FULLY CHARGED AND YOU DECIDE YOU NEED TO EQUALIZE, YOU CAN RUN UP THE FLOAT VOLTAGE TO SAY 28 OR 30 VOLTS AND IN ESSENSE HAVE AN EQUALIZE FUNCTION WITHOUT ATTEMPTING TO TRIGGER THEIR DIP SWITCH FOR THAT PURPOSE WHICH IS DIFFICULT TO REACH. CAUTION! YOU MUST MANUALLY RESET THE FLOAT VOLTAGE AFTER YOU HAVE EQUALIZED AS DETERMINED BY HYDROMETER READINGS. FAILURE TO DO SO WILL COOK YOUR BATTERIES AS THERE IS NO TIME OUT AS THERE IS WITH A TRUE EQUALIZE.

I HAVE FOUND THE FLEXIBILITY TO BE MUCH APPRECIATED.

BY THE WAY, AFTER MANY YEARS SAILING, LEONORE IS FOR SALE. SEE HER WEB SITE: WWW.AMELYACHT.COM

FAIR WINDS, BILL AND TRUDY

jsrogers47 <jsrogers@...>

Hello
I have a 240v/24v 100 amp Mastervolt battery charger. My 8 batteries were fully charged and the display indicated "Float". I turned off the charger at the circuit breaker and allowed the batteries to discharge to 75% by normal use. Then when I reset the circuit breaker but the charger no longer charged.

Has anyone heard of this happening and know what went wrong, and what it necessary to restore operation or am I looking at buying a new one.

Thank you.

John Rogers
SM #105, It's Good
Stamford, CT