Topics

[Amel] Wind generator - photos - plans

bsarff@...

Lorenzo, what was wrong with the mizzen location?  I'm considering adding a wind generator and was thinking of installing it on the mizzen, either on top or mid-way off a bracket. 

Does anyone else have comments on the installation of a wind generator on a Maramu.

Bob

----- Original Message -----

To: amelyachtowners@...
Sent: Saturday, February 18, 2012 9:24:22 AM
Subject: [Amel] Wind generator - photos - plans

Hi everyone, we want to install an Air breeze on our SM2000. Two years ago we had it mount on mizen mast, but did not convince me much, for the weight and balance.

Now we would install it on pole in the stern portion. Do You have any photos of a wind generator installed?
(I have no idea of the surface of the plate should have and where I can mount it). We're scared about drill our Red Passion :)

Is Stainless steel (inox aisi 316) the right material? Is aluminum better?

Thanks a lot to everyone who read me.

Lorenzo SM2000 #420 Red Passion (Italy)

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

eric meury <ericmeury@...>

I had the an old red baron installed on a 30 foot cheoy lee ketch (wooden masts)...it lived up there for 8 years before i bought the boat from chris parker.  (weather guy). 

Seemed to work for them and it worked for me while i had the boat.  I really don't see why it would be a problem on a SM, especially since the wind gen are so much lighter now.

--- On Sat, 2/18/12, bsarff@... <bsarff@...> wrote:

Subject: Re: [Amel] Wind generator - photos - plans
Date: Saturday, February 18, 2012, 12:51 PM

Lorenzo, what was wrong with the mizzen location?  I'm considering adding a wind generator and was thinking of installing it on the mizzen, either on top or mid-way off a bracket. 

Does anyone else have comments on the installation of a wind generator on a Maramu.

Bob

Hi everyone, we want to install an Air breeze on our SM2000. Two years ago we had it mount on mizen mast, but did not convince me much, for the weight and balance.

Now we would install it on pole in the stern portion. Do You have any photos of a wind generator installed?

(I have no idea of the surface of the plate should have and where I can mount it). We're scared about drill our Red Passion :)

Richard03801 <richard03801@...>

Hi we have had ours on the mizzen top for years without issue for years.
Sm 209 for sale in Annapolis
Regards

Richard Piller

Cell 603 767 5330

On Feb 18, 2012, at 15:51, bsarff@... wrote:

Lorenzo, what was wrong with the mizzen location? I'm considering adding a wind generator and was thinking of installing it on the mizzen, either on top or mid-way off a bracket.

Bob

karkauai

I'm thimking of mounting it atop the mizzen too. Seems like halfway up would get in the way of the mizzen ballooner?
Kent
SM 243
KRISTY
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone powered by Alltel

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

We have installed a "Super Wind" wind generator on the mizzen and it is very good. Never hear it or even know it is there and it works well. The Super Wind is an expensive model but it has some special features. It is quiet, it self feathers in gale force wind so you never have to worry about tying it off. It is robustly constructed, intended for remote locations and needing infrequent servicing. We installed it in October 09 and it has been trouble free.
Danny
SM 299 Ocean Pearl
Mangonui
New Zealand 

Sent: Sunday, 19 February 2012 9:51 AM

Bob

bsarff@...

Thanks Danny.  Is your generator off the front of the mizzen part way up of at the top? 

Bob

SV Chara

Maramu hin #173

Sent: Sunday, February 19, 2012 6:40:07 PM

We have installed a "Super Wind" wind generator on the mizzen and it is very good. Never hear it or even know it is there and it works well. The Super Wind is an expensive model but it has some special features. It is quiet, it self feathers in gale force wind so you never have to worry about tying it off. It is robustly constructed, intended for remote locations and needing infrequent servicing. We installed it in October 09 and it has been trouble free.
Danny
SM 299 Ocean Pearl
Mangonui
New Zealand 

Bob

I

John and Anne on Bali Hai

Hello Bob,
I mounted a wind generator above the radar on my last boat and it sucked the mizzen staysail in every time I tried to use it so I moved it up to the top of the mast whihj solved that problem. I did not put any sort of a vibration mount when refitting it and the vibrations were noticeable in the aft cabin. Whether some sort of insulator would have helped I do not know. However that was twenty five years ago and generators might be better balanced nowadays.

Best wishes, Anne and John Bali Hai SM319

Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 3:55 PM

Thanks Danny. Is your generator off the front of the mizzen part way up of at the top?

Bob

SV Chara

Maramu hin #173

We have installed a "Super Wind" wind generator on the mizzen and it is very good. Never hear it or even know it is there and it works well. The Super Wind is an expensive model but it has some special features. It is quiet, it self feathers in gale force wind so you never have to worry about tying it off. It is robustly constructed, intended for remote locations and needing infrequent servicing. We installed it in October 09 and it has been trouble free.
Danny
SM 299 Ocean Pearl
Mangonui
New Zealand

Lorenzo, what was wrong with the mizzen location? I'm considering adding a wind generator and was thinking of installing it on the mizzen, either on top or mid-way off a bracket.

Bob

I

bsarff@...

Thanks John.  It looks like the top of the mizzen is a good location.  I'm looking at the Air Maax which produces 120v AC at the generator and then rectifies it at the batteries to 12v.  This way there is less voltage drop and smaller condutors can be used from the generator to the rectifier. 

Thanks again for your help.

Bob

Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:43:14 AM

Hello Bob,
I mounted a wind generator above the radar on my last boat and it sucked the mizzen staysail in every time I tried to use it so I moved it up to the top of the mast whihj solved that problem. I did not put any sort of a vibration mount when refitting it and the vibrations were noticeable in the aft cabin. Whether some sort of insulator would have helped I do not know. However that was twenty five years ago and generators might be better balanced nowadays.

Best wishes, Anne and John Bali Hai SM319

Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 3:55 PM

Thanks Danny. Is your generator off the front of the mizzen part way up of at the top?

Bob

SV Chara

Maramu hin #173

We have installed a "Super Wind" wind generator on the mizzen and it is very good. Never hear it or even know it is there and it works well. The Super Wind is an expensive model but it has some special features. It is quiet, it self feathers in gale force wind so you never have to worry about tying it off. It is robustly constructed, intended for remote locations and needing infrequent servicing. We installed it in October 09 and it has been trouble free.
Danny
SM 299 Ocean Pearl
Mangonui
New Zealand

Bob

I

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Bob, it is on top of the mast secured by four bolts through a base plate to which the upright tube is welded with strengthening gussetts. The top of the mast is large enough without modification. We put a hard rubber 4 or 5 ml thick sheet between the plate and the mast to avoid vibration and that has proved completely adequate.Quite simply we never hear it at all.  As to the option of front of mast, I would not consider that as the top is so good and front of mast brings a set of issues.
We are very pleased with the set up, combined with two 130 watt solar panels on the port side rail beside the stern cabin we can liveaboard and seldom need the gen set.. Another great advantage is that Ocean Pearl is on a mooring with a fridge left on and the batteries are always fully charged, good for battery life. 
Regards
Danny 

Sent: Thursday, 23 February 2012 3:55 AM

Thanks Danny.  Is your generator off the front of the mizzen part way up of at the top? 

Bob

SV Chara

Maramu hin #173

Danny
SM 299 Ocean Pearl
Mangonui
New Zealand 

Bob

I

Jose Venegas

Danny,

As we prepare Ipanema for a transatlantic passage, I have just ordered the Superwind generator and will be installing on top of the mast as you did. Just a few questions:

How long did you make the tube?

Is your tube Stainless or Aluminum?

Where did you drilled the hole to pass the cables into the mast?

Did you tap threads on the mast head?

What type of connectors did you use for the cables from the solar pannels?

If you had a picture it would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Jose
Ipanema SM 2K 278

--- In amelyachtowners@..., Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

Hi Bob, it is on top of the mast secured by four bolts through a base plate to which the upright tube is welded with strengthening gussetts. The top of the mast is large enough without modification. We put a hard rubber 4 or 5 ml thick sheet between the plate and the mast to avoid vibration and that has proved completely adequate.Quite simply we never hear it at all.  As to the option of front of mast, I would not consider that as the top is so good and front of mast brings a set of issues.
We are very pleased with the set up, combined with two 130 watt solar panels on the port side rail beside the stern cabin we can liveaboard and seldom need the gen set.. Another great advantage is that Ocean Pearl is on a mooring with a fridge left on and the batteries are always fully charged, good for battery life. 
Regards
Danny 

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi jose, I have answered your questions along side your text. sorry I do not have photos. I will be on the boat next week sailing to Tauranga. If you can wait that long I will do some photos and send them when I get there.
Regards
Danny

Danny,

As we prepare Ipanema for a transatlantic passage, I have just ordered the Superwind generator and will be installing on top of the mast as you did. Just a few questions:

How long did you make the tube? Don't have measurement, but long enough for the blades to have good clearance.

Is your tube Stainless or Aluminum? ALUMINUM

Where did you drilled the hole to pass the cables into the mast? THROUGH THE SIDE jUST BELOW THE TOP CAP PLATE.
WHERE THE CABLE PASSED THROUGH WE DOUBLED IT BACK TO CREATE A LOOP OUTSIDE THE MAST AND CABLE TIED THIS TO PREVENT THE WEIGHT OF THE CABLE PULLING ON THE GENERATOR CONNECTIONS
TAKE CARE AT THIS POINT TO AVOID THE CABLE CUTTING ON THE HOLE. YOU NEED TO ROUND THE HOLE TO AVOID SHARP EDGES  

Did you tap threads on the mast head? NO, I USED BOLTS. THE PLATE ON TOP OF THE MAST EXTENDED ENOUGH TO ALLOW ME TO BOLT THROUGH

What type of connectors did you use for the cables from the solar pannels? CRIMP CONNECTORS. APART FROM CONNCTIONS TO THE PANELS, FUSES AND CONTROLLER THERE ARE ONLY TWO CONNECTIONS. MY PANELS ARE CLAMPED TO THE PORT RAIL BESIDE THE STERN CABIN. BECAUSE I WAS NOT SURE IF THIS WAS PERMANENT, I SURFACE MOUNTED THE CABLE. CABLE TIED ALONG THE RAIL TO THE STAUCHION BESIDE THE COCKPIT, DOWN TO THE DECK, ACROSS THE DECK AND UP TO THE CABIN TOP, CABLE TIED TO THE CLEAT THERE, THEN DOWN AND INTO THE AFT OUTER CORNER OF THE COCKPIT LOCKER, (THE CABLES FIT UNDER THE LID.) THE JOINS ARE IN THIS LOCKER.  THEN ACROSS THE BACK OF THE LOCKER, I DRILLED THROUGH INTO THE SMALL LOCKER, ACROSS THAT AND DRILLED THROUGH TO THE AREA BELOW THE MIZZEN. THEN FOLLOWED THE PATH OF THE REST OF THE WIRES FROM THE MIZZEN. WHILE I INTENDED THIS TO BE TEMPORARY UNTIL I WAS SURE OF THE PANEL LOCATION, IT HAS PROVED SO GOOD AND COMPLETELY UNOBTRUSIVE I AM GOING TO LEAVE IT LIKE THIS.
THE PANEL LOCATION IS TOTALLY SATISFACTORY  

If you had a picture it would be appreciated. PICTURES END OF NEXT WEEK

Thanks a lot..

Jose
Ipanema SM 2K 278

--- In amelyachtowners@..., Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

Regards
Danny