Efector Anchor Chain Counter Sensor

george cerillo

under ANCHOR CHAIN COUNTER SENSOR. I contacted a US distributor for Efector parts http://www.ifm.com/ifmus/web/mailstart.htm and was advised they no longer made this part. The replacement part is a bit longer and has a plug in adapter that you wire in with an additional cable that must be purchased. From Efector US cost for part is $130 and cable $18USD. Has anyone tried anything different? Does anyone know how long a ife the replacement part has? Thanks so much,

George and Kim
SM2K #353 Indecent

amelliahona <no_reply@...>

George & Kim:

I replaced my chain counter sensor a couple of years ago after it failed at the 9 year mark. I happened to be in Guadeloupe at the time and Pochon (Amel's electronics service company) in Guadeloupe had the sensor in stock. I don't know if Pochon moved to Martinique when Amel moved there or if they are still in Guadeloupe. Perhaps they still have some stock of the original sensor. Might be worth an internet search and a quick call.

Do you have the part number of the replacement sensor as quoted by Efector? Also the part number of the cable? That would be helpful. In looking at the Efector site they make a huge number of various inductive sensors, perhaps we could look at the specification sheets for the various models and find one that would work and fit WITHIN the current housing without extending beyond the housing. If you are on your boat perhaps you could measure the diameter and overall length of the housing (the black plastic tube on the side of the windlass into which the inductive sensor fits). Thanks for the effort and posting whatever you find out for the rest of us out here.

Gary Silver
Amel SM 2000 # 335

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "sy INDECENT" <gmcerillo@...> wrote:

under ANCHOR CHAIN COUNTER SENSOR. I contacted a US distributor for Efector parts http://www.ifm.com/ifmus/web/mailstart.htm and was advised they no longer made this part. The replacement part is a bit longer and has a plug in adapter that you wire in with an additional cable that must be purchased. From Efector US cost for part is $130 and cable $18USD. Has anyone tried anything different? Does anyone know how long a ife the replacement part has? Thanks so much,

George and Kim
SM2K #353 Indecent

The IFM Efector #IB5076 is no longer available from IFM. I purchased the #IB5124 which is a two-wire replacement for $113USD delivered to Texas on 8/2/10.

PartNumber : IB5124 (which is a 2-wire sensor)
Description : IBE2020-FRKG

IFM Efector Inc. info"at"ifmefector.com www.ifmefector.com
782 Springdale Drive
Exton, PA 19341
800-441-8246
Fax: 800-329-0436

The original sensor has 3 wires - brown, black and blue. To install the 2 wire sensor:
1. Terminate the brown - will not need it.
2. Connect the blue (neg) wire to terminal labeled 2/4
3. Connect the black (pos) wire to the terminal marked 1/3.
4. Secure all with a couple of spots of silicone

Note: the clearance between the magnetic "button" on the rope sheve and the prox switch.. you can adjust the distance by pushing the prox switch out of the case.. it should be about 10 to 12 mm
clearance

Gary Silver sent me the following, which I found very helpful: "The sensor is held in the housing with some RTV (silicone sealant). If you use two metal picks working alternately thru the two holes on the side of the housing to dig into the sensor and then pry slightly, you can to "walk" the sensor forward a mm at a time until you can grasp it at the front. To place the new one, put a small (very small) ring of RTV around the lip of the sensor and insert it into the housing making certain of two things: 1 the LED on the side of the sensor lines up with the sight hole so you can view the operating status of the sensor & 2 the face of the sensor clears the magnetic stub on the windlass hub."

The sensor has worked perfectly since installation.

Hope this helps.

Bill
BeBe, SM2k, #387

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "sy INDECENT" <gmcerillo@...> wrote:

under ANCHOR CHAIN COUNTER SENSOR. I contacted a US distributor for Efector parts http://www.ifm.com/ifmus/web/mailstart.htm and was advised they no longer made this part. The replacement part is a bit longer and has a plug in adapter that you wire in with an additional cable that must be purchased. From Efector US cost for part is $130 and cable $18USD. Has anyone tried anything different? Does anyone know how long a ife the replacement part has? Thanks so much,

George and Kim
SM2K #353 Indecent

Andrew & Kate Lamb

My anchor chain counter seems to have stopped working this weekend, but the display is simply showing nothing at all so I am wondering if it is a problem in the main unit rather than the sensor. I haven't yet gone behind to check power etc, but I thought I would ask a question to those who have had a sensor failure - what happened did the display show a number which would not change or does the whole unit go off?

thanks

Andrew

Ronpische