From: Kent
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2012 4:11 PM
Subject: [Amel] C Drive Broken

Hi, all,
I have what I think is a big problem and need some advice. While sailing from Puerto Rico to Turks & Caicos, I was motoring in light air at 2100 rpm when there was a loud "clunk" then loud clanking/grinding noise. The helmsman immediately put the drive in neutral and all those aweful noises stopped. It was 4 AM so we couldn't see if there was anything in the water we might have hit. I looked below and found nothing wrong that I could see, and tried putting it back in gear. The transmission appeard to engage and the drive shaft coming out of the transmission started turning, no noise, but it appeared that we had no prop. The transmission outdrive stopped turning in neutral and turned backward in reverse. There is no water in the sail drive reservoir and there has been no loss of oil. We sailed back to PR where George and Kim Cerillo met us. George dove on the prop and found it intact. It turned freely even though the transmission was in gear.

Soooooo. It appears that I have broken something in the prop drive unit (or C drive, or Sail Drive, or what ever it's called) I don't have any drawings of the unit that show me what the parts are or if there is anything that might be designed to give way to protect the unit if something was hit. Has anyone had to deal with anything like this? Does anyone have drawnings of the C drive unit? Any suggestions? I think I'll pull the top off the unit and look to see what I can see today, maybe I'll get lucky and it will be something easy...but I doubt it.

I am in Ponce Yacht/Fishing Club in PR where they have a travel lift that can pull me out if necessary.

Thanks for any help/advice you can give me.
Kent
S/V KRISTY
SM 243

amelliahona <no_reply@...>

Hi Kent:

Sorry to hear that you are having an issue. If you drain the oil from the drive housing by removing the oil drain plug below the prop, and strain the oil thru a paint filter or something like that, you will be able to see if there are any metal particles in the oil (suggesting something is chewed up). Also, if you can gain access to a horoscope (either rigid or fiberoptic you can peer in thru the oil drain hole and inspect the gears in the lower housing.

I was somewhat concerned about my gears after having beaten on the prop rather extensively during it's first removal years ago. Joe, at that time, reassured me that no amount of beating would have damaged my gears. Doesn't mean something couldn't have broken. This is a rather straight forward design and seems to be very robust.
Let us know how this turns out.

Gary

[...]

Hi Gianni:

That is a great picture of the C drive. Might I suggest you post it again in the folder:

Amel SM Transmission C-Drive in the second page of folders. This will allow it to be more easily accesses under a meaningful file name in the future. Thanks again for the post.

Gary Silver
sv Liahona
Amel SM 2000 Hull # 335

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "Giovanni Testa" <gtesta23@...> wrote:

HI Kent,
I have put a new photo " AMEL_C DRIVE " in "AMEL GENERAL" folder.
I took this photo when I was to visit AMEL in La Rochelle.( 2003)
I hope that it may..."not"... help you.
Buon Vento
Gianni
sv EUTIKIA SM 428

Richard03801 <richard03801@...>

Kent when you dove on the prop with the boat in gear did the prop turn the gear box up top? Can you tell if the prop shaft is turning. Ie has the key way failed. Can you get the prop with a puller to inspect the shaft/prop. has the coupling between the engine and "C" drive failed? Or come lose?
To have the C unit fail is very hard to understand given the robust design. Please keep us posted. You can call anytime to talk about it.
Regards

Richard Piller
SM209 for sale in Annapolis
Cell 603 767 5330

On Mar 30, 2012, at 9:11, amelliahona <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi Gianni:

That is a great picture of the C drive. Might I suggest you post it again in the folder:

Amel SM Transmission C-Drive in the second page of folders. This will allow it to be more easily accesses under a meaningful file name in the future. Thanks again for the post.

Gary Silver
sv Liahona
Amel SM 2000 Hull # 335

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "Giovanni Testa" <gtesta23@...> wrote:

HI Kent,
I have put a new photo " AMEL_C DRIVE " in "AMEL GENERAL" folder.
I took this photo when I was to visit AMEL in La Rochelle.( 2003)
I hope that it may..."not"... help you.
Buon Vento
Gianni
sv EUTIKIA SM 428

TODAY(Beta) • Powered by Yahoo!
Amazing floating movie theater in lagoon
Archipelago Cinema is tucked inside a bay surrounded by towering rocks and lush jungle.
Privacy Policy

Richard03801 <richard03801@...>

Kent one more thought if it is the coupling or the upper shaft bearings of the C drive check your engine to C drive shaft alignment. As we recall you did an engine replacement not long ago
Sm209 in Annapolis for sale
Regards

Richard Piller

Cell 603 767 5330

On Mar 30, 2012, at 9:27, Richard03801 <richard03801@yahoo.com> wrote:

[...]

karkauai

Thank you all for your quick responses and thoughts.  Danny Ramos of Marine Mechanical in Fajardo, PR (The guy who put my new Yanmar in) was here today and found the input shaft to the prop drive was broken where it steps down from close to 2" to ~1 1/4".  The metal showed considerable fatigue that appears to have been going on for quite a while.  There has been no evidence of vibration in the drive since I bought the boat.  I haven't been running the new engine much with all the wind we've had down here this year, only 120hrs at break-in speeds.  Not sure what the problem was/is that caused the failure, but will double/triple check alignment when it's all put back together.

Biggest problem now is getting parts.  Does anyone have a schematic of the drive?  Does anyone know who manufactures the drive?  I don't have any info on the drive in my paperwork except the schematic of the lower drive that shows how the seals are placed.  I've put in a call and email to Amel FR and Amel Caribes but no response yet.

I'll post more on the cost of parts and labor when I know more.

Thanks again for all your help and best wishes.
Kent
SM 243
KRISTY

Anne and John Hollamby <annejohnholl@...>

Is there not a local machine shop to make a new one? Anne and John SM 319

[...]

We are looking into cost of Amel part w shipping.  It IS and Amel designed drive so no one else to go to except having new one made by machine shop.  Not sure yet if gear/shaft are one welded part or if the gear is bolted on or otherwise attached.  If not a single unit, should be easy to have new shaft made and use old gear which looks to be in great shape.
Kent

[...]

Giovanni TESTA

Hi to all,
I have moved the picture " C_DRIVE by AMEL " from first page, folder "General", to second page, folder " Amel SM Transmission/C-Drive "
Buon Vento
Gianni Testa
sv EUTIKIA SM2K 428
Raiatea

That is a great picture of the C drive. Might I suggest you post it again in the folder:

Amel SM Transmission C-Drive in the second page of folders. This will allow it to be more easily accesses under a meaningful file name in the future. Thanks again for the post.

Gary Silver
sv Liahona
Amel SM 2000 Hull # 335

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "Giovanni Testa" <gtesta23@...> wrote:

> HI Kent,
> I have put a new photo " AMEL_C DRIVE " in "AMEL GENERAL" folder.
> I took this photo when I was to visit AMEL in La Rochelle.( 2003)
> I hope that it may..."not"... help you.
> Buon Vento
> Gianni
> sv EUTIKIA SM 428

luvkante

Hi Kent,

I am not sure, whether this is really of use for you, but I have taken two photographs ot the C drive drawing, when I had a plant trip at La Rochelle. Unfortunately the quality of the photo is really bad.
If you are interested, pls send me your EMail adress.

Regards,

Martin
Amel 54 # 149
CHIARA

Von meinem iPad gesendet

Giovanni TESTA

Hi Martin,
may you post please pictures in "Amel SM Transmission/C-Drive " folder , second page "Photos" ?
all the best
Gianni Testa
sv EUTIKIA SM2K 428

I am not sure, whether this is really of use for you, but I have taken two photographs ot the C drive drawing, when I had a plant trip at La Rochelle. Unfortunately the quality of the photo is really bad.
If you are interested, pls send me your EMail adress.

Regards,

Martin
Amel 54 # 149
CHIARA

Von meinem iPad gesendet

luvkante

yip, did it!!!

Sorry for the bad quality, never knew this pic might become important for someone.

Martin

________________________________

I am not sure, whether this is really of use for you, but I have taken two photographs ot the C drive drawing, when I had a plant trip at La Rochelle. Unfortunately the quality of the photo is really bad.
If you are interested, pls send me your EMail adress.

Regards,

Martin
Amel 54 # 149
CHIARA

Von meinem iPad gesendet

karkauai

Maud at Amel sent me a schematic of the Amel drive (which is an Amel design).  It's better than anything else I have but still not detailed enough to order parts from.  I will send it to Giovanni as I'm not sure how to post it.
Kent
SM243
KRISTY

________________________________

That is a great picture of the C drive. Might I suggest you post it again in the folder:

Amel SM Transmission C-Drive in the second page of folders. This will allow it to be more easily accesses under a meaningful file name in the future. Thanks again for the post.

Gary Silver
sv Liahona
Amel SM 2000 Hull # 335

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "Giovanni Testa" <gtesta23@...> wrote:

HI Kent,
I have put a new photo " AMEL_C DRIVE " in "AMEL GENERAL" folder.
I took this photo when I was to visit AMEL in La Rochelle.( 2003)
I hope that it may..."not"... help you.
Buon Vento
Gianni
sv EUTIKIA SM 428

karkauai

Thanks, Martin,
Check out what Maud sent me (it's on it's way to Giovanni for posting) and see if it's the same drawing.  If not, please send me what you have to karkauai at yahoo dot com.

It looks like I won't need anything else from the group on this.  I'll keep you informed as to the repair cost and process as it procedes.
Kent
SM 243
KRISTY