[Amel] Re: Water Under Salon Floor

Sailormon <kimberlite@...>

Steve,

I have never had much water in my main cabin bilge. It usually comes from a
leak at the sink, or a/c condenser line. Most frequently, it comes from my
not paying attention and overfilling the water tank. I really would not
worry about it.

Once we were hit sideways by a rogue wave and it laid the boat down on its
port side. Unfortunately, we have the fresh air vent open and the water
entered the main cabin coming out of the vent under the stairs like a fire
hydrant. Since the cockpit was full of water we had hundreds of gallons
below.

It only took up a few hours to dry out the bilges manually.

Additionally, I think it is better to have a little leak into the bilge and
repair the leak. If you drained the cabin bilge into the engine room, you
would never know if you had a leak

Finally, in a catastrophic situation, the regular bilge pump in the engine
room will not handle as much water as would be coming into the boat.

That is why the ORC rules state that you need an additional large capacity
pump down below. In the Amel we don’t.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite

_____

From: amelyachtowners@...
From: amelyachtowners@...

wrote:

[...]

The problem with high capacity pumps is that they use big hoses and when
they stop a lot of water returns to the bilge.

What I did in my last boat was to mount a very small rule automatic pump in
the bilge that went on when the main pump stopped. In the smaller pump, I
put a check valve. If you really wanted to prevent water in the bilge, I
would hook in a very small automatic rule pump and drill a hole through the
engine room bulkhead and make sure you seal the hose and add a check valve.

You should never put a check valve in a crash pump, because if it jams you
are in big trouble.

From: amelyachtowners@...

wrote:

[...]

Eric,

Yes, I agree completely. I would not want to permanently install any large cap pump in the main salon. I have one, but it isn't rigged and at the ready like you have. I'll make sure I do that. Your method allows for it to be moved to where it's needed in a hurry.

I really don't even want to install a small pump there either, since the float-switch, plumbing and wiring would probably be more trouble than they're worth. I'm hesitant to drill even a small hole in the bulkhead. That would really be messing with the watertight integrity, even if properly sealed. I'd rather tap into a hose that already goes through the bulkhead by design. That way, only an amount of water that doesn't exceed the capacity of the engine room pump can go through it, and the pipes to which the hose attaches is permanently glassed into the bulkhead.

From: amelyachtowners@...