[Amel] SSB grounding on Santorin

Attilio Siviero YAHOO <attilio.siviero@...>

Hi Craig,

nice to know that you an Kath are in Leros, eventually.

I remember that you have the HF Radio, and I understood that maybe the Santorin does not need any steel/copper plate outside the hull for grounding. Is it true?
We are going to install an SSB (Mauro, as usual) and we would like to know your secret #21 :-), i.e. SSB grounding on Santorin.
Thanks
Cheers

Attilio & Maria Siviero
Amel Santorin#84 "Sisila"

Craig Briggs

Hey Attilio,

Actually, it's just SANGARIS who's in Leros - Katherine and I are still in sunny Florida but head back June 4.

Our SSB was (I believe) installed by AMEL when the boat was new and there is a standard sintered bronze Dynaplate external grounding plate (about 6 X 2 in) mounted on the hull exterior in the starboard aft area below the aft locker, where the antenna tuner is mounted. Here's a link to the product: http://www.marinco.com/product/standard-dynaplate

BUT, Santorin Secret #21 is you don't need a grounding plate! Instead you can use an internal counterpoise and not drill trough the hull! The product is KISS-SSB and you can Google it at KISS-SSB.com I haven't used it but would certainly do so for a new installation like yours. The web site says it's only $140(US) plus $30 for international shipping.

One of our radio techie guys on the SSCA board swears by it and you can check out the discussion at forum-ssca.org, if you like (you will have to register to search the site - it's free). The KISS-SSB installation instructions don't call for a ground, but my techie guy says to use the KISS-SSB counterpoise AND a ground - on our AMELS we've got super grounding to the rudder, so I'd just ground your radio to the main ship's ground - no need for a Dynaplate.

Hi to Mauro and hugs to Maria!

Craig and Katherine
SN #68 SANGARIS, decommissioned on the hard in Leros.