[Amel] Replacement of the Bow Thruster Nylon Hub and Propeller

Ann-Sofie Svanberg <kanalmamman@...>

If you have the special tool, use it. We have lost our bow prop twice. Once when entering the Kiel Canal which forced us ro use
The tool at anchor. No problems at all.

/ Annsofie & Jonas
S/Y Lady Annila. SM232
present at Korcula, Croatia

Skickat från min iPhone

7 jun 2012 kl. 06:38 skrev "Judy and Bill aboard SV BeBe" <yahoogroups@...>:

Yesterday I did something stupid and lost the bow thruster propeller, or at least I think that's what happened when a line got entangled with the propeller.

My question is to someone who has had to replace a propeller while in the water:

Would you dive and do it assuming you have the dive equipment, or would you use the special tool, assuming this will be your first time with the special tool?

Bill
BeBe, SM2k, #387
Currently Fethiye, Turkey

Job completed.

Using the Amel "special in-the-water tool," we dropped the lower unit of the bow thruster and attached a new propeller, nylon hub, and nylon screws. We then successfully re-inserted the lower unit into the bottom of the bow using the tool.

The job was straight forward and thanks to Eric and Gary for their documentation which can be found in the Files section of this site.

The only thing that I can add is that I would always do this with one person in a dinghy or in the water. The water was so murky here that I really could not see the thruster lower unit from the bow. Using the dinghy worked great and I placed the lower unit across the tubes of the dingy to change the hub and mount a new prop...the tubes of the dinghy acted as a work bench. Also, from the dinghy, I was able to guide the lower unit into alignment as it was re-inserted.

Bill
BeBe, SM2k, #387
Currently Fethiye Turkey