Regards

Richard Piller

Cell 603 767 5330

On Jun 30, 2012, at 9:21, Tony Robinson <tonywrobinson51@yahoo.com> wrote:

I am just about to take delivery of an Amel 54 (2008 model). I have been told that there was a defect in the original mast/rig, and Amel re-called all 54's back for modifications. Can anyone enlighten me what the problem (s) were, and the solution ? I was also told there was a court case over the issue.

Thanks, Tony Robinson.

________________________________
From: Louise and Bengt MÃ¥rtensson <tintoamel@yahoo.se>
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, June 29, 2012 9:52 PM
Subject: [Amel] Re: Prospective Amel 54 owner slipway for rib

Hi, we have not checked this web page for a long time.
Did you find any solution for get the rib up and down? We have a slip which we put up in the back and the dinghy slides down and up again with the electrical winch on the mizzen mast. We use it today on our 54 and used it for 8 years on our circumnavigation with SM 53. It works fine.
Best regards Bengt

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "tonywrobinson51" <tonywrobinson51@...> wrote:

Hello everyone - I'm a new member to the group. I joined because I am very seriously considering buying a 3/4 year old 54. I would welcome any comments/things to watch out for - indeed anything you feel would be worth knowing. Planned sailing area is the Med.

Also, I have seen an ingenious RIB launching system on a french owned 54. The tender was mounted right way up under the mizzen boom - and launched a bit like a lifeboat off the back of the boat. The owner swore by the system but I have lost contact with him. The advantage, of course, was that you didn't need davits, although you did have to take the O/B on and off each time. If anyone has heard of or seen this I would also be grateful to hear.

Regards, Tony Robinson

Tony Robinson <tonywrobinson51@...>

Many thanks - any more details ? My boat is hull no. 102 so I assume they had fixed the initial design fault by then?

Regards, Tony Robinson

________________________________

[...]

Roque

I had this "boot", as Richard called it, retrofitted by Amel, at no cost.
Maybe this one you are buying already has it. It is easy to tell, because
it is a +- 10 feet long reinforcement.
Even if the job itself is arranged to be made after you take delivery, may
I suggest that you make it clear that the current owner is responsible for
this job. Mainly because he probably bought this boat directly from a Amel.

I must add that Amel did a great job on my boat, was very professional and
responsive. I have no complains at all.

Roque
Atica
Amel 54, #110, 2008

**

<tonywrobinson51@...> wrote:

Hello everyone - I'm a new member to the group. I joined because I am
very seriously considering buying a 3/4 year old 54. I would welcome any
comments/things to watch out for - indeed anything you feel would be worth
knowing. Planned sailing area is the Med.

Also, I have seen an ingenious RIB launching system on a french owned
54. The tender was mounted right way up under the mizzen boom - and
launched a bit like a lifeboat off the back of the boat. The owner swore by
the system but I have lost contact with him. The advantage, of course, was
that you didn't need davits, although you did have to take the O/B on and
off each time. If anyone has heard of or seen this I would also be grateful
to hear.

Regards, Tony Robinson

Tony Robinson <tonywrobinson51@...>

Many thanks for this - I'm pretty sure my new boat has indeed been retrofitted with this, but I will double check with the surveyor.
Regards, Tony robinson

________________________________

<tonywrobinson51@...> wrote:

Hello everyone - I'm a new member to the group. I joined because I am
very seriously considering buying a 3/4 year old 54. I would welcome any
comments/things to watch out for - indeed anything you feel would be worth
knowing. Planned sailing area is the Med.

Also, I have seen an ingenious RIB launching system on a french owned
54. The tender was mounted right way up under the mizzen boom - and
launched a bit like a lifeboat off the back of the boat. The owner swore by
the system but I have lost contact with him. The advantage, of course, was
that you didn't need davits, although you did have to take the O/B on and
off each time. If anyone has heard of or seen this I would also be grateful
to hear.

Regards, Tony Robinson

Ann-Sofie Svanberg <kanalmamman@...>

It is very easy to see the enforcement. It is glued om the front side of the mast from the deck up to the first spreaders.
/Ann Sofie on Lady Annila SM 232

Skickat från min iPhone

<tonywrobinson51@...> wrote:

Hello everyone - I'm a new member to the group. I joined because I am
very seriously considering buying a 3/4 year old 54. I would welcome any
comments/things to watch out for - indeed anything you feel would be worth
knowing. Planned sailing area is the Med.

Also, I have seen an ingenious RIB launching system on a french owned
54. The tender was mounted right way up under the mizzen boom - and
launched a bit like a lifeboat off the back of the boat. The owner swore by
the system but I have lost contact with him. The advantage, of course, was
that you didn't need davits, although you did have to take the O/B on and
off each time. If anyone has heard of or seen this I would also be grateful
to hear.

Regards, Tony Robinson

Lior <lior246@...>

there are good pictures that show how it was done in
the pictures section of this forum.

regards
lior

ב-30 ביונ 2012, בשעה 17:56, Ann-Sofie Svanberg <kanalmamman@hotmail.com> כתב/ה:

<tonywrobinson51@...> wrote:

Hello everyone - I'm a new member to the group. I joined because I am
very seriously considering buying a 3/4 year old 54. I would welcome any
comments/things to watch out for - indeed anything you feel would be worth
knowing. Planned sailing area is the Med.

Also, I have seen an ingenious RIB launching system on a french owned
54. The tender was mounted right way up under the mizzen boom - and
launched a bit like a lifeboat off the back of the boat. The owner swore by
the system but I have lost contact with him. The advantage, of course, was
that you didn't need davits, although you did have to take the O/B on and
off each time. If anyone has heard of or seen this I would also be grateful
to hear.

Regards, Tony Robinson

Tony Robinson <tonywrobinson51@...>

Thanks for the pointer Lior - I've found the pics and now I know what I'm looking for ! Thanks again,

Tony Robinson

________________________________

<tonywrobinson51@...> wrote:

Hello everyone - I'm a new member to the group. I joined because I am
very seriously considering buying a 3/4 year old 54. I would welcome any
comments/things to watch out for - indeed anything you feel would be worth
knowing. Planned sailing area is the Med.

Also, I have seen an ingenious RIB launching system on a french owned
54. The tender was mounted right way up under the mizzen boom - and
launched a bit like a lifeboat off the back of the boat. The owner swore by
the system but I have lost contact with him. The advantage, of course, was
that you didn't need davits, although you did have to take the O/B on and
off each time. If anyone has heard of or seen this I would also be grateful
to hear.

Regards, Tony Robinson

Craig Scott

Tony,
Your hull needs to have the modification added to the mast. Mine is hull no 101 and Amel sent technicians to Turkey to fix it.
Craig Scott
Lone Star a54 #101
Granada

On Jun 30, 2012, at 10:18 AM, Tony Robinson <tonywrobinson51@yahoo.com> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Craig - I remember seeing Lone Star in Marmaris Yat Marin, along with 4 other Amel 54's (I was there for three years in my OVNI). Glad you had a good trip back to the other side of pond. I have agreed a deal re my new boat, but for various reasons the survey will not be done until early August. In the meantime I will check with the broker that the modification has been done.

Best, Tony Robinson.