[Amel] Re: there are 2 diferent types of foam seals used on the bow thruster

Ian Shepherd

Bill,

thanks for the info but I am afraid the link does not work. I will be
back at KGM Saturday as currentlt in the UK picking up a spare SSB as
the installed one has developed a fault.

Regards

Ian SM414 Crusader

On 18/07/2012 06:12, Judy and Bill aboard SV BeBe wrote:

Eric,

Yes, there are two different types of foam seals used on the bow
thruster. When I discovered this a few years ago, I re-wrote the BOW
THRUSTER SERVICE by Gary Silver.pdf which was originally written by
you and Gary and posted it in the files section of the Amel website.
Someone moved it to the Miscellaneous folder and it is currently at:
http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/0EIGUF_yTm7js-FLlJZaHXGZjQcD6ENlTzMPgrXshX91t1Eq0y0AAGOQ4l9po9oqNdqqFxfhhLXj34gyPhZqXfV0K40/Miscellaneous/BOW%20THRUSTER%20SERVICE%20by%20Gary%20Silver.pdf

Amel told me that if you get the seals mixed up, you will get some
water in through the bow thruster. I believe that you can also get
some water by getting the torque on the lifting cable too tight or too
lose. I know that some owners do not use the safety pin, but rather
change the lifting cable adjustment to place more pressure on the
seals when the Bow Thruster is UP. This adjustment changes the seal
when the Bow Thruster is DOWN. And in my opinion, when it is down and
in use you will get water inside if you have the wrong seal, or if you
have incorrectly adjusted the lifting cable.

This is 80% opinion and 20% experience, so please take it as that.

Hope this helps.

Bill
BeBe, SM2k, #387

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
<mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com>, Sailormon <kimberlite@...>
wrote:

there are 2 diferent types of foam seals used on the bow thruster.

Dear Eric,

To help you with the foam seals, I have attached a drawing of the
bowthruster showing where they are located. Indeed the neoprene
seals are
located outside the hull and the natural seal sits inside the boat.
Please
tell me how many of each I should put in the shipment.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Maud/Chantiers AMEL Customer service

sav@...