Questions

ogedm688 <jgermain@...>

Greets SV BeBe, (Bill)

Having spent some time on this forum, I am already aware of your status as a "tech guru"… :-). I am sure you have been thanked for your efforts but I wish to add to the gang. Reading your clear and concise explanations has given me a better understanding of what I am getting into.

I asked about the C drive because the boat I am contemplating has had a major mod done to it: the first owner, obsessed by a C drive failure (far more free with his dosh than I) had the C drive removed, turned the engine around then installed a ZF gearbox with a shaft drive. I've asked for a complete description and list of each component used. I don't get it….

However, the boat is absolutely pristine. Even more so than my present Pegasus which is … by my standards… as new. So the vessel is worth considering though a bit more expensive than the rank and file SM.

Thank you for your comments… trying to choose between an Oyster and an Amel is difficult. The Oyster is prettier (opinion of course) but the Amel is more "user friendly"

Jean-Pierre

svbebe <yahoogroups@...>

Jean-Pierre,

Merci beaucoup!

However, I do not consider myself anymore qualified than many other Amel owners who contribute to this Group.

I would like to make 3 points:

Point 1:
A modification removing the C Drive is something that should never, ever be done. Never! I recommend that you walk away from this boat. No person with credible knowledge of Amels would ever buy that boat from you and at some point you are going to be the seller rather than the buyer.

Point 2:
A 64' Oyster-owner friend of mine calls Amels the Anti-Oyster, meaning if Oyster did it, Amel probably did something else, or vice versa. He was one of my friends who was constantly repairing something and having parts flown in from Oyster. I remember when he lost all 3 refrigeration units for 1 month because all 3 shared a common part and the common part failed. Our SM has 3 individual refrigerator/freezers and 2 of them can be either a refrigerator or a freezer. He also lost all of his furling because the single hydraulic pump failed. Amel uses electric 24vdc truck starter motors for furling and outhaul and each sail is independent of the other...if they fail (mine never have) the motor can be rebuilt anywhere in the world. My friend claims that he has ordered a new Amel, but I have my doubts because he is too much of a snob. Oyster builds a beautiful boat that is full of great looking things. Oyster also builds a good boat that apparently retains its value. Oyster could never know its boats and systems as well as Amel knew the Super Maramu series. Oyster simply never built even 1/4 the number of identical copies as Amel did.

Point 3:
The vast majority of the Amel owners I have met around the world seem to have the mind-set to maintain their boats in as new of a condition as possible, replacing worn-out parts with exact replacements. It is almost cult-like...in a good way! This "cult" of owners, of which I am a part, are dedicated to keeping their boats ready for inspection by The Captain, Henri Amel, if he were to visit them today. I believe that possibly 80% of Amel owners feel this way. If you are interested in a resale Amel, find one of these owners. As I said earlier, Joel Potter can help you find one. He just found a SM for a friend of mine. My friend renamed the boat "Cream-Puff." An American uses the term "cream puff" to describe something not new, but in new or perfect condition.

I hope I have not been too forward with my suggestions and comments, but they represent what I truly believe.

If any of you see "Cream Puff" (SM #275) out there, stop by and say hello to Mark and Cindy. They are somewhere between Florida and the Caribbean.

Bill
BeBe, SM2k, #387
Currently Fethiye, Turkey

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "ogedm688" <jgermain@...> wrote:

[...]

Alain Feuillet <alainfeuillet@...>

Jean-Pierre,
There are enough non modified , well maintained 1990 SM to avoid this
curious one. In fact you will have a lot of difficulties in some years to
re-sell her due to the propulsion modification. For example, recently there
was an excellent one in La Rochelle, first hand, maintained by Amel and at a
low price.
When you will be ready, we may meet on the Med. We are currently moored near
Ajaccio and we will be heading toward Greece next week.
Fair deal and then fair winds for you.
Alain

PILGRIM (SM #26)

Roque

Jean-Pierre

I agree with all prior comments, but I'd like to add that when an Amel
owner decides on such a huge modification, he/she probably changed a lot of
other things aboard, trying to "improve" the design.

In fact, 99.9% of these changes turn out to be just future headaches. And
sadly you will discover them when it is too late (and too cold, and too
windy.....)

Roque

Atica Amel 54

ogedm688 <jgermain@...>

I thank everyone for their kind, well thought out reasoning.

I will give this boat a pass at least for now.

Jean-Pierre