Topics

Internet Range Extender (Booster Antenna)

sbmesasailor

We have concluded our second year of cruising and have found that an Internet range extender (booster antenna) is quite helpful in many anchorages and marinas.  Does anyone have a product that they are very pleased with?  We have experience with two different products but are looking for something that is stronger and more consistent -off the shelf, we'd prefer to not have to build one ourselves unless you have simple, detailed diagrams.

Dennis & Virginia Johns
s/v Libertad
Bundaberg, Australia

jjjk12s <jjjk12s@...>

Dennis and Virginia,
I may have this wrong but I presume you mean a mobile phone booster rather than satellite. Last year we fitted a mobile phone external aerial on the pushpit which helps with coverage on the outer reef although not fantastic. We use it with a telstra smart phone with an external aerial socket which is better than a passive external aerial like you can get for a vehicle. I think the same patch lead would plug into a computer. This setup was recomended by a knowledgable retailer when I tried to buy a booster. It is my understanding that mobile phone boosters are illegal in Austalia. The logic/reasoning is they can interfere/block others if used too close to good coverage including potentially interfering with emergency services. Boosters may be on some yachts and fishing boats in Australia but can no longer be bought here although I believe they are available in New Zealand including on the internet. Maybe you can find out more about Australian regulations on google?

Hope this helps
John

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Johns <sbmesasailor@...> wrote:

We have concluded our second year of cruising and have found that an Internet range extender (booster antenna) is quite helpful in many anchorages and marinas.  Does anyone have a product that they are very pleased with?  We have experience with two different products but are looking for something that is stronger and more consistent -off the shelf, we'd prefer to not have to build one ourselves unless you have simple, detailed diagrams.

Dennis & Virginia Johns
s/v Libertad
Bundaberg, Australia

gallivantbob <bobh@...>

I installed a Wave Wifi booster earlier this year in my 54. It was easy to install, set and use. It actually works as advertised. Check them out at:
http://www.wavewifi.com/

Bob & Mary Lu on Gallivant, currently in Puerto Rico

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Johns <sbmesasailor@...> wrote:

We have concluded our second year of cruising and have found that an Internet range extender (booster antenna) is quite helpful in many anchorages and marinas.  Does anyone have a product that they are very pleased with?  We have experience with two different products but are looking for something that is stronger and more consistent -off the shelf, we'd prefer to not have to build one ourselves unless you have simple, detailed diagrams.

Dennis & Virginia Johns
s/v Libertad
Bundaberg, Australia

Dave_Benjamin

I have a friend who is an expert in this field. His advice is to stick with directional antennas. We have a home-made one on our boat and it will pick up wi-fi miles away.

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Johns <sbmesasailor@...> wrote:

We have concluded our second year of cruising and have found that an Internet range extender (booster antenna) is quite helpful in many anchorages and marinas.  Does anyone have a product that they are very pleased with?  We have experience with two different products but are looking for something that is stronger and more consistent -off the shelf, we'd prefer to not have to build one ourselves unless you have simple, detailed diagrams.

Dennis & Virginia Johns
s/v Libertad
Bundaberg, Australia

jjjk12s <jjjk12s@...>

I noted you were in Bundaberg so was thinking of the Queensland coast and more remote anchorages so wasn't thinking wifi. I am in Far North Queensland, not many hotspots. I'm no computer person but have tried to solve the issue to get internet weather forecasts on the outer reef and up to Lizard Island. I hear of other boats using a mobile phone booster and it seems the perfect answer for internet access when along the Queensland coast, but now there is a potential $220,000 fine for possessing one of these boosters.

John

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "jjjk12s" <jjjk12s@...> wrote:

[...]

SAMET GOLGECI

Hi All,

I read an article today at Plymouth Yacht Haven e-newsletter.

They recommend Spectrum brand to their guests and marina berth holders.

Maybe it gives you an idea?

*WiFi Signal Booster for Boat Owners:*

Due to the nature of marina layouts and variety of possible signal
interference in marine location, it is not possible to ensure 100% WiFi
coverage for all boat owners (& residents of local flats). These boosters
work with the Spectrum network AND any others you happen to sail to.

Spectrum has selected two WiFi signal boosters to offer customers. These
small units can be easily mounted on a boat or balcony, connects via USB,
and dramatically increases signal range. So wherever you are you have the
advantage of a better WiFi signal strength and better coverage range.

Repeatit Booster (up to 1km)
£109.95<http://www.spectrumtoolbox.co.uk/marinas/booster/booster_repeatit.php>

Rocket Signal Booster (up to 500m)
£24.50<http://www.spectrumtoolbox.co.uk/marinas/booster/booster_rocket.php>

http://www.spectrumtoolbox.co.uk/marinas/booster/

--
Saygilarimizla / Best Regards / Mit Freundliche Grusse;

Samet Golgeci
Managing Owner
Finike Yachting Agency

Tel & Fax : +90 242 855 57 57
Gsm 1: +90 533 772 55 85
Gsm 2: +90 542 657 43 03
Web : www.finikeyachting.com
E-mail : info@finikeyachting.com

Rink De Haan

I have tried several techniques in the past. This autumn I bought a
product called "6-mile Wifi Unit". This worked perfect on my Windows 7
laptop computer. You can check out product details at this link:
"http://www.shiptron.nl/docs/WiFi/6-MileWiFi.pdf".
It is made by a small Dutch company consist of electronics wizzards
and only deliver to the marine industry. Product doesn't look slick
but it works super and what I found a relieve, it installed and worked
instantly.
I am based in Kusadasi Marina. Sometimes i pick up usable wifi signals
from the cruise ships docked at the Kusadasi cruise terminal.

Rink de Haan
SM2K #330 Razor's Edge
Kusadasi, Turkey

There is a product offered by an ex-cruiser and ex-IT guy that now has a computer business that specializes in marine computers and marine WiFi solutions. I have helped several people install his systems. When you receive the components you also receive instructions written by him in plain language. Before he ships one of his WiFi packages he connects all of the components and programs the router for you so that you literally plug and play.

He has been providing a complete system with a router that will share the WiFi connection that you receive from shore within your boat by WiFi. I recently suggested to him that he change this router to one that will also take a USB 3G dongle and share that withing the boat. This will give you a choice of connecting to 3G or Shore WiFi, then share that internet connection with iPhones, laptops and anything else that connects via WiFi.

His name is Bob Stewart <rstewart@islandtimepc.com>. If you contact him ask him about the 3G router package that Bill Rouse discussed with him. His normal package is at this link: http://islandtimepc.com/marine_wifi.html

My recommendation is that if you are going to spend money on a DC voltage computer or WiFi, spend it only with Bob Stewart.

Hope this helps,

Bill
BeBe, SM2k, #387
Fethiye, Turkey