Maramu stowage plan(s)


Andy Croney
 

Hi Maramu owners,

Happy New Year to all !!

We are currently in the process of planning to move aboard. However the downside with so much stowage space are the multitude of possibilities.

We would appreciate any feed back from Maramu owners on their thoughts about what is best to stow where and your experiences and advice in general.

Thanks in advance for your support.

Fair winds

Andy


sbmesasailor
 

Hi Andy,
 
More important than where you stow things is recording where you stowed them.  We created an Excel spreadsheet with what we thought was sufficient detail but later found that you can't have too much detail (i.e. now where was it I put that can of contact cement?).
 
Let common sense be your guide.  Place maintenance parts and materials (belts, oil filters, impellers, lubricants, etc.) where they are readily accessible while repair and replacement parts (pumps, RO membranes, charcoal filters, spare propeller, etc.) can be buried in the cockpit lazarette, the space aft of the galley trash bin, or the port space under and aft of  the master berth.  I keep my tools readily available in one of the saloon lazarettes and my wife keeps most of the non-perishable food in another (we have a freezer in the third).  She finds it particularly helpful to 'layer' the foodstuffs with loose cans and bottles on the bottom covered with rubbermaid-type plastic bins holding pasta, flour, rice, etc. 
 
Size, shape, and weight will also help define stowage.  Our sewing machine is a big, rectangular, and heavy piece that would only be happy in the bow portion of the v berth.  Finally, trim of the boat should not be ignored, so distribute the heaviest items along the centerline or evenly about the boat.
 
Hope this helps.
 
Dennis Johns
s/v Libertad, Maramu #121
Bundaberg, Australia


Barry <seagasm@...>
 

Insert bottles of wine into old socks and store them under the floor.
Cheers
Barry & Robyn
Tradewinds III sm 171

--- In amelyachtowners@..., Dennis Johns <sbmesasailor@...> wrote:

Hi Andy,
 
More important than where you stow things is recording where you stowed them.  We created an Excel spreadsheet with what we thought was sufficient detail but later found that you can't have too much detail (i.e. now where was it I put that can of contact cement?).
 
Let common sense be your guide.  Place maintenance parts and materials (belts, oil filters, impellers, lubricants, etc.) where they are readily accessible while repair and replacement parts (pumps, RO membranes, charcoal filters, spare propeller, etc.) can be buried in the cockpit lazarette, the space aft of the galley trash bin, or the port space under and aft of  the master berth.  I keep my tools readily available in one of the saloon lazarettes and my wife keeps most of the non-perishable food in another (we have a freezer in the third).  She finds it particularly helpful to 'layer' the foodstuffs with loose cans and bottles on the bottom covered with rubbermaid-type plastic bins holding pasta, flour, rice, etc. 
 
Size, shape, and weight will also help define stowage.  Our sewing machine is a big, rectangular, and heavy piece that would only be happy in the bow portion of the v berth.  Finally, trim of the boat should not be ignored, so distribute the heaviest items along the centerline or evenly about the boat.
 
Hope this helps.
 
Dennis Johns
s/v Libertad, Maramu #121
Bundaberg, Australia



jjjk12s <jjjk12s@...>
 

Andy,

Happy New Year to you too. As for stowage... beer in the fridge, wine and champagne under the floor, grand marnier, malt whisky and cocnac under the saloon table, blender for mango daiquiris under the sink.

More seriously, storage of heavier items to adjust trim is the thing if you want to avoid a list due to the fuel tank being offset. Also, although technically weight should be kept out of the ends I keep two spare anchors and chain in the bow lockers, helping avoid sitting a little low at the stern. I do not notice any increase in pitching having a bit of weight in the bow lockers. I have thick rubber mats in the bottom these lockers.

I still have the gas in the original position to use the aft lazarette for smelly stuff like fuel and refuse. There is a net on top of the fuel tank to retain the tool box and plastic boxes with regularly used spares. The liferaft is in the cockpit locker but can be stored on deck. Apart from that and the food, every available space appears to be filled with kids toys and books.

John, Maramu #91 Popeye

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "Andy" <allezaubon@...> wrote:

Hi Maramu owners,

Happy New Year to all !!

We are currently in the process of planning to move aboard. However the downside with so much stowage space are the multitude of possibilities.

We would appreciate any feed back from Maramu owners on their thoughts about what is best to stow where and your experiences and advice in general.

Thanks in advance for your support.

Fair winds

Andy


Andy Croney
 

Thank you all for your valued advice,

I am sure we will be re-arranging things BUT we do intend to have a stowage plan.

One more question : The DEEP storage space under the seating behind forward bulkhead - what have you used this space for ?? We're thinking in terms of Tins and Rice ( yes we're from Asia )

We would be interested to hear what you feel is best to store in this space.

Thanks in advance for your feedback , much appreciated.

fair winds

Andy


jjjk12s <jjjk12s@...>
 

Andy,
If you are talking about the fore-cabin we keep stuff like spare turnbuckles and wire, a mini dismantlable workshop table and vice, storm sails, water toys, surplus lifejackets etc there.

Unless you plan to carry loads of dry food there is so much storage space in the saloon it is most convenient to keep it closer to the galley.

Under the centreline seat at the end of the saloon table is a good place for a second fridge/freezer if you don't have one already. We have a top openning Engel that fits nicely. It has a vent/grill in the woodwork for air circulation and a wire via the junction box for the mast lights and along the conduit that supplies these.

Regards
John

--- In amelyachtowners@..., Andrew Croney wrote:

Thank you all for your valued advice,

I am sure we will be re-arranging things BUT we do intend to have a stowage plan.

One more question : The DEEP storage space under the seating behind forward bulkhead - what have you used this space for ?? We're thinking in terms of Tins and Rice ( yes we're from Asia )

We would be interested to hear what you feel is best to store in this space.

Thanks in advance for your feedback , much appreciated.

fair winds

Andy

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


sbmesasailor
 

Because of the centerline position of the storage area aft of the forward bulkhead, we designated it for all my heavy tool and fishing boxes -it's a bit difficult hauling them out from the bottom of this space but they'd be difficult hauling them out of just about anywhere.  Our freezer is custom-made and sits under the portside settee where it is closer to the galley (wife appreciates that).  How about placing your cans and rice under the floor boards this area has stayed bone dry for us throughout our travels.
 
Dennis Johns
s/v Libertad
Maramu #121
Bundaberg, Australia

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]