Grounding problem? (going with tester in engine room)

ferruccilorenzo <ferruccilorenzo@...>

With the 24V alternator disconnected from the electrical system, I tested the resistance with a tester between the black cable from the battery service (normally connected to the alternator) and the metal frame of the motor. The electrician told me that the resistance would have to be nothing, but in my case it is several Ohm. In your experience, this mean anything to you? There may be a problem of grounding in your opinion?

Thank you and I wish you fairwinds!

Lorenzo
SM 2K hull n°420 "Red Passion".
Now in Livorno (Mediterranean Sea)

Lorenzo,

There is not enough information here for me to give you an opinion. Did you solve your Mass red light problem that you had earlier?

It seems as though you have some issue with the internal ground (bonding system).

Also, without knowing what kind of meter and what range you have the meter set at, I think a "few" ohms is reasonable to cover meter error and paint or other non-conductive material where you have connected the tester wires.

Bill
BeBe, SM2k, #387

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "Judy and Bill aboard SV BeBe" wrote:

Lorenzo,

There is not enough information here for me to give you an opinion. Did you solve your Mass red light problem that you had earlier?
Hi Bill and first of all thank you for patience. The mass problem was in the 24V alternator. the mechanic had removed it to control and probably reassembled incorrectly. I have disassembled and reassembled, and now everything works.

It seems as though you have some issue with the internal ground (bonding system).
Do You think that could be a problem of galvanic current? From which test should I begin in Your opinion?

Also, without knowing what kind of meter and what range you have the meter set at, I think a "few" ohms is reasonable to cover meter error and paint or other non-conductive material where you have connected the tester wires.

Bill
BeBe, SM2k, #387

Lorenzo
SM 2K hull n°420 "Red Passion".
Now in Livorno (Mediterranean Sea)

ferruccilorenzo <ferruccilorenzo@...>

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "Judy and Bill aboard SV BeBe" wrote:
Also, without knowing what kind of meter and what range you have the meter set at, I think a "few" ohms is reasonable to cover meter error and paint or other non-conductive material where you have connected the tester wires.

Bill
BeBe, SM2k, #387
Hi, yesterday I took this picture, it might help to understand the extent of the problem.

http://tinypic.com/r/2m2iel3/6

thanks again,