Maramu access to forward part of engine

Andy Croney

Dear Maramu owners,

We have the original Perkins 4154 engine on our Maramu which has developed a leak , as far as I can tell from a failed gasket - in the forward part of the engine.

My question is how to access this area, I can just about squeeze in over the starboard side but that is it. Is there a better way ??

We're even thinking of cutting an access opening from the forward part of the internal corridor ( linking saloon to aft cabin) to the engine room.

We are prepapared to lift the engine out to replace gasket and carry out any other maintenance tasks , do we have to remove the hard dodger to lift it out ??

The access hatch would remain if we need to access the forward part of the engine at a later date.

Your thoughts, experience and ideas much appreciated.

Kindest regards

Andy

Alejandro Paquin

Dear Andy;
You can remove the engine without removing the dodger. We did remove our dodger to do maintenance on the gelcoat etc. We replaced the conpanionway door because for that you do need to remove the dodger.
Removing the engine cover is easy.
If you have access to a winch, or a negative forklift at the dock it will be easy.
We eneded up replacing the engine for a Yanmar
We´ve thought about that door in the corridor. I think you must buy a watertight door from someone like Vetus etc.
Regards,
Alex

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "Andy" wrote:

[...]

Thanks For your feedback Alex and Bill,

Here in Hong Kong we still have many motor junks and fishing boats with old Perkins engine's so parts are not such a problem, if we can give it a new lease of life we would prefer to keep the
Perkins, as the saying goes " they don't make them like they used to "

Hope to start work on it next week , fingers crossed.

Thanks again for your thoughts, much appreciated.

Fair winds

Andy

sbmesasailor

You didn't mention if it was a coolant or oil leak.  If it is a coolant leak, you need only remove the water pump and rebuild it (the water pump is designed to leak at a shaft seal before it seizes).  There is sufficient access to remove the water pump by removing just the engine alternator and raw water pump (sometimes you'll need to be on your right side and sometimes on your left).  You need to be a bit of a gymnast but I did it in my mid-50's.  Be sure to use PB Blaster to loosen those corroded bolts!

If it is an oil leak, that is an engine removal repair and depending on the hours of the engine, it may make sense to repower.

Dennis Johns
s/v Libertad
Maramu #121

Andy Croney

Hi Dennis,

thanks again for your feedback - unfortunately it is an oil leak, we lifted
the engine yesterday. ( I re-routed all the seawater piping and put on a new pump a few Months ago.....

Praise again to Henri, the job was much more straightforward the I had imagined.

The "experts' are now looking at the condition of the Perkins - reconditioning, with a view of keeping it.

I am going to take this opportunity to sort the wiring in the engine room and redo forward bulkhead engine room lining.

The grey water from both aft and forward showers and sinks plus the galley
sinks go to the central bilge and are then pumped out. We're debating
whether we should put in 2 extra thru'hulls and re-run the drainage, Aft sink and shower with Galley sinks via one thru hall system and forward
sink and shower thru another.

Advice and thoughts much appreciated.

Fair winds

Andy