[Amel] SSB instalation

Richard03801 <richard03801@...>

Hi there is no issue in getting you 802 shipped from Defender Industries. Most users use the 140 tuner they work great. Buy the SSB ant at the same time. You will of course need shielded cable and copper foil and a 24 to 12 volt inverter. The 802 only runs on 12 volts. And remember it pull 160 watts every time you transmit. Good luck are you getting the Pactor modem too.

Regards

Richard Piller

Cell 603 767 5330

On Mar 23, 2013, at 18:12, Lior Keydar <lior246@gmail.com> wrote:

hi all

i would like to install ssb radio icom m802 on my boat (amel 54), to order it from the usa and ship it to europe. i think also about using a separate antenna and not the back stay.
can someone advice me what automatic tuner i should use (at-130 or at-140)?
should i order also other options for the installation?
does someone know if there is any problem to ship it to europe?
what would be a good shop in the usa to order it?

thank you for your help
lior

נשלח מה-iPad שלי

Alan Leslie

The ICOM 802 is not approved for use in the EU

AND, if you buy one from the US, it will be transmit locked to the FCC approved channels.

There is a way to reprogram an 802 so that all channels are xmit programmable....you need this if you want to use PACTOR on all available freqs.

I can post this document of anyone is interested...

AT-130 can work with 802 also no problem even tho AT-140 is recommended.

710 / 802 pull about 25-30Amps on xmit @12V..so for a 24V system you need a converter that's min 350W

sm2k redlines have a BLU converter already fitted that can deal with that..Amel 54..dunno...amel@amel.fr may be the best bet...

On Mar 23, 2013, at 18:12, Lior Keydar <lior246@...> wrote:

hi all

i would like to install ssb radio icom m802 on my boat (amel 54), to order it from the usa and ship it to europe. i think also about using a separate antenna and not the back stay.
can someone advice me what automatic tuner i should use (at-130 or at-140)?
should i order also other options for the installation?
does someone know if there is any problem to ship it to europe?
what would be a good shop in the usa to order it?

thank you for your help
lior

נשלח מ×"-iPad שלי

Richard03801 <richard03801@...>

Hi thanks for the note. The 802 has worked just fine with Pactor 3 While there are some channels blocker we have had no issues. With respect to voltage we were not able to fine a 24 volt 802. We did use the Amel supplied 24 to 12 Sailor inverter/converter. As a note we are normally using the SSB with the gen set running.

Regards

Richard Piller

Cell 603 767 5330

On Mar 25, 2013, at 7:51, "divanz620" <divanz620@yahoo.fr> wrote:

[...]

× ×©×œ×— מ×"-iPad שלי

Peter Forbes

I am thinking of adding SSB to an Amel 54 as well - can anyone advise me f the rough order of magnitude cost of the whole system for that type of installation?

Best wishes

Peter Forbes

07836 209730
ppsforbes@gmail.com

On 25 Mar 2013, at 13:46, Richard03801 <richard03801@yahoo.com> wrote:

[...]

Lior <lior246@...>

hi
thanks a lot for your comments.
it would be great if you could post this document.
the amel 54 is ready with 12v for the ssb.

thanks
lior

ב-25 במרץ 2013, בשעה 12:51, "divanz620" <divanz620@yahoo.fr> כתב/ה:

[...]

hi peter

i think that the ssb + at-140 + cable + antenna should cost in the usa up to about 3000 $. in europe it would cost more than 4000€. i dont know how much the installation could cost if you dont do it your self.

regards
lior

ב-25 במרץ 2013, בשעה 15:18, Peter Forbes <ppsforbes@gmail.com> כתב/ה:

[...]

Dear Lior,

Thank you for that.

Peter

Peter Forbes

07836 209730
ppsforbes@gmail.com

On 25 Mar 2013, at 15:03, Lior <lior246@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Eric Freedman

Richard,

Please post the unlock instructions for the 802—so far I have not had any problems using the 802with my pactor-but I guess some channel somewhere is locked.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite

_____

sm2k redlines have a BLU converter already fitted that can deal with that..Amel 54..dunno...amel@amel.fr <mailto:54..dunno...amel%40amel.fr> may be the best bet...

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com <mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com> , Richard03801 <richard03801@...> wrote:

[...]

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Richard,
the info provided for sail mail tells us that there is a lot of interference to the SSB from battery chargers of any sort including alternators and I have certainly found it to be so when doing oceanic scheds. You can be in a situation where reception is unreadable, turn the charging off and it comes clear. Also SSB are very voltage sensitive, have your batteries fully charged before you use it to get best results.
Cheers
Danny
SM299 Ocean Pearl
At Home port Mangonui New Zealand (preparing to leave for Fiji end of May)

On Mar 25, 2013, at 7:51, "divanz620" <mailto:divanz620%40yahoo.fr> wrote:

The ICOM 802 is not approved for use in the EU

AND, if you buy one from the US, it will be transmit locked to the FCC approved channels.

There is a way to reprogram an 802 so that all channels are xmit programmable....you need this if you want to use PACTOR on all available freqs.

I can post this document of anyone is interested...

AT-130 can work with 802 also no problem even tho AT-140 is recommended.

710 / 802 pull about 25-30Amps on xmit @12V..so for a 24V system you need a converter that's min 350W

sm2k redlines have a BLU converter already fitted that can deal with that..Amel mailto:54...dunno...amel%40amel.fr may be the best bet...

--- In mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com, Richard03801 <richard03801@...> wrote:

[...]

Richard Piller <richard03801@...>

Hi yes one of the issues can be RF from a charger or for that matter an electric motor. We have a good ground, at least 3 filters on the SSB one each on the + and - sides as well one from the input the Pactor. We get southbound two on the US coast and as far as the crossing from the Canaries and the Azors. The Pactors claim to fame is the manner in which it unfiltered signals to get email and weather to has worked well in most conditions. One always has to consider what is going on with solar activity.

We use a Delphine smart charger with a Bata Marine gen set. The SSB in a long conversation with Herb can draw a lot of amps. So we make water, charge the battery bank and use the SSB all at the same time. This system has worked very well during any number trans Atlantics as well as to and from the Carbbiann Islands.
Regards
Capt Richard Piller
On Challenge which is now for Sale in Newport RI

On Mar 25, 2013, at 15:23, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

[...]

Eric we have both ham and FCC channels on our set you spec the HAM stations when you buy it. The 802 is for sure a big step,up from the 710 we had years ago.
Regards
Capt Richard Piller

On Mar 25, 2013, at 13:46, Sailorman <kimberlite@optonline.net> wrote:

[...]

I am using the Free version of SPAMfighter <http://www.spamfighter.com/len> .

Do you have a slow PC? <http://www.spamfighter.com/SLOW-PCfighter?cid=sigen> Try a free scan!

Richard Piller <richard03801@...>

We just priced an 802 at Defender with 140, whip antenna and cable for under $2,700. All you then need is the mount for the antenna, wire, filters and installation hardware.
Good luck all.
Regards
Capt Richard Piller
SM 209 for sale in Newport RI
On Mar 25, 2013, at 11:03, Lior <lior246@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

I some times get QRM from the freezers under the seat otherwise no other QRM .

[...]

Thanks Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite

WB2CWD

_____

sm2k redlines have a BLU converter already fitted that can deal with that..Amel 54..dunno...amel@amel.fr <mailto:54..dunno...amel%40amel.fr> <mailto:54..dunno...amel%40amel.fr> may be the best bet...

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com <mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com> , Richard03801 <richard03801@...> wrote:

[...]

Peter,

I would check and see if you already have the bonding in place for the SSB, I believe the SMs were all set up for SSB”S

You will save money by purchasing the radio from the USA, but I think the antennas freight will be terrible.

ב-25 במרץ 2013, בשעה 15:18, Peter Forbes <ppsforbes@gmail.com <mailto:ppsforbes%40gmail.com> > כתב/ה:

On Mar 25, 2013, at 7:51, "divanz620" <divanz620@yahoo.fr <mailto:divanz620%40yahoo.fr> > wrote:

[...]

Hi Eric you are right about buying here in the States. The Antenna unscrews into 3 parts and is easy to ship.

Regards

Richard Piller

Cell 603 767 5330

On Mar 25, 2013, at 20:21, Sailorman <kimberlite@optonline.net> wrote:

[...]

I think the limit for normal freight is 6 feet and I believe the antenna is 21-23 feet long . it is only a few hundred dollars and the freight has to be at least $100 based upon previous European shipments.

ב-25 במרץ 2013, בשעה 15:18, Peter Forbes <ppsforbes@gmail.com <mailto:ppsforbes%40gmail.com> <mailto:ppsforbes%40gmail.com> > כתב/ה:

On Mar 25, 2013, at 7:51, "divanz620" <divanz620@yahoo.fr <mailto:divanz620%40yahoo.fr> <mailto:divanz620%40yahoo.fr> > wrote:

[...]

Eric,

I've just posted ICMO 802 unlock pdf file in files.

Good luck

Alan

PS Anyone that wants to unlock a 710, I can tell you how to do that too !

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, Sailorman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

Thanks Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite

WB2CWD

_____

Eric we have both ham and FCC channels on our set you spec the HAM stations when you buy it. The 802 is for sure a big step,up from the 710 we had years ago.

Sent from my iPad
Regards
Capt Richard Piller

On Mar 25, 2013, at 13:46, Sailorman <kimberlite@... <mailto:kimberlite%40optonline.net> > wrote:

Richard,

Please post the unlock instructions for the 802â€"so far I have not had any problems using the 802with my pactor-but I guess some channel somewhere is locked.

sm2k redlines have a BLU converter already fitted that can deal with that..Amel 54..dunno...amel@... <mailto:54..dunno...amel%40amel.fr> <mailto:54..dunno...amel%40amel.fr> may be the best bet...

[...]

× ש×Å"×â€" מ×"-iPad ש×Å"×™

_____

I am using the Free version of SPAMfighter <http://www.spamfighter.com/len> .

Do you have a slow PC? <http://www.spamfighter.com/SLOW-PCfighter?cid=sigen> Try a free scan!

Peter Forbes

This is, without doubt, the most stunning group communications system. Thanks so much for all the advice.

I am about to retire and buy an Amel - I fell upon this website group about 4 months ago and it has provided endless advice and entertainment as I try hard to pretend that I'm working hard towards the end of my career. I have learned a huge amount and it keeps me well awake.

Thank you all.

I'll do a posting when I get the Amel!

Peter

Peter Forbes

07836 209730
ppsforbes@gmail.com

On 26 Mar 2013, at 03:12, Sailorman <kimberlite@optonline.net> wrote:

[...]

Roy Duddy <RDuddy@...>

Divanz620,

I would appreciate your sending the information.

Roy
On Mar 25, 2013, at 7:51 AM, divanz620 wrote:

[...]

שלח מ"-iPad שלי

Roy Duddy
Duddy Law Offices
One Liberty Lane, Suite 256