Clothes washer issue on SM 391

johnabo2003 <no_reply@...>

Our Thomson Australe washer is acting up. It will run thru the agitate cycle and half of the rinse cycle, it will then stop and flash between the rinse and stop lights. I have cleaned out the lint filter and also opened up the pump cover and shop vac'd out the pump area. I can see no blockages on the drain side and I think I can hear the pump running on the drain cycle. If I switch the machine straight to the spin cycle I can hear the pump run but again the drum will not start on the spin cycle and the spin light and stop light will both flash.

Does anybody have a copy of the Thompson Australe shop service manual? I am sure this is a minor problem that could easily be diagnosed with a good manual.

thx
John Abercrombie SM #391

John,

It is possible that the pump is worn out, or the impeller is slipping on the axle of the pump.

You can check to see if the error is a result of not completely pumping out by removing the wood cabinet and checking the manual drain hose which is taped to the front of the washer. Have a bucket handy and remove the plug on this hose. If it is the pump, I found a "universal 230v washer pump" at www.espares.co.uk: Universal Askoll Washing Machine Magnet Motor Pump (ES1087464) for £9.99 inc VAT. I had it shipped to the US and my total cost was less than $30USD. BTW, espares also has knobs for your Eno stove.

I hope this helps.

Bill
BeBe SM2k, #387

--- In amelyachtowners@..., johnabo2003 <no_reply@...> wrote:

Our Thomson Australe washer is acting up. It will run thru the agitate cycle and half of the rinse cycle, it will then stop and flash between the rinse and stop lights. I have cleaned out the lint filter and also opened up the pump cover and shop vac'd out the pump area. I can see no blockages on the drain side and I think I can hear the pump running on the drain cycle. If I switch the machine straight to the spin cycle I can hear the pump run but again the drum will not start on the spin cycle and the spin light and stop light will both flash.

Does anybody have a copy of the Thompson Australe shop service manual? I am sure this is a minor problem that could easily be diagnosed with a good manual.

thx
John Abercrombie SM #391

johnabo2003 <no_reply@...>

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the update, I did have some water drain out when I unpluged the hose. However after draining the water out the washer will still not run the spin cycle. It may be a faulty sensor or it could be that the belt is broken. I think that I may have to take the washer out of the cabinate and have a look inside...

Hopefully it is something obvious.

I am going to the UK next week and will pick up a pump. Did you change yous or just pick it up as a spare?

-- In amelyachtowners@..., "Judy and Bill aboard SV BeBe" <yahoogroups@...> wrote:

[...]

I changed mine. The original pump was defective. When power was applied to the defective pump rather than spinning it would vibrate. The universal pump installs without any modification...just bolts in. Be careful there are lots of hoses connected.

Bill

[...]

Gaffney, Drew <drew.gaffney@...>

Hi,
We replaced the Thompson-Brandt washer on Revelation SM390 with a newer version in 2006. The shop/repair manual is in the file section of the Amel web site: SM Brandt-thomson Washer tech Manual.pdf. It includes BIST routines that are helpful for identifying errors. The drawings are quite useful as well.
Drew
Revelation SM390

johnabo2003 <no_reply@...>

will take a look. thx very much. where did you buy the new machine?

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "Gaffney, Drew" <drew.gaffney@...> wrote:

Hi,
We replaced the Thompson-Brandt washer on Revelation SM390 with a newer version in 2006. The shop/repair manual is in the file section of the Amel web site: SM Brandt-thomson Washer tech Manual.pdf. It includes BIST routines that are helpful for identifying errors. The drawings are quite useful as well.
Drew
Revelation SM390

drew_gaffney <drew.gaffney@...>

The previous owner had ordered it from Amel. It came a few months after we bought the boat. It was incredibly expensive. There are previous posts on substitutes, but so far, ours has worked well. We think it a good machine and anywhere the French have colonized at some point, there are repair services. The manual has been very helpful.
Drew
Revelation SM390