yanmar exhaust (mixing) elbow.

kimberlite@...

We are now on our third mixing elbow.
they seem to develop pinholes particularly near the mounting flange. last time we just welded over it now it needs to be replaced. has anyone else had this problem?
we have about 4500 hours on our engine.
Fair winds
eric
sm 376

Eric,

Yes. TIG welding will only last a short time because it leaves pin holes and corrosion inside the elbow. It appears that the mixing elbow is good for about 3000 hours and a repaired elbow for about 1000 hours. I repaired ours and kept it as a spair, replacing it with an expensive new part (imported to Thailand).

Bill
BeBe, SM2k, #387
Gocek, Turkey

--- In amelyachtowners@..., kimberlite@... wrote:

We are now on our third mixing elbow.
they seem to develop pinholes particularly near the mounting flange. last time we just welded over it now it needs to be replaced. has anyone else had this problem?
we have about 4500 hours on our engine.
Fair winds
eric
sm 376

jeffrapp2 <rapp.jeffrey@...>

Hi Eric
We had the same problem, and did the same thing. I was going to replace the elbow, but was amazed at the price. As I remember, it was around $600 or more from Yanmar.
BTW, regarding yacht brokers, if one is looking to buy or sell in the Western Hemisphere, there is no one else to consider but Joel Potter, in my opinion. Everything said about Michael can also be said about him.
Jeff
SM 253 ex "Antares"

--- In amelyachtowners@..., kimberlite@... wrote:

We are now on our third mixing elbow.
they seem to develop pinholes particularly near the mounting flange. last time we just welded over it now it needs to be replaced. has anyone else had this problem?
we have about 4500 hours on our engine.
Fair winds
eric
sm 376

seafeverofcuan <seafeverofcuan@...>

Hi Eric,
We need to tap into the massive brian power and experience in this forum. You and I have the same engine, I just serviced the injectors, etc. major service. When they were at the diesel shop I took the original elbow off, wire brushed it, then some wet and dry with WD40 and it came up like new - what are we doing differently? My engine has circa 3300 hours.

Update on the battery scenario. I had an email from Peter Killen of Pure Magic, we are both members of the Irish Cruising Club. Peter went through the charger /battery routine last year and spoke to Amel.
Pochon removed the 30amp Dolphin which was defective and replaced it with a Mastervolt 40amp smart charger leaving the 100amp in place to use for bulk charging with the generator.

I will follow his lead, I checked the measurements before I left the boat, both wiring and mounting space look straight forward and it all seems in accord with the advice that Richard has been giving and I will stick with lead wet batteries.

Best regards,

Trevor

Sea Fever of Cuan
SM425

Ireland

--- In amelyachtowners@..., kimberlite@... wrote:

We are now on our third mixing elbow.
they seem to develop pinholes particularly near the mounting flange. last time we just welded over it now it needs to be replaced. has anyone else had this problem?
we have about 4500 hours on our engine.
Fair winds
eric
sm 376

Mark Erdos

I had to repair on the Yanmar 4JH4HTE due to a small pin hole on the weld. I noticed it when I rebuilt the turbocharger. I have <900 hrs on the engine. I repaired the unit with JB Weld HighHeat expoxy putty after wiping down with acetone. I put a ring of putty around the entire joint. I cleaned out the carbon build up with a dremmel (very messy).

I purchased two new ones from Mastry for about $500 ea. I will keep as spares in inventory.

Mark
SM2K #275
www.creampuff.us