rear holding tank clogged

Giovanni TESTA

Hi to all, I remember that some used to pour acid into the tank to dissolve the organic obstruction. But I don't remeber which, from which hole and how to work. Please, any suggestion may help.
All the best
Giovanni TESTA SM 428
Port Vila
Vanuatu

Ciao Gianni,

I do not know if this was the correct thing to do...BUT...I used a form of acid that was some solution of Hydrochloric acid on BeBe's aft tank valve. I poured it in the deck pump-out opening, let it sit for about 15-20 seconds, then worked the valve handle back and forth. I repeated twice, then flushed with baking soda and water solution to neutralize the acid. I believe once you get it working freely you may be able to pump some lithium grease into the valve to lubricate it.

If your tank is full, you will have to have it pumped out before you try above.

Hope this helps.

Bill
BeBe, SM2k, #387
Currently Fethiye, Turkey

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "Giovanni Testa" <gtesta23@...> wrote:

Hi to all, I remember that some used to pour acid into the tank to dissolve the organic obstruction. But I don't remeber which, from which hole and how to work. Please, any suggestion may help.
All the best
Giovanni TESTA SM 428
Port Vila
Vanuatu

Craig Briggs

Gianni,

I may have been the one you recall being an advocate of Hydrochloric acid - also known as Muriatic acid. All your plumbing parts will be non-reactive with it (remember, much waste going in is acidic). Depending on the amount of build-up in your pipes you may have to let it "cook" for a long time and repeat to get them really clean. Then every few weeks should keep things clear. No need for the extra chemical reaction excitement of adding a base like baking soda to the acid - the deposits you're attacking are already doing that so just flush everything through. Hydrochloric acid totally dissociates in water. Of course, do be eco friendly with your discharge.

It's sold in many countries as toilet cleaner, but read the label to be sure it's Hydrochloric acid and not caustic soda and never mix those - way too exciting. Some brands also contain surfactants that add to the effectiveness, but plain HCl is excellent and cheap.

Cheers,
Craig Briggs