Topics

New Group

Edited

To:     All members of the Amel Yacht Owners Group and New Members

From:
Bill Rouse

In 2002, “Closereach” founded the Amel Yacht Owners Group on Yahoo Groups platform with a handful of members. Our group grew in membership to the hundreds when Closereach retired from our group and turned the group’s ownership over to Jose Luis Isasi. Jose led the group to over 1000 members and in 2018 turned the ownership over to me.

In the beginning and through a number of years, the Yahoo platform worked well for most of our members. However, as technology progressed, Yahoo Groups did not, and many of the members began complaining of numerous shortcomings with the Yahoo platform. Additionally, Yahoo simply stopped supporting the groups about 2 years ago and left known bugs and problems continue to irritate all of us. Lastly, we cannot ignore the numerous rumors about Yahoo and what they may do with the Yahoo Groups, especially since they no longer support their group platform.

Groups.io is a new and different platform for groups like ours. Although they offer a “free” group platform, it is not for us because we need more features and we are larger than the small groups the free platform is intended for. Groups.io has a PREMIUM platform which is generally designed like the Yahoo platform that we are accustomed to, but Groups.io has search ability that works, and many other tools that work.

The Amel Owners Group moderators and I have been testing Groups.io for several weeks and made the decision to move the Amel Yacht Owners Group to Groups.io. Hopefully the transition will go as smooth as possible, but I am sure that there will be issues. We are moving all of our data with us. There is a minimal cost involved ($110/year), which Amel School will pay for 5 years. I believe that this will give us plenty of time to plan for the years after the first 5.

The Moderators of our Group will remain: Mark McGovern, SM CARA, Mark Erdos, SM CREAM PUFF, Danny SIMMS, SM OCEAN PEARL, and Gary Wells, SM ADAGIO

As a member, you can post a message to the new Amel Yacht Owners Group by sending an email to: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io

I hope that you all will enjoy the new platform.

CW Bill Rouse
Amel School
720 Winnie Street
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

Just to let you know, the migration of Members, messages, photos, and files is still in progress. Hopefully it will be completed soon. I appreciate your patience.

--
CW Bill Rouse
Amel School

Arno Luijten

Bill,

Thank you very much for this migration. This is really an improvement over the old Yahoo stuff. Excellent move!

One small thing I would like to say about the migrarion. The mail I got to raise awareness about the move did make me think it was a phishing mail so I threw it away. I'm not sure if there is a way to make the announcement more "authentic",  but the domain ".io"made me doubt the reliability of the announcement.
Just my 2 cents....

Arno,

Thanks for your comments. The support people were working on this yesterday and last night. Frankly, they "pushed the button" without me knowing they were going to be so quick and surprised our moderators and me...sorry about that.

I think we all are going to like what we have...I see some clean-up required in re-naming photos, but we had that issue before, but Yahoo gave us no way to re-name them.🙈

Best,

Bill Rouse
Amel School
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 9:47 AM Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> wrote:
Bill,

Thank you very much for this migration. This is really an improvement over the old Yahoo stuff. Excellent move!

One small thing I would like to say about the migrarion. The mail I got to raise awareness about the move did make me think it was a phishing mail so I threw it away. I'm not sure if there is a way to make the announcement more "authentic",  but the domain ".io"made me doubt the reliability of the announcement.
Just my 2 cents....

--
CW Bill Rouse
Amel School
720 Winnie Street
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

James Cromie

Thank you, Bill, for all of your efforts and time.  We all know that you have dedicated a tremendous amount of resource and time for the sake of helping all of us who enjoy owning an Amel.  It is greatly appreciated!

Best,
James

On Feb 12, 2019, at 11:11 AM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

February 12, 2019

To:     All existing members of the Amel Yacht Owners Group on Yahoo!

From: Bill Rouse

[...]

The Amel Owners Group moderators and I have been testing Groups.io for several weeks and made the decision to move the Amel Yacht Owners Group to Groups.io. Hopefully the transition will go as smooth as possible, but I am sure that there will be issues. We are moving all of our data with us. There is a minimal cost involved ($110/year), which Amel School will pay for 5 years. I believe that this will give us plenty of time to plan for the years after the first 5. For instance, the Nordhavn Group moved from Yahoo, supported by members and shortly after the move Nordhavn’s parent company agreed to pay all of the costs.

The Moderators of our Group will remain: Mark McGovern, SM CARA, Mark Erdos, SM CREAM PUFF, Danny SIMMS, SM OCEAN PEARL, and Gary Wells, SM ADAGIO

You will need to:

Use a different email address when sending an email. Use main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io

Go to the new Amel Yacht Owners website address https://amelyachtowners.groups.io/g/main/topics  and establish a log-in by clicking on “Log In” in the upper right and follow the instructions for “Forgot your password, or don't have one yet?”

I hope that you all will enjoy the new platform.

Bill Rouse

--
CW Bill Rouse
Amel School
720 Winnie Street
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

Cathy & Guillaume

Hi Bill,

Many thanks to you, and all those involved with the new forum, for all the work this must have been. It looks great and I am sure the functionalities will be much better than Yahoo!

All the best,

Cathy & Guillaume
s/v Carpathia III - SM2K #293

JOHN HAYES

 Vast improvement Bill

Thanks your efforts

John Hayes
Nga Waka sn41

On 13/02/2019, at 4:11 AM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

February 12, 2019

To:     All existing members of the Amel Yacht Owners Group on Yahoo!

From: Bill Rouse

[...]

Nice one Bill.

Not sure many were very happy with yahoo, I can see this is a vast improvement already!

Looking forward to it!!

James

SV TITANIUM

Anna Eriksson

Thank you very much! Way better! 👍

Craig & Katherine Briggs

Bill,

Bravo Zulu !

Cheers, Craig

Rudolf Waldispuehl

Bill,
Thank you and the other colleagues for all of your efforts and time. We all know that you all have done tremendous amount of work to make it happen!
It is greatly appreciated; - I love these Group!
Best,
Ruedi

Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Bill Rouse <brouse@...>
Datum: Dienstag, 12. Februar 2019 um 22:51
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Betreff: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] New Group

[...]

Ruedi,

Thanks so much for your kind words.

It wasn't me as much as it was Mark McGovern, Gary Wells, Mark Erdos and Danny SIMMS, all Super Maramu owners and members of this group.

Best,

Bill Rouse

Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Bill Rouse <brouse@...>
Datum: Dienstag, 12. Februar 2019 um 22:51
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>

[...]

Peter Forbes

Bill,

Your contribution to the Amel family is outstanding - keep going - i read it all and its brilliant. Amel have no idea how lucky they are.

I go to Amel in La Rochelle in March and will deliver any message if I can help. I get on with them well actually.

Peter
Peter Forbes
The Old Rectory
Farnham
Blandford
Dorset
DT11 8DE

Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Bill Rouse <brouse@...>
Datum: Dienstag, 12. Februar 2019 um 22:51
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>

[...]

Thanks for your email. I sent you a private email.

Best,

Bill Rouse

Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Bill Rouse <brouse@...>
Datum: Dienstag, 12. Februar 2019 um 22:51
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>

[...]

Paul Stascavage

Bill,

To you, Mark, Gary, Mark, and Danny a huge thank you. I’m sure the effort involved a significant amount of your time and I for one greatly appreciate your generosity both for making this move as well as all your input into the forum as a whole.

Thanks so so much and all the best.

Paul Stascavage
SM #466
S/V Rita Kathryn
West Palm Beach, FL

Mike Johnson

Hi Bill,

As with everyone in the Amel family we really appreciate your efforts and knowledge on our behalf.

Mike & Peta

On 14 Feb 2019, at 18:56, Paul Stascavage via Groups.Io <pstas2003@...> wrote:

Bill,

To you, Mark, Gary, Mark, and Danny a huge thank you. I’m sure the effort involved a significant amount of your time and I for one greatly appreciate your generosity both for making this move as well as all your input into the forum as a whole.

Thanks so so much and all the best.

Paul Stascavage
SM #466
S/V Rita Kathryn
West Palm Beach, FL

Thanks Mike...say hello to Peta from Judy and me.

Best,

Bill Rouse

On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 9:38 AM Mike Johnson via Groups.Io <mike.k.johnson=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Bill,

As with everyone in the Amel family we really appreciate your efforts and knowledge on our behalf.

Mike & Peta

On 14 Feb 2019, at 18:56, Paul Stascavage via Groups.Io <pstas2003@...> wrote:

Bill,

To you, Mark, Gary, Mark, and Danny a huge thank you. I’m sure the effort involved a significant amount of your time and I for one greatly appreciate your generosity both for making this move as well as all your input into the forum as a whole.

Thanks so so much and all the best.

Paul Stascavage
SM #466
S/V Rita Kathryn
West Palm Beach, FL

Alexander Ramseyer

Hi Bill,

I appreciate your effort and please take me also on the list to see how AMEL replies ..

thanks, Alex

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 14. Februar 2019 um 10:39 Uhr
Von: "Bill Rouse" <brouse@...>
An: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
[...]

Peter Buckley

Hi Bill,

Thank you for your continued support for current, past and soon to be again Amel owners. Could you please include me in the group.

Kind Regards

Peter

--
Peter Buckley

83 Twelfth Avenue
Raymond Island VIC 3880

Phone: 0428 427 786

Email: carhartt@...

From: Bill Rouse <brouse@...>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2019 09:39:45 -0600
To: <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] New Group

[...]

Kaplan,Andre

To Bill and his colleagues who moved this forum to groups.io...
I would like to extend my sincere thanks for your efforts in this endeavor. This platform is far easier for me to use and has opened up previously hard to find data.
Nice Job!
Andre Kaplan
Mango 71 88

On Feb 17, 2019, at 2:12 PM, Mark McGovern <mfmcgovern@...> wrote: