[Amel] Amel Super Maramu Mainsail Outhaul Gearbox

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Does anyone know the LeRoy Somer replacement part number of the bronze gear

Bill
BeBe

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 11:40 PM, <johnericmorton@...> wrote:

My mainsail outhaul drive failed recently - motor turning OK but only a rattling sound from the gearbox.  I used a hydraulic ram to remove the centre shaft from the mainsail outhaul gearbox - popped up easily with the maximum 5 tonne applied but only after some careful application of heat using an electric heat gun.  I've taken it apart. The phosphor bronze driven gear has stripped probably because the top gerabox bearing on the output shaft had more or less seized.   I've seen earlier posts on this site regarding this type of failure as well as part numbers and gearbox details.  The price quoted by Amel seems horrendous for the gear only, the complete gearbox cost is even more horrendous. Also not impressed with response time for spares so relcutant to order either of these from this source. Managed to source a more or less identical LeRoy Somer gearbox as part of an industrial secondhand geared motor in excellent condit ion on eBay. (Ratio 1 to 75 rather than 1 to 60). However the helpful vendor could not separate the 240V AC drive motor from the MVA gearbox.  Frustration!!!   I'm sure I can easily source the bearings and seals etc locally to do a full rebuild but it would be a bit of a mission to get a local guy to cut a new one off gearwheel. Has anyone sourced either a replacement gearbox or just the phosphor bronze driven gear from anywhere other than Amel recently? I'm in NZ and keen to get back out on the Hauraki Gulf for the rest of this summer. Thanks for your guidance and help - this Yahoo Group is fantastic and a real credit to all you enthusiastic owners.   John and Mali Morton on Wanderer at Bayswater Marina in Auckland.

seafeverofcuan@...

Hi Bill,

         Somewhere in all the postings on this subject I am almost sure that there is an article stating the reason why those gears are so expensive as Amel had a batch run exclusive to them. Hence the search for complete gearbox units as in the final analysis because they are more cost competitive.

I think that Eric has the US supplier details on record somewhere on this site.

I picked up your email only last week re. Seafever and sent replies to your two email addresses, did you get them?

Best wishes for a healthy and happy 2014.

Fair winds,

Trevor

Seafever of Cuan

SM425

Ireland

Sailorman <kimberlite@...>

I received complete gearbox parts from Leroy sommers USA including the
bronze gear and I rebuilt

Both of my gearboxes, I had to add new bearings.

I also added a nylon 5 mm screw on either side. This enabled me to use the
autoprop grease adapter and annually change the grease. I do not believe the
have any more available in the USA.

Trevor I have attached a photo of what I received from Leroy.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite

_____