From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...] On Behalf Of seafeverofcuan@...
Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2014 3:54 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel] RE: AGM batteries

Hi Anne,

            I have seen Lifeline AGM installed apparently successfully in a Super Maramu but you need to understand how your total charging system works and adjust it all accordingly.

I have had batteries badly abused and downright destroyed by others who were supposed to looking after the boat- it happens everywhere  if you have to leave the boat for extended periods  it is easier to pay for and find deep cycle wet cell. AGM really suffer if they get over charged. Next time I will look for wet cell that I can top up rather than sealed wet cell.

The heat also plays havoc with performance and lifespan. There are endless postings on this site on this subject.

Amel do not recommend anything other than wet cell for the Super Maramu and state eighteen months life cycle for live aboard maximum and up to four years for light use.I have found this to be fairly close.

I made the decision some years ago to accept the cost of new batteries every couple of years or so and live with it.

Fair Winds.

Trevor Lusty

Seafever of cuan

SM425 Ireland

seafeverofcuan@...

Thanks Eric.I have been able to do that on some brands. The last lot were Vetus which were expensive and really good performance. They were destroyed in under a year by the 30amp charger going rogue and interestingly I had a real good go at trying to rehydrate them as I had nothing to lose, but on this occasion they were heat welded and I couldn't get into them without destroying them.

Having been through this several times I am now convinced that when I am off the boat for a number of months the best all round solution is to disconnect them all totally. Which is the only reason I could think of to justify the price for AGM as they degrade so slowly. I think if you are living on board and are on hand to care for them properly then you would have a better chance of getting value from AGM.

Trevor