Dinghy davits

Stephanie DiBelardino <stephiedib@...>

Hi all!

We need to buy dinghy davits for our Amel 53. I would appreciate your recommendations, particularly for those brands that are available in the US.

Many thanks and Fair Winds!
Stephanie
SM 353 Indecent
Lying in at our dock, Grand Bahama Island

seafeverofcuan@...

Hi Stephanie,
                   KATO seem to be the best in the US. If you have the patience to look through the photographs on File look at the custom job Pen Azen did just for a dinghy - no solar panels. Bebe has a super arch for both. If you can't find the photographs send me an email address and I will forward my saved file.
Trevor Lusty
Seafever
SM425
Ireland

Dave_Benjamin

Kato has already been mentioned and that's a great unit. Garhauer offers excellent value and their fabrication shop can do custom work. Personally I'm not a fan of having a bunch of weight in the stern. I think it's nuts to carry a dinghy in davits offshore. I see davits as something you make use of in protected waters and it's a great convenience when hopping between anchorages. I've had customer boats suffer harm taking big following seas and damaging the dinghy, davits, pushpit, and deck structure. Of course we do our sailing off the US west coast and in the Pacific. Conditions elsewhere may be far more benign.
With our Maramu, I just made a bridle for the dinghy and used a halyard. I suppose if I had a big heavy RIB, I might use an electric winch handle to make handling easier. Some friends of ours who sailed their SM tens of thousands of miles carried the dinghy on top of the aft cabin when underway. That works better on the SM than it does on the Maramu thanks to the slightly longer cabin.