[Amel Yacht Owners] sat phones

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Pat,

I gave away our GlobalStar equipment because the satellites were too unreliable.  Spot is GlobalStar.  So that leaves Iridium or local cell and/or local wifi.

It has been 6 years since we have been in the Caribbean.  GlobalStar says they have new satellites, but they lied to all their users so much 6 years ago,  I will never trust them.

You also need to remember that, for the most part, all sat phones are designed to be one way calling. The generally are not designed to carry in your pocket or set on a table inside the boat so that your daughters can reach you by text or call.

I would try local wifi/skype and/or local cell. You may have to get new SIMs at each island, but you'll be going ashore anyway. Then if that doesn't work for you, GMPCS in FL can ship you an iridium phone to any island.

What about BlackBerry worldwide service. I would check into that as well.

CW Bill Rouse
sent from my tablet

On Feb 15, 2014 4:34 PM, <sailw32@...> wrote:

We will be heading to the Caribbean next fall and my wife will want to text our daughters almost daily and speak to them every week or so. I thought I would seek advice from the group as to what is both reliable and affordable. Spot Global, Iridium , Global Star or what else may be available ?

                                                                                                   Thanks ,Pat & Diane

         &nb sp;                                                                                         SM Shenanigans

Lior <lior246@...>

hello everybody

you are compering the globalstar with iridium. can anyone give also a feedback about the inmarsat phones? it costs about 1$/min and has a large coverage (that what i heard). does anyone has expirience with inmarsat phones?

thanks
lior

‫ב-15 בפבר 2014, בשעה 16:02, ‏"Bill & Judy Rouse" <yahoogroups@...> כתב/ה:‬

[...]

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Hello Lior,

I do have an Inmarsat, I have the Mini-M which end of life is expected in 2015 or 2016.
The quality is great, but the cost is very high. I paid $2.83/min.
Since I was NOT HAPPY with my provider (Global Satellite) "Fake" Florida company really located in Moroco (they were calling me from skype?!?) I am looking for a new provider. But regardless the quality was excellent and the coverage is world wide. So if you are only in the Caribbean, I would say overkilled. The previous owner of my boat, used to cross the Atlantic, etc.

Hope that helps, sincerely, Alexandre
SM2K #289 NIKIMAT
Brown's Marina, North Bimini, The Bahamas

Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] sat phones
To: "amelyachtowners@..." <amelyachtowners@...>
Date: Saturday, February 15, 2014, 1:53 PM

wrote:

We will be heading to the Caribbean next
fall and my wife will want to text our daughters almost
daily and speak to them every week or so. I thought I would
seek advice from the group as to what is both reliable and
affordable. Spot Global, Iridium , Global Star or what else
may be available ?

Thanks ,Pat &
Diane         &nb
sp;
SM Shenanigans

JEFFREY KRAUS

Halidun Karagoz

hi lior,
i'm using inmarsat / thrane&thrane fleet broadband 250. i've used it around the world flawlessly both for voice and data communication. although it is somewhat expensive, i think its worth it, especially if you are to sail to remote places.
cheers,

haldun

s/v amanin
am54 no 164
currently on passage from cabo verde to la palma

On Saturday, February 15, 2014 7:53 PM, Lior wrote:

[...]

seafeverofcuan@...

Another Fleet Broad band user.
FACTS YOU REALLY NEED TO KNOW
A Skype app. is lethal for downloading updates without you knowing until you get your bill.
All and I mean ALL apps. and programs must be switched off before you connect to the internet otherwise your PC will download every update it can find out there and you have no way of knowing until the bill arrives.

I find it works much better and cleaner with a Mac Book Pro logging on to a dedicated closed email address with Mailasail.co.uk. That way there is no roaming for updates from other internet sites.

The Sat phone charges commence the moment you start to key in a phone number NOT when the call connects.

 Downloading large data files (e.g. manuals, instructions ) while at sea can be a very costly business $1k plus! if the connection drops out - how do I know this?

It works very very well but is prohibitively costly and I always pull the jack plug out of the Mac when not in use.
For weather charting and routing,all sites, it is simply fantastic.
I still haven't sailed into a dead zone and always have had coverage.
Excellent for safety I have used it to relay piracy from The African coast to UK navy in minutes.

In saying all that Blackberry world roaming $100 per year wins every time for solid land based communication at affordable and reliable rates.

Knowing what I know now I would never have installed Fleet as the running costs never came close to what I was lead to believe, it is just too expensive.
Average annual billing using Fleet including some business use $10 to 14k over a three year period.
At least forty per cent of this was data i.e. updates I didn't know about or want.

The most stable PC platform for Fleet has been Windows XP3.

I would choose my hand held Iridium over Fleet simply because you know what the bill is going to be and you can call anytime from your Sat. phone to get the balance.
The Satellite dish is mounted on the port side pushpit rail with a stabilizing bracket and has been a success.

Fair Winds,
Trevor lusty
Seafever

JEFFREY KRAUS

Patrick McAneny

I am thinking Skype may be a good way to say in touch. The Skype website they showed their hotspots in the Caribbean , they were limited ,showed no hotspots south of Antiqua . Can someone confirm that one can connect to Skype further south down to Grenada ? Has Skype proved to be a reliable means to communicate back to the states? Has, as Trevor mentioned, the unintentional downloading of updates been a problem ?
                                                                                                                                                                    Thanks, Pat SM #123

[...]

karkauai

You can use Skype for phone calls anytime you have internet access.  The problem, I think, is when you have your satphone on and hooked up to your laptop or touchpad via hardwire or wifi hotspot. That's when it downloads updates using your satphone data. If you are ashore or on the hook and connected to a commercial or free hotspot it's just like using Skype on your home wifi connection. So, yes, you can call with Skype from anywhere in the Caribbean that you can connect to the internet.
Kent

[...]

I think the Skype webpage was simply showing examples of Internet hotspots. Internet hotspots are everywhere today.

We use Skype with any Internet connection...any WiFi, any SIM modem, any direct connection. Skype is software that allows you to use any internet connection to call other Skype-using computers at no charge, or any telephone in the world cheaply.

Skype is free computer to computer, free to 800 numbers dialed and about 2 cents to dial a US number...other countries more.

Bill
BeBe

Bill

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 2:24 PM, Patrick Mcaneny <sailw32@...> wrote:

[...]

Bill & Kent, Thanks for the info, you answered my questions. I think we will primarily rely on Skype and get a wifi booster. Thanks Again, Pat

[...]

Go ahead and get Skype now so that you can try it out and get used to it. We have the simplest plan where we prepay with a deposit of $10 and Skype automatically grabs another $10 when our account gets low.

Skype has many plans, including assigning a phone number to your account with your choice of area code so that people can send you texts, call you, etc.

Bill
BeBe

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 3:25 PM, Patrick Mcaneny <sailw32@...> wrote:

[...]

hi
first thanks all for the great information.
i have the boost wifi for extending the local hotspots and make a local wifi network in the boat.
if i have a local sim with 3G internet, then it is very easy to use every mobile phone or ipad as a wifi router/hotspot. in this way i get a local wifi network thru the 3G.
for off shore sailing i installed ssb and i hope that it will work fine for downloading grib files. the sat phone should be used as a backup and for phone calls when there is no internet connection. i think that i will buy the isatphone. you can get a new one for about 600 $ in ebay and it can be used with pre paid cards. as far as i see in internet you can get everywhere good connection. for downloading grib files it should be possible to put the phone outside (cockpit) and connect it to the computer inside the boat thru bluetooth.
btw. there are many voip provider that offer you similar service like skype.
you can install the app and use your mobile with it every time you have internet connection. the quality is really good.

lior
sharona, amel 54, #18

‫ב-16 בפבר 2014, בשעה 15:42, ‏"Bill & Judy Rouse" <yahoogroups@...> כתב/ה:‬

[...]

Ann-Sofie Svanberg <kanalmamman@...>

Hi Patrik
We are at Grenada now, and can confirm that you have plenty of WiFi net to connect to.
In Antigua, you can buy access to hothothotspot, in Tobago you have free wifi fromboth Digicell and LIME and you can buy access to Cruisers WiFi. The last one works perfectly in Trinidad and Grenada as well. In Chaguaramas on Trinidad, every marina has wifi for their guests, some are free and some you have to pay for.
Here in Grenada, you have free internet on most marinas and restaurants if you don't want to use Cruisers WiFi.
One month, with no limitations in use, with Criusers WiFi are 40 USD.

/Annsofie
S/Y Lady Annila, SM 232 at Carriacou

Skickat från min iPad

[...]

Duncan Hagemeyer

In the…for what it’s worth category….unless you are going into places that are so remote they don’t have cells, wifi’s or basic phones, or you have a few thousand dollars you want to toss overboard skip the sat phones.  I bought a state of the art Iridium (which is for sale, just email me and we can discuss).  Drove me nuts.   Dropped calls, etc.  Costs a ton just to say goodnight to loved ones.  Buy a personal location device that if you are in real trouble send a signal to thru the US Air force to your loved ones who will confirm that you might be in that location and in trouble.  They will then send out bona fide rescue personnel that may save your life. Not some local sheriff who might dispatch a boat to go look for you after receiving a satellite phone call.  Do spend the additional money and try to operate on local cell phone service.  All over the Caribbean we could connect with an island cell company way out to sea.

True story; two years ago I had a ACR spot device that floated and could be worn on one’s belt.  Off Barbuda one night late attempting to board a beached dinghy in big waves somehow I lost the device.  Noticed it was gone once back on board the boat.  The next morning we scouted the coastline beach and ‘no rescue device’.  About 3 months later my contact in the states got a call that I was in trouble.  She said he’s safe back home.  I called the Air Force in Colorado and talked with the representative.  In the discussion the story unfolded.  She told me the device signal that they picked up was 18 NM north of St. Martin.  That was about 75 miles from the coastline of Barbuda.  The device had apparently drifted that far over the many days and then the seal had leaked and set off the alarm.  Had I released the beacon antennal that night I would probably have been picked up by the Antigua coast guard.   NOTE; I had emailed the USAF from Antigua and attempted to notify that my device # was lost and I was safe.  That apparently fell thru a crack of the system.

[...]

Mark Erdos

Just as an added FYI- a Google Number is free and works like Skype without the video aspect. You can call and text when a Wi-Fi connection is available. In addition, if someone calls your Google number, it will ring multiple phones you program into your account. (i.e. home, cell, office etc. will all ring at once)

Best regards,

Mark

SM2K #275

www.creampuff.us

[...]

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Try an SSB with sail mail. Cheap, world wide coverage. When in port or near land (in range of a cellphone signal) a cellphone network  dongle plugged into your laptop gives full internet coverage at a reasonable cost.
Cheers
Danny
SM 299 Ocean Pearl
Mangonui
New Zealand

[...]

Bill, Turns out we already had a Sykpe acc. set up about 8 years ago to speak with a friend/sailor in England. It worked then but not well, however we were on a dial up internet connection. Sykpe has probably made improvement also since then. We are going to get a number soon, when we do maybe we can Skype you, since we do not know anyone with sykpe. Diane showed me your new house, it looks really nice. I assume it must have been damaged by the hurricane and remodeled, very close to the coast, nice!   Pat

[...]

Annsofie, I tried to goggle Cruiser WiFi , but coud not find it. What is the service provided ? Do you have a link to it?  Thanks ,Pat

[...]

OK , I think we need to explain more thouroughly.

Skype is a software for communication with voice, video or text and it works all over the world as long as you are connected to the internet.
You don't need to get a Skype number and you don't need to pay anything for the service as long as the reciever recieve the call through Skype. If you want to call a normal landline phone or mobile phone you have to put money on an account with Skype.
To get internet access you can connect through a wifi net that someone provide for free or for a charge. If they charge you can buy the access on the connection site when you are in the area.

A hotspot is the same as a wifi provider.

You can also get internet connection through the 3G net (mobile phones) but then you have to buy a SIM card with internet access (and talk). In the Caribbean you have to buy a new card for every country/island. Or you can use your mobile card from the States, but then you have to pay roaming fees which can be VERY expensive.

Or you can connect through a satellite but that is expensive when you use the internet on it. On the other hand it is probably cheaper calls than with your phone. But using Skype over the satellits internet connection will be expensive.

Hope this made things a bit clearer. If not come back again and I will try to explain again

/Annsofie
S/Y Lady Annila
SM232

Skickat från min iPad