[Amel Yacht Owners] RE: Maramu main furler stripped gear

Bob Sarff <bob.sarff@...>

I also was not able to find it on or around August 12-13.

It is the bronze gear at the bottom of the main sail furling tube that connects with the shaft coming from the motor.  This is not for the boom out haul but rather for the mast furler.  I haven't figured out yet what caused the teeth to strip out but hopefully it's not a bearing on the top of the mast.

If anyone has had this prpblem, please let me know what you did to solve it.

Thanks, Bob
SV Chara

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 6:47 AM, <sangaris@...> wrote:

Trevor,

I didn't find anything on this subject from Aug 12 or 13 of last year.  Do you have a message number by chance or another way to find it?
Bob,
Is it the reduction gear with which you are having trouble - if so, check message 12899.
Regards,
Craig - Sangaris SN#68

Svcheevhako <svcheechako@...>

Hello bob

I was unable to find a spare gear for my maramu so I had a spare shaft and gear built. Fortunately I have not yet needed it

I have over the years replaced the bearings on my furlers and while not a easy job it is not too bad and bearings and seals are available.

I have drawings and part numbers for the mechanism but do not have the information for the gear and shaft.

Let me know and I will get you what I have

S/y. Different drummer

Dennis stuller

On Feb 19, 2014, at 8:21 PM, Bob Sarff <bob.sarff@...> wrote:

[...]

seafeverofcuan@...

Sorry Bob,
              I now understand what you mean and as I dismantled that gear last year  I can see why you are bewildered.
You would think that it could only strip if there had bee too much pressure when furling the main.
If it's any help the mast head bearing is part of the mainsail foil and can not be extracted unless the mast is stepped.
Trevor
Seafever
SM425
Ireland

Svcheevhako <svcheechako@...>

Hello bob

It was a job but it is possible to rebuild the furling system without stepping the mast. The only part which is inaccessible is the swivel

Different drummer

Bob Sarff <bob.sarff@...>

Thanks Dennis.  I rebuilt my gear box and have the bearing and seal info.  I just didn"t think about getting a spare at the time.  Thanks again for getting back to me.

Bob