From: INUS - BUSCH
To: amelyachtowners
Sent: Sat, Mar 8, 2014 12:42 pm
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Mast Colour

Hello,

apart from painting the mast:

I noticed that on some places the original painting of the mast is lifted around rivets and other metallic parts due to corrosion.

Is it correct to remove the metallic parts there, sand the aluminium thoroughly and fill-up the missing aluminium with epoxy prior to painting? Or what should be done instead?

Any recommendations very appreciated

Dieter
„Fal-lera“ Sharki 135

INUS - BUSCH

Hello Pat,

how deep the corrosion holes are I will see after sanding, but the bondo type of filler sounds good. What is it, do you have a specification? And I am interested in the steps about roll and tip.
Thanks

Dieter
"Fal-lera" Sharki 135

Patrick McAneny

Dieter,  I used awlgrip and if do you also, contact a awlgrip dealer tell them you want to roll and tip your mast . You use different reducers for brushing opposed to spraying. Depending on the temperature there is also retarders to be added to slow the paint from kicking. The dealer should be able to provide you with the ratios of paint to catalyst reducers etc. You do not want to paint early in the morning ,you want the mast to warm a bit and all dew gone. You also want to finish your painting a few hours before dusk , if damp air settle on the mast it will dull the finish and will require another coat. You also want a day when the humidity is fairly low. After sanding the corrosion I used a acid to further clean out corrosion that you can not sand out of pores and then neutralize the acid , dry and then apply sealer/primer. The paint on 99.9 % of your mast is probably fine and sound ,those surfaces should be first washed well and the lightly sanded with 320 grit. you can use a orbital sander on the flat sides, but need to have a easy touch ,its safer to hand sand and not hard sanding. Once all that is done wash the mast again, the next day when dry wipe the mast down with awlgrip cleaner and your ready for paint. You can only paint one side at a time, the furler slot provides one break, on the front of the mast down the center you want to apply a fine line tape, the dealer can provide it, buy the best ,finest tape they have. Make sure to push the tape edge tight to your mast, the paint is very thin and will flow under the tape if not applied well. Carefully tape everything else not to be painted. You will use a small  roller I think 4 inches and a foam brush or a high quality brush , I used foam and when then got loaded up I used a new one. Start at the top to gain experience , one person rolls the paint on with the other person right behind them lightly tipping the paint with a brush. The brush floats lightly across paint just to remove to bubbles , the paint will flow out to a smooth finish. do not apply too much paint. I would roll and tip from the furler to the tape on the front of mast that way you have a start and finish point of only about 12 inches. The roller should not get more than a minute ahead of the tipper, the paint set up quick. look back often look for runs, its very thin paint, try to tip out any runs asap, after 5 minutes or so it may be too late to tip out runs without messing up the paint with brush marks that will not flow out. Once you start to paint continue until you are done always keep a wet edge. Be careful not to apply too much paint around object protruding from the mast its easy to get too much paint on those areas and all looks good and then a couple minutes later you will see runs . This is not as hard as it sounds and the finish should come out beautiful, the painting only take about an hour or so. Let the paint harden overnight, lightly sand, clean and apply second coat, two coats should do it . Roll mast over take tape off front off mast, apply new tape on very edge of new paint. Since all prep is done wipe mast off and paint the second side.
                                                                                                                                                                 Good Luck , Pat SM Shenanigans

how deep the corrosion holes are I will see after sanding, but the bondo type of filler sounds good. What is it, do you have a specification? And I am interested in the steps about roll and tip.
Thanks

Dieter
"Fal-lera" Sharki 135

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Pat,

Thanks, very good and very complete!

Bill
BeBe #387
BTW, since we are hull #387, I am not going to specify SM2k anymore...because no other model has gone that high in numbers and probably no other model will...just saying...

From: INUS - BUSCH
To: amelyachtowners Sent: Mon, Mar 10, 2014 12:55 pm

Hello Pat,

it looks so complete that I think it should be possible for me, many thanks. Could you pls give me
a hint what sort of "bondo type of filler" that you mentioned should I use?

Dieter
"Fal-lera" Sharki 135

Questa e-mail è priva di virus e malware perché è attiva la protezione avast! Antivirus .