[Amel Yacht Owners] Bimini Frame

karkauai

I think I'll modify mine when the current canvas is shot.  Was thinking of telescoping side supports that would lengthen to put up and shorten to fold flat.  Any other ideas?
I don't have much room below the boom to raise the canvas.
Kent
SM243
Kristy
Brunswick GA USA

On Mar 12, 2014, at 3:17 PM, <sailw32@...> wrote:

Most of the photos of Super Maramus I have seen have a cockpit frame that angles up much more than my 1994 SM . My frame folds down very nicely , and I like be able to fold it down. We are having a new Bimini made this spring and we would like more headroom. My question , did Amel change the frame design or has all those Amel owner's lengthened / modified their frames ? Secondly , can those frames fold down ? I prefer the way mine looks, lower and sleeker , but the added headroom would be nice.

Thanks , Pat SM #123

Eric Freedman

When I had my bimini replaced, I had them add zippers to the underside of it in the pockets for the frames..

That makes removal and replacement a snap.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite SM 376

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...] On Behalf Of Kent Robertson
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 3:49 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bimini Frame

I think I'll modify mine when the current canvas is shot.  Was thinking of telescoping side supports that would lengthen to put up and shorten to fold flat.  Any other ideas?

Kent

SM243

Kristy

Brunswick GA USA

Most of the photos of Super Maramus I have seen have a cockpit frame that angles up much more than my 1994 SM . My frame folds down very nicely , and I like be able to fold it down. We are having a new Bimini made this spring and we would like more headroom. My question , did Amel change the frame design or has all those Amel owner's lengthened / modified their frames ? Secondly , can those frames fold down ? I prefer the way mine looks, lower and sleeker , but the added headroom would be nice.

Thanks , Pat SM #123

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Yes, I think it was changed, possibly with SM2000, but do not have any details.

Bill
BeBe 387

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 12:35 AM, sailormon <kimberlite@...> wrote:

When I had my bimini replaced, I had them add zippers to the underside of it in the pockets for the frames..

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite SM 376

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...] On Behalf Of Kent Robertson

Kent

SM243

Kristy

Brunswick GA USA

Thanks , Pat SM #123

Patrick McAneny

Bill , I know from photos that your boat has the raised frame. Can it be folded down and stored on top up the hard dodger ? My present top can be neatly stored away, which I do often to increase visibility forward standing up , unlimited headroom and a view of the sky and sails.
                                                                                                                                                              Thanks, Pat

-----Original Message-----
To: amelyachtowners
Sent: Thu, Mar 13, 2014 2:19 am

Bill
BeBe 387

Fair Winds
Eric
Kimberlite SM 376

Kent
SM243
Kristy
Brunswick GA USA

Thanks , Pat SM #123

Anne and John Hollamby <annejohnholl@...>

Dear Eric,
I recall that many years ago Ian and Judy on Penazen posted pics and details of what seemed to me to be excellent improvements to the Canvas dodger. They had made them to increase the headroom as he is over six feet tall and to make it possible to sit on the front of the aft cabintop and still see forward. When we met he told me that they had lengthened the forward frame by 10cms and the other two by 15cms.
This made the front section vertical and this was almost entirely clear plastic so that they could see the horizon and also the trim of the genny . I do not recall whether they had put a small window in the canvas so that they could see the trim of the main. I think that the dodger was longer so that it could be secured to the mizzen shrouds. I am pretty sure that it could still be folded forward when necessary.

Best wishes,    Anne and John

Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2014 1:35 AM
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bimini Frame

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite SM 376

I think I'll modify mine when the current canvas is shot.  Was thinking of telescoping side supports that would lengthen to put up and shorten to fold flat.  Any other ideas?

Kent

SM243

Kristy

Brunswick GA USA

Most of the photos of Super Maramus I have seen have a cockpit frame that angles up much more than my 1994 SM . My frame folds down very nicely , and I like be able to fold it down. We are having a new Bimini made this spring and we would like more headroom. My question , did Amel change the frame design or has all those Amel owner's lengthened / modified their frames ? Secondly , can those frames fold down ? I prefer the way mine looks, lower and sleeker , but the added headroom would be nice.

Thanks , Pat SM #123

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Pat, yes it folds away and is stored in a slot in the hard dodger. It has a vinyl cover that goes over the stored top. I always put the top down while docking and most of my docking is in reverse.

Bill
BeBe 387

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 11:31 AM, Patrick Mcaneny <sailw32@...> wrote:

Bill , I know from photos that your boat has the raised frame. Can it be folded down and stored on top up the hard dodger ? My present top can be neatly stored away, which I do often to increase visibility forward standing up , unlimited headroom and a view of the sky and sails.
                                                                                                                                                              Thanks, Pat

To: amelyachtowners <amelyachtowners@...>

Bill
BeBe 387

Fair Winds
Eric
Kimberlite SM 376

Kent
SM243
Kristy
Brunswick GA USA

Thanks , Pat SM #123

Patrick McAneny

Bill , That's great to know, I would not want to lose the option  to fold it down. I will no doubt extend the frame and relocate the mounting points. I may ask you for a few measurements if I cannot find them.  Thanks Pat

Sent: Thu, Mar 13, 2014 10:05 am

Pat, yes it folds away and is stored in a slot in the hard dodger. It has a vinyl cover that goes over the stored top. I always put the top down while docking and most of my docking is in reverse.

Bill
BeBe 387

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 11:31 AM, Patrick Mcaneny <sailw32@...> wrote:

Thanks, Pat

Bill
BeBe 387

Fair Winds
Eric
Kimberlite SM 376

Kent
SM243
Kristy
Brunswick GA USA

Thanks , Pat SM #123

Eric Freedman

John,

Ian Judy and I are good friends.

We have met a number of times here and there. I don’t recall whether I saw the bimini or he sent me photos of the bimini however it was quite nice.

Roberto says hi.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite SM 376

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...] On Behalf Of Anne and John Hollamby
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2014 7:45 AM

Dear Eric,

I recall that many years ago Ian and Judy on Penazen posted pics and details of what seemed to me to be excellent improvements to the Canvas dodger. They had made them to increase the headroom as he is over six feet tall and to make it possible to sit on the front of the aft cabintop and still see forward. When we met he told me that they had lengthened the forward frame by 10cms and the other two by 15cms.

This made the front section vertical and this was almost entirely clear plastic so that they could see the horizon and also the trim of the genny . I do not recall whether they had put a small window in the canvas so that they could see the trim of the main. I think that the dodger was longer so that it could be secured to the mizzen shrouds. I am pretty sure that it could still be folded forward when necessary.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite SM 376

I think I'll modify mine when the current canvas is shot.  Was thinking of telescoping side supports that would lengthen to put up and shorten to fold flat.  Any other ideas?

Kent

SM243

Kristy

Brunswick GA USA

Most of the photos of Super Maramus I have seen have a cockpit frame that angles up much more than my 1994 SM . My frame folds down very nicely , and I like be able to fold it down. We are having a new Bimini made this spring and we would like more headroom. My question , did Amel change the frame design or has all those Amel owner's lengthened / modified their frames ? Secondly , can those frames fold down ? I prefer the way mine looks, lower and sleeker , but the added headroom would be nice.

Thanks , Pat SM #123

john martin <symoondog@...>

I followed Ian's plan with just  a few changes. It has made sailing and docking an Amel a new experience. We put a zippered glass across most of the forward part so it can be dropped down when docking, or when just enjoying the view while sailing in harbors and narrow channels. The dodger is the same length as the old. The only change is the height, plus the boat looks better from the side as the front of the dodger doesn't slant down like the old one did. My wife and I can both look around through the same window. I have my hands on the wheel, standing up straight and looking all around. It is the best thing I have ever done to improve the Amel. Thank you Ian...John  " Moon Dog" SM248

Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 12:44:56 +0100

Dear Eric,

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite SM 376

Kent

SM243

Kristy

Brunswick GA USA

Thanks , Pat SM #123

Patrick McAneny

John, Are there photos where I might see what Ian or what you did. I am planning to modify my frame this spring and am looking for designs. Thanks, Pat

Sent: Fri, Mar 14, 2014 10:35 am

I followed Ian's plan with just  a few changes. It has made sailing and docking an Amel a new experience. We put a zippered glass across most of the forward part so it can be dropped down when docking, or when just enjoying the view while sailing in harbors and narrow channels. The dodger is the same length as the old. The only change is the height, plus the boat looks better from the side as the front of the dodger doesn't slant down like the old one did. My wife and I can both look around through the same window. I have my hands on the wheel, standing up straight and looking all around. It is the best thing I have ever done to improve the Amel. Thank you Ian...John  " Moon Dog" SM248

Dear Eric,

Fair Winds
Eric
Kimberlite SM 376

Kent
SM243
Kristy
Brunswick GA USA

Thanks , Pat SM #123

Anne and John Hollamby <annejohnholl@...>

Hello Patrick,
Sorry, I have no photos because I have not got around to making the improvement as I had just got a new cover which is still good. I recall Ian giving details and pics about 8-10 years ago. You might find them if you go through the site starting from the beginning or perhaps John Martin can help. It looks as if his solution is a Mk 2 version.

Good hunting,    Anne and John,  Bali Hai, SM319, Malta

Sent: Friday, March 14, 2014 4:18 PM

John, Are there photos where I might see what Ian or what you did. I am planning to modify my frame this spring and am looking for designs. Thanks, Pat

I followed Ian's plan with just  a few changes. It has made sailing and docking an Amel a new experience. We put a zippered glass across most of the forward part so it can be dropped down when docking, or when just enjoying the view while sailing in harbors and narrow channels. The dodger is the same length as the old. The only change is the height, plus the boat looks better from the side as the front of the dodger doesn't slant down like the old one did. My wife and I can both look around through the same window. I have my hands on the wheel, standing up straight and looking all around. It is the best thing I have ever done to improve the Amel. Thank you Ian...John  " Moon Dog" SM248

Dear Eric,

Fair Winds
Eric
Kimberlite SM 376
From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...?] On Behalf Of Kent Robertson
Kent
SM243
Kristy
Brunswick GA USA

Thanks , Pat SM #123

karkauai

How do you lengthen the supports and still have it fold neatly over Dodger?  Relocate the holes where the supports attach to the dodger, or make telescoping supports?  ...or something else???
Kent
SM243
Kristy

On Mar 14, 2014, at 11:18 AM, Patrick Mcaneny <sailw32@...> wrote:

Dear Eric,

Fair Winds
Eric
Kimberlite SM 376

Kent
SM243
Kristy
Brunswick GA USA

Thanks , Pat SM #123

ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@hotmail.com>

Hi John,    We delayed buying our SM for a couple of years because we thought the bimini was awful, particularly compared to that of the Maramu and Sharki which we had owned. With the latter two, and the Mango, Amel had built wonderful hard topped dodgers which you could stand under ( indeed, you could also stand on top of them ). I am 6 ft ( 183 cm ) plus I wear shoes.
 What annoyed me was there was about 6 inches clearance between to top of the bimini and the mainsheet and I could not understand why Amel didn't take the bimini up as high as it could go. Plus, I couldn't see ahead while at the wheel without cricking my neck, plus I had to demount to bimini when manoevering in dock, plus I could  not see the sails properly to sail, plus I couldn't stand up straight in the cockpit--I could go on!
 Amel sort of conceded that there was a problem when they extended the height of the bimini for the 2000 series but in truth it was a pretty halfhearted effort.
 Needless to say, my suggested modifications fell on deaf ears in La Rochelle but we bought Pen Azen anyway as I was convinced that the bimini could easily be improved upon--and so it proved.
 We did wait awhile but eventually ended up in Brazil with time on our hands and I went to work--it was SO easy. I took the existing three stainless hoops ( Pen Azen is a 2000, SM 302) and had them extended by ( I think) 10cm for the aft two and 15cm for the forward one. You can work out the exact measurements for yourself by taking the measurements to just below the main sheet.
 A welder added the necessary extensions and finished the job so well that you cannot see the joints. We then found a canvas man ( not easily found in Brazil where motor boats outnumber yachts by about 100 to one ) and he made a bimini out of Subrella, the heavy duty version with an impervious interior side .
We used the existing  aluminium tube attachment for the  forward part of the bimini .
We chose the angles for the hoops by trial and error--the forward one is pretty vertical.
 We put a full length clear vinyl window right across the front. The zip is at the top of the vinyl so when unzipped the vinyl tucks away neatly under the existing cover and I can stand at the wheel with my head straight out of the window, so to speak, with perfect visibility for manoevering in dock.
We never need to fold the bimini down  while the boat is in commission
 We have wonderful ventilation in the cockpit when required.
 We can sit on the aft deck with clear visibility ahead.
 We have larger side vinyl windows.
 We extended the drop curtain at the aft of the bimini to meet the new height. 
 We added a stainless steel ring to the top of the pin that secures the mizzen boom to the mast ( there is already one on the bottom of the pin ) and we fitted a stainless pipe from one mizzen shroud to the other side via the new stainless ring--this allow us to attach the bimini extension at the same height as the new bimini and means that I can stand up anywhere in the cockpit.
 The only adjustment we had to make was this---when the main is rolled away the mainsheet just touches the top of the new bimini and would chafe, but we take a simple webbing strap with clips and tighten the mainsheet up to the underside of the main boom, out of the way. As soon as you unroll even half the mainsail the boom is lifted and the mainsheet stands well clear of the bimini, even when the main is sheeted hard to the centre of the track.
 When we leave the boat for any length of time we unzip the bimini ( takes about 5 minutes) and leave it down below. The new hoops still fold away. We then fit a  tonneau cover over the cockpit using the existing attachment eyes.

Of all the things we have done to Pen Azen this is, by a country mile, the most rewarding. It transforms your enjoyment of the cockpit. It looks great. It's inexpensive and you get a hell of a bang for your buck.

I did post some photos on the "old" website. I have only today tried the new photo section--what a nightmare ! I haven't been able to find them, but they may be there somewhere.
We won't be back onboard until mid April, otherwise I would send you some fresh ones.

Fair winds,

Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Ragusa, Sicily.

Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 11:18:02 -0400

Dear Eric,

Fair Winds
Eric
Kimberlite SM 376

Kent
SM243
Kristy
Brunswick GA USA

Thanks , Pat SM #123

Richard03801 <richard03801@...>

Hi all when we got our SM 209 we added 13" to each of the supports then had a new cockpit Cover made that included a large clear panel so we could see the sails set and didn't have to fold up for docking or stand up visibility. We also had a cover made for hot sunny days in port. the top cleared the main sheet. So no issues there. At the back side we had roll up half clear half
Sunbrella. These have a center section that is a roll up door. Effectively we have a pilot house in rain or cold weather. 
Glad to have on ocean crossings and cooler/cold weather. On hot days it's a sun shade. 

Regards 
Richard Piller

Cell 603 767 5330

On Mar 14, 2014, at 15:22, Ian & Judy <ianjudyjenkins@...> wrote:

Hi John,    We delayed buying our SM for a couple of years because we thought the bimini was awful, particularly compared to that of the Maramu and Sharki which we had owned. With the latter two, and the Mango, Amel had built wonderful hard topped dodgers which you could stand under ( indeed, you could also stand on top of them ). I am 6 ft ( 183 cm ) plus I wear shoes.
 What annoyed me was there was about 6 inches clearance between to top of the bimini and the mainsheet and I could not understand why Amel didn't take the bimini up as high as it could go. Plus, I couldn't see ahead while at the wheel without cricking my neck, plus I had to demount to bimini when manoevering in dock, plus I could  not see the sails properly to sail, plus I couldn't stand up straight in the cockpit--I could go on!
 Amel sort of conceded that there was a problem when they extended the height of the bimini for the 2000 series but in truth it was a pretty halfhearted effort.
 Needless to say, my suggested modifications fell on deaf ears in La Rochelle but we bought Pen Azen anyway as I was convinced that the bimini could easily be improved upon--and so it proved.
 We did wait awhile but eventually ended up in Brazil with time on our hands and I went to work--it was SO easy. I took the existing three stainless hoops ( Pen Azen is a 2000, SM 302) and had them extended by ( I think) 10cm for the aft two and 15cm for the forward one. You can work out the exact measurements for yourself by taking the measurements to just below the main sheet.
 A welder added the necessary extensions and finished the job so well that you cannot see the joints. We then found a canvas man ( not easily found in Brazil where motor boats outnumber yachts by about 100 to one ) and he made a bimini out of Subrella, the heavy duty version with an impervious interior side .
We used the existing  aluminium tube attachment for the  forward part of the bimini .
We chose the angles for the hoops by trial and error--the forward one is pretty vertical.
 We put a full length clear vinyl window right across the front. The zip is at the top of the vinyl so when unzipped the vinyl tucks away neatly under the existing cover and I can stand at the wheel with my head straight out of the window, so to speak, with perfect visibility for manoevering in dock.
 We added a stainless steel ring to the top of the pin that secures the mizzen boom to the mast ( there is already one on the bottom of the pin ) and we fitted a stainless pipe from one mizzen shroud to the other side via the new stainless ring--this allow us to attach the bimini extension at the same height as the new bimini and means that I can stand up anywhere in the cockpit.
 The only adjustment we had to make was this---when the main is rolled away the mainsheet just touches the top of the new bimini and would chafe, but we take a simple webbing strap with clips and tighten the mainsheet up to the underside of the main boom, out of the way. As soon as you unroll even half the mainsail the boom is lifted and the mainsheet stands well clear of the bimini, even when the main is sheeted hard to the centre of the track.
 When we leave the boat for any length of time we unzip the bimini ( takes about 5 minutes) and leave it down below. The new hoops still fold away. We then fit a  tonneau cover over the cockpit using the existing attachment eyes.

Of all the things we have done to Pen Azen this is, by a country mile, the most rewarding. It transforms your enjoyment of the cockpit. It looks great. It's inexpensive and you get a hell of a bang for your buck.

I did post some photos on the "old" website. I have only today tried the new photo section--what a nightmare ! I haven't been able to find them, but they may be there somewhere.
We won't be back onboard until mid April, otherwise I would send you some fresh ones.

Fair winds,

Dear Eric,

Fair Winds
Eric
Kimberlite SM 376

Kent
SM243
Kristy
Brunswick GA USA

Thanks , Pat SM #123

Patrick McAneny

Ian, When you can, could you post a few pics of your bimini . It would be of interest to me and anyone else that may be considering a redesign of their top. Thanks , Pat SM #123

Sent: Fri, Mar 14, 2014 3:22 pm

We used the e xisting  aluminium tube attachment for the  forward part of the bimini .
 We added a stainless steel ring to the top of the pin that secures the mizzen boom to th e mast ( there is already one on the bottom of the pin ) and we fitted a stainless pipe from one mizzen shroud to the other side via the new stainless ring--this allow us to attach the bimini extension at the same height as the new bimini and means that I can stand up anywhere in the cockpit.
 When we leave the boat for any length of time we unzip the bimini ( takes about 5 minutes) and leave it down below. The new hoops still fold away. We then fit a  tonneau cover over the cockpit using the existi ng attachment eyes.

Fair winds,

Dear Eric,

Fair Winds
Eric
Kimberlite SM 376

Kent
SM243
Kristy
Brunswick GA USA

Thanks , Pat SM #123

Pat, will do, may not be till last week of April or so. Ian

Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2014 07:21:12 -0400

Ian, When you can, could you post a few pics of your bimini . It would be of interest to me and anyone else that may be considering a redesign of their top. Thanks , Pat SM #123

Sent: Fri, Mar 14, 2014 3:22 pm

We used the e xisting  aluminium tube attachment for the  forward part of the bimini .
 We added a stainless steel ring to the top of the pin that secures the mizzen boom to th e mast ( there is already one on the bottom of the pin ) and we fitted a stainless pipe from one mizzen shroud to the other side via the new stainless ring--this allow us to attach the bimini extension at the same height as the new bimini and means that I can stand up anywhere in the cockpit.
 When we leave the boat for any length of time we unzip the bimini ( takes about 5 minutes) and leave it down below. The new hoops still fold away. We then fit a  tonneau cover over the cockpit using the existi ng attachment eyes.

Fair winds,

Dear Eric,

Fair Winds
Eric
Kimberlite SM 376

Kent
SM243
Kristy
Brunswick GA USA

Thanks , Pat SM #123

Paul Osterberg

Hello! Ian & Judy
I'm a new owner of an SM #259, and need a new Bimini and find your comments very interesting especially the:
- We never need to fold the bimini down  while the boat is in commission
- We have wonderful ventilation in the cockpit when required.
Do you have any photos to send or publish on the forum?
Anyone else who have good ideas on how to improve the Bimini are welcome to comment and send photos. One  often need an extension to the Bimini when sailing especially in Greece and Turkey as wind rather often very gentle and sun not very gentle at all.

Paul on SYKerpa SM #259

sykerpa@...

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Good morning Paul,

Congratulations on being the new owner of #259

I posted some picture of my biminis on
http://nikimat.com/bimini.html

In my opinion, the original Amel bimini is great for moderate cold climate. It protects well from the wind. Plus with side panel it really keeps the cockpit warm. Also great for spray in stronger seas.
There is even an extension that will fully cover the rest of the cockpit (but in my case won’t be able to use the mizzen).
I feel it is a little too hot in the summer and ned more ventilation (but I am in the Bahamas).

The previous owner of my vessel, added a second set to arch and a bimini with a space/gap above the dodger that provides great ventilation.
As you will see on the pictures he used the 2 added arch, plus the long one of the original Amel Bimini.
I like that solution. Also, being fairly tall it is easy for me to look through the space/gap to dock the boat.

Since that bimini was lost in Martinique, I quickly made a temporary one (only using the 2 added arch) to stil benefit of the gap and breeze and still have sunshade, then made an extension.
When I find a reliable company, I will make a similar bimini to the one made by the previous owner.
I will use the same material that Amel used, which is: double stamoid and have these heat sealed.

What I like on both (original Amel or previous owner added) bimini, is that they are so easy to fold (just move the boom).
at night, either sailing or having dinner, I like to see the open sky.

Hope that helps. But before you rush, wait to see what other Amel owner have come up with solution. They might have come with better solution.

Sincerely, Alexandre

--------------------------------------------

On Wed, 8/5/15, osterberg.paul.l@gmail.com [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wednesday, August 5, 2015, 11:12 AM

Hello! Ian &
Judy
I'm a new
owner of an SM #259, and need a new Bimini and find your
comments very interesting especially
the:-
We never need to fold the bimini down  while the boat is in
commission- We have
wonderful ventilation in the cockpit when
required.Do you have any
photos to send or publish on the forum?Anyone else who
have good ideas on how to improve the Bimini are welcome to
comment and send photos. One  often need an extension to
the Bimini when sailing especially in Greece and Turkey as
wind rather often very gentle and sun not very gentle at
all.
Paul on SYKerpa SM
sykerpa@gmail.com

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407 --
#yiv7054906407ygrp-mkp {
border:1px solid #d8d8d8;font-family:Arial;margin:10px
0;padding:0 10px;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407ygrp-mkp hr {
border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407ygrp-mkp #yiv7054906407hd {
color:#628c2a;font-size:85%;font-weight:700;line-height:122%;margin:10px
0;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407ygrp-mkp #yiv7054906407ads {
margin-bottom:10px;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407ygrp-mkp .yiv7054906407ad {
padding:0 0;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407ygrp-mkp .yiv7054906407ad p {
margin:0;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407ygrp-mkp .yiv7054906407ad a {
color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407ygrp-sponsor
#yiv7054906407ygrp-lc {
font-family:Arial;}

#yiv7054906407ygrp-lc #yiv7054906407hd {
margin:10px
0px;font-weight:700;font-size:78%;line-height:122%;}

#yiv7054906407ygrp-lc .yiv7054906407ad {
margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407actions {
font-family:Verdana;font-size:11px;padding:10px 0;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407activity {
background-color:#e0ecee;float:left;font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;padding:10px;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407activity span {
font-weight:700;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407activity span:first-child {
text-transform:uppercase;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407activity span a {
color:#5085b6;text-decoration:none;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407activity span span {
color:#ff7900;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407activity span
.yiv7054906407underline {
text-decoration:underline;}

#yiv7054906407 .yiv7054906407attach {
clear:both;display:table;font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;padding:10px
0;width:400px;}

#yiv7054906407 .yiv7054906407attach div a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv7054906407 .yiv7054906407attach img {
border:none;padding-right:5px;}

#yiv7054906407 .yiv7054906407attach label {
display:block;margin-bottom:5px;}

#yiv7054906407 .yiv7054906407attach label a {

#yiv7054906407 blockquote {
margin:0 0 0 4px;}

#yiv7054906407 .yiv7054906407bold {
font-family:Arial;font-size:13px;font-weight:700;}

#yiv7054906407 .yiv7054906407bold a {

#yiv7054906407 dd.yiv7054906407last p a {
font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}

#yiv7054906407 dd.yiv7054906407last p span {
margin-right:10px;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}

#yiv7054906407 dd.yiv7054906407last p
span.yiv7054906407yshortcuts {
margin-right:0;}

#yiv7054906407 div.yiv7054906407attach-table div div a {

#yiv7054906407 div.yiv7054906407attach-table {
width:400px;}

#yiv7054906407 div.yiv7054906407file-title a, #yiv7054906407
div.yiv7054906407file-title a:active, #yiv7054906407
div.yiv7054906407file-title a:hover, #yiv7054906407
div.yiv7054906407file-title a:visited {

#yiv7054906407 div.yiv7054906407photo-title a,
#yiv7054906407 div.yiv7054906407photo-title a:active,
#yiv7054906407 div.yiv7054906407photo-title a:hover,
#yiv7054906407 div.yiv7054906407photo-title a:visited {

#yiv7054906407 div#yiv7054906407ygrp-mlmsg
#yiv7054906407ygrp-msg p a span.yiv7054906407yshortcuts {
font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;font-weight:normal;}

#yiv7054906407 .yiv7054906407green {
color:#628c2a;}

#yiv7054906407 .yiv7054906407MsoNormal {
margin:0 0 0 0;}

#yiv7054906407 o {
font-size:0;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407photos div {
float:left;width:72px;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407photos div div {
border:1px solid
#666666;height:62px;overflow:hidden;width:62px;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407photos div label {
color:#666666;font-size:10px;overflow:hidden;text-align:center;white-space:nowrap;width:64px;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407reco-category {
font-size:77%;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407reco-desc {

#yiv7054906407 .yiv7054906407replbq {
margin:4px;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407ygrp-actbar div a:first-child {
margin-right:2px;padding-right:5px;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407ygrp-mlmsg {
font-size:13px;font-family:Arial, helvetica, clean,
sans-serif;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407ygrp-mlmsg table {
font-size:inherit;font:100%;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407ygrp-mlmsg select,
#yiv7054906407 input, #yiv7054906407 textarea {
font:99% Arial, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407ygrp-mlmsg pre, #yiv7054906407
code {
font:115% monospace;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407ygrp-mlmsg * {
line-height:1.22em;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407ygrp-mlmsg #yiv7054906407logo {
padding-bottom:10px;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407ygrp-msg p a {
font-family:Verdana;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407ygrp-msg
p#yiv7054906407attach-count span {
color:#1E66AE;font-weight:700;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407ygrp-reco
#yiv7054906407reco-head {
color:#ff7900;font-weight:700;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407ygrp-reco {
margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407ygrp-sponsor #yiv7054906407ov
li a {
font-size:130%;text-decoration:none;}

li {
font-size:77%;list-style-type:square;padding:6px 0;}

ul {
margin:0;padding:0 0 0 8px;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407ygrp-text {
font-family:Georgia;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407ygrp-text p {
margin:0 0 1em 0;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407ygrp-text tt {
font-size:120%;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407ygrp-vital ul li:last-child {
border-right:none !important;
}
#yiv7054906407

Hi Paul,

Yes, there are some photos of our bimini somewhere on the Amel owners photo section--try searching under Pen Azen.
 We, too, never sail anywhere  with the bimini down. If I won the jackpot I would have a very elegant version made in carbon fibre.

What prompted us to amend the standard version is that I am 6ft, quite an ordinary height these days, and I got fed up with not being able to stand upright under the standard SM bimini--in contrast to the hard dodgers on our previous, smaller, Amels, a  Sharki and a Maramu which had better clearance. I also missed being able to see my sails !

I noticed that there were several inches between the top of the standard bimini and the main sheet when at rest. This gap immediately increases when you pull the mainsail out.

So, when we were in Brasil we had the three stainless hoops lengthened by ( from memory) 10cm, 10cm and 15cm ( the 15cm being the forward hoop ).

We then had a bimini built in Subrella where the dimensions were
1. From the forward end of the shackle on the mizzen (to which is normally attached the tensioner for the bimini ) to the centre of the aft hoop     68cm
2. From the centre of the aft hoop to the centre of the middle hoop    70cm
3. From the centre of the middle hoop to the centre of the forward hoop    36 cm
4. From the centre of the forward hoop to the aluminium track holding the bolt rope of the bimini    57 cm

Once you have had the hoops lengthened ( and I recommend that you make your own measurements as my memory on the 10, 10 and 15 cm may be faulty ) you should set them up and tie string between them following the measurements that I have set out and make sure that you are satisfied before allowing the bimini maker to take a template. ( NB Pen Azen is an SM 2000; I think earlier models may have lower hoops )

It is very important that the maker understands that the pockets ( which we have zipped) should place the hoops in the right position. This is particularly true of the forward hoop, so that you get the right tension for the window.

The window : we have one long window about 26 cm deep at its central point ( I am not on board but can check in September ). It has a zip on the top  side which is covered on the outside  by a flap of Subrella. 
 Depending on the amount of air you need you can open part of the zip--very useful if it's raining and you want a clear view forward.
 If you unzip the whole way then you just roll up the window and the existing Amel bimini cover keeps if neatly rolled away.
 I would not use anything but the best vinyl for this window as it will be rolled and unrolled all the time. We use O'Sea Polished 40 Grade which costs about $180 for a piece 54 inches by 110 inches. I think it may also be called Strataglass. 
 The first time you roll the window you will be very nervous of scratching it with the zip or putting a permanent dent in it , as it is very stiff to begin with. Never fear, the best vinyl is built for such use.

Take care with the corners of the window--don't make them too acute as the zips ( you will need two zip pulls) will not take kindly to too tight a corner.

It pays to have the bimini made by someone who knows their stuff. ( Confession time: Don't use the very sweet Mom and Pop firm we used in Gouvia....)

You will also need larger side windows. Use the same vinyl. We got all three windows out of one sheet.

We also have a bimini extension which attaches to a zip on the aft of the main bimini and then to horizontal poles between the mizzen shrouds and the back of the mizzen. You will find a stainless ring on the underside of the mizzen boom where Amel normally fit the poles for their winter cover and bimini extension ( the two poles meet at that point and one slots into the other ).
That point is too low for us, so we had a ring welded on the top of the bolt, so that the poles meet there and give us an extra 6 inches or so headroom under the aft bimini.

The only change we had to make was that at rest, with the boom amidships, the main sheet only just clears the bimini and can chafe if the boat is rocking. Moving the boom a short way to starboard fixes this, though we just use a simple sail tie with plastic snaps which fits round the boom to keep the mainsheet closer to the underside of the boom.

What do you end up with ?

1. You can stand up under your bimini
2. You have an infinitely better view ahead--you can see your sails without a crick in your neck
3. You can roll away the window for great ventilation and once rolled away you can stand at the wheel with your head out of the window--great for steering in a marina etc
4. You can sit on the aft deck and see clear ahead
5. With the bimini off, the stainless hoops still fold away into the trough on the hard dodger
6. When you extend the hoops, have a small piece of stainless welded across the corners ( about an inch). This allows you to tension the zip pockets laterally with cord if you add an eye to the outer end of the zip  pocket.  Much more important ,for matrimonial harmony,  this provides a good hoop for your wife's washing line which  can then criss cross your cockpit when it's raining.

Just don't tell Monsieur Amel..........

Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Preveza, Greece

Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 09:12:55 -0700

Hello! Ian & Judy
I'm a new owner of an SM #259, and need a new Bimini and find your comments very interesting especially the:
- We never need to fold the bimini down  while the boat is in commission
- We have wonderful ventilation in the cockpit when required.
Do you have any photos to send or publish on the forum?
Anyone else who have good ideas on how to improve the Bimini are welcome to comment and send photos. One  often need an extension to the Bimini when sailing especially in Greece and Turkey as wind rather often very gentle and sun not very gentle at all.

Paul on SYKerpa SM #259

sykerpa@...

karkauai

Hi Alexandre,
I'm curious about the height of your boom over the cockpit.  I have to pull down on the frame for the original cockpit cover (not a true Bimini like your added one) to get it aft without scraping tightly against the boom.  I guess I could raise the boom some at the topping lift, but I don't think it would help my sail shape any when close hauled.

Could you measure the distance from the bottom of the end of the boom to the cockpit sole, both with the boom cinched down and with the sheet relaxed?

On my extension to the Amel cockpit cover, the aft end has grommets on both outboard sides that attach with lines to the  mizzen shrouds that are abeam of the mizzen mast.  On the inboard ends where it is cut to go around the mizzen are two more grommets.  I tie these together above the mizzen boom but below the tack of the sail.  That way I can keep the extension up while using the mizzen.  Because it sagged a lot with rain accumulation, I added two aluminum poles as stiffeners to the pocket in the aft seam and a grommet in the center of each side.  I run a line around the poles and through the grommet which ties off at the aft mizzen shrouds.  Now I can slide the lines up the shrouds for easier cockpit access, or to angle the aft ends down to reduce sun in the cockpit or give the extension enough shape to keep rain water from accumulating on top.
I'll add a pic or two to the photos section.

Thanks,
Kent
SM243
Kristy

On Aug 5, 2015, at 1:16 PM, Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Good morning Paul,

Congratulations on being the new owner of #259

I posted some picture of my biminis on
http://nikimat.com/bimini.html

In my opinion, the original Amel bimini is great for moderate cold climate. It protects well from the wind. Plus with side panel it really keeps the cockpit warm. Also great for spray in stronger seas.
There is even an extension that will fully cover the rest of the cockpit (but in my case won’t be able to use the mizzen).
I feel it is a little too hot in the summer and ned more ventilation (but I am in the Bahamas).

The previous owner of my vessel, added a second set to arch and a bimini with a space/gap above the dodger that provides great ventilation.
As you will see on the pictures he used the 2 added arch, plus the long one of the original Amel Bimini.
I like that solution. Also, being fairly tall it is easy for me to look through the space/gap to dock the boat.

Since that bimini was lost in Martinique, I quickly made a temporary one (only using the 2 added arch) to stil benefit of the gap and breeze and still have sunshade, then made an extension.
When I find a reliable company, I will make a similar bimini to the one made by the previous owner.
I will use the same material that Amel used, which is: double stamoid and have these heat sealed.

What I like on both (original Amel or previous owner added) bimini, is that they are so easy to fold (just move the boom).
at night, either sailing or having dinner, I like to see the open sky.

Hope that helps. But before you rush, wait to see what other Amel owner have come up with solution. They might have come with better solution.

Sincerely, Alexandre

--------------------------------------------
On Wed, 8/5/15, osterberg.paul.l@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Date: Wednesday, August 5, 2015, 11:12 AM

Hello! Ian &
Judy
I'm a new
owner of an SM #259, and need a new Bimini and find your
comments very interesting especially
the:-
We never need to fold the bimini down  while the boat is in
commission- We have
wonderful ventilation in the cockpit when
required.Do you have any
photos to send or publish on the forum?Anyone else who
have good ideas on how to improve the Bimini are welcome to
comment and send photos. One  often need an extension to
the Bimini when sailing especially in Greece and Turkey as
wind rather often very gentle and sun not very gentle at
all.
Paul on SYKerpa SM
sykerpa@...

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407 --
#yiv7054906407ygrp-mkp {
border:1px solid #d8d8d8;font-family:Arial;margin:10px
0;padding:0 10px;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407ygrp-mkp hr {
border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407ygrp-mkp #yiv7054906407hd {
color:#628c2a;font-size:85%;font-weight:700;line-height:122%;margin:10px
0;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407ygrp-mkp #yiv7054906407ads {
margin-bottom:10px;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407ygrp-mkp .yiv7054906407ad {
padding:0 0;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407ygrp-mkp .yiv7054906407ad p {
margin:0;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407ygrp-mkp .yiv7054906407ad a {
color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
#yiv7054906407ygrp-lc {
font-family:Arial;}

#yiv7054906407ygrp-lc #yiv7054906407hd {
margin:10px
0px;font-weight:700;font-size:78%;line-height:122%;}

#yiv7054906407ygrp-lc .yiv7054906407ad {
margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407actions {
font-family:Verdana;font-size:11px;padding:10px 0;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407activity {
background-color:#e0ecee;float:left;font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;padding:10px;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407activity span {
font-weight:700;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407activity span:first-child {
text-transform:uppercase;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407activity span a {
color:#5085b6;text-decoration:none;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407activity span span {
color:#ff7900;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407activity span
.yiv7054906407underline {
text-decoration:underline;}

#yiv7054906407 .yiv7054906407attach {
clear:both;display:table;font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;padding:10px
0;width:400px;}

#yiv7054906407 .yiv7054906407attach div a {

#yiv7054906407 .yiv7054906407attach img {
border:none;padding-right:5px;}

#yiv7054906407 .yiv7054906407attach label {
display:block;margin-bottom:5px;}

#yiv7054906407 .yiv7054906407attach label a {

#yiv7054906407 blockquote {
margin:0 0 0 4px;}

#yiv7054906407 .yiv7054906407bold {
font-family:Arial;font-size:13px;font-weight:700;}

#yiv7054906407 .yiv7054906407bold a {

#yiv7054906407 dd.yiv7054906407last p a {
font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}

#yiv7054906407 dd.yiv7054906407last p span {
margin-right:10px;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}

#yiv7054906407 dd.yiv7054906407last p
span.yiv7054906407yshortcuts {
margin-right:0;}

#yiv7054906407 div.yiv7054906407attach-table div div a {

#yiv7054906407 div.yiv7054906407attach-table {
width:400px;}

#yiv7054906407 div.yiv7054906407file-title a, #yiv7054906407
div.yiv7054906407file-title a:active, #yiv7054906407
div.yiv7054906407file-title a:hover, #yiv7054906407
div.yiv7054906407file-title a:visited {

#yiv7054906407 div.yiv7054906407photo-title a,
#yiv7054906407 div.yiv7054906407photo-title a:active,
#yiv7054906407 div.yiv7054906407photo-title a:hover,
#yiv7054906407 div.yiv7054906407photo-title a:visited {

#yiv7054906407 div#yiv7054906407ygrp-mlmsg
#yiv7054906407ygrp-msg p a span.yiv7054906407yshortcuts {
font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;font-weight:normal;}

#yiv7054906407 .yiv7054906407green {
color:#628c2a;}

#yiv7054906407 .yiv7054906407MsoNormal {
margin:0 0 0 0;}

#yiv7054906407 o {
font-size:0;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407photos div {
float:left;width:72px;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407photos div div {
border:1px solid
#666666;height:62px;overflow:hidden;width:62px;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407photos div label {
color:#666666;font-size:10px;overflow:hidden;text-align:center;white-space:nowrap;width:64px;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407reco-category {

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407reco-desc {

#yiv7054906407 .yiv7054906407replbq {
margin:4px;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407ygrp-actbar div a:first-child {
margin-right:2px;padding-right:5px;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407ygrp-mlmsg {
font-size:13px;font-family:Arial, helvetica, clean,
sans-serif;}

#yiv7054906407 #yiv7054906407ygrp-mlmsg table {