[Amel Yacht Owners] Rusted Ball of Chain in the Chain Locker

hanspeter baettig

Hi Kent
buy a new one, safety first
best regards
Hanspeter
Tamango 2 , SM #16
Krusadasi, Turkey
(actual with out twitter and youtube, mr erdogan, Prminister of Tukey is a littel bit angry :-)
I think to leave Turkey, Greek is only a few miles away

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 28.03.2014 um 20:03 schrieb <karkauai@...>:

I've also discovered that the last 100ft or so of my anchor chain is rusted into a huge solid mass in the chain locker.  I've sprayed a ton of PB Blaster on it and beat it with a hammer without much success.  Right now I'm soaking it in Vinegar.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Kent
SM 243 Kristy
Currently Tiger Point Marina Fernandina Beach, FL

karkauai

Problem is getting the old one out of the chain locker.  It won't budge because it's all rusted together.  The limited access to the locker means the fix has to be chemical rather than mechanical. Acid would probably do it but fumes from muriatic acid would every toxic.  I soaked it vinegar for 24 hrs and no improvement.
Need some other suggestions.
Kent
SM243 Kristy
Tiger Point Boat Yard
Fernandina Beach FL

On Mar 28, 2014, at 3:30 PM, "haspeter.baettig" <hanspeter.baettig@...> wrote:

[...]

Mark Erdos

Kent,

What about something like Boeshield RustFree Rust and Stain Remover? Perhaps a multiple application to a specific area will give you the break you need to get the ball small enough.

Mark
SM2K #275

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 5:36 PM, Kent Robertson <karkauai@...> wrote:

[...]

Another thought. Since you are in a yard - soda blasting? It would be a mess to clean up but it would probably do the trick.

[...]

Never heard of that product Mark, but I'll see if I can find it.  Soda blasting would only hot the surface, but maybe could help a bit at a time.
Keep those ideas coming!
Thanks,
Kent

On Mar 28, 2014, at 6:21 PM, Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

[...]

Ann-Sofie Svanberg <kanalmamman@...>

Sledge hammer???

/Annsofie
Lady Annila SM 232

Skickat från min iPad

28 mar 2014 kl. 18:50 skrev "Kent Robertson" <karkauai@...>:

[...]

Been there and done that.  Such a small access that I'm bruised on the arm and ribs from squeezing in there.
I hit the mass with a 5 lb hammer and nothing budges!
Keep em coming!
Kent

On Mar 28, 2014, at 7:16 PM, Ann-Sofie Svanberg <kanalmamman@...> wrote:

[...]

Roque

Alternatives to think about:

1. Hydrochloric acid;

2. Heat gun;

3. Electrolysis (maybe you won't have enough room  for this)

Roque
S/Y Atica Amel 54

Em sexta-feira, 28 de março de 2014, Kent Robertson <karkauai@...> escreveu:

[...]

What does everyone think about Hydrochloric acid?  No damage to the hull?  Fumes?  How to get rid of it afterward?

Not sure what the heat gun would do???

I don't understand what you're talking about with electrolysis?

Thanks, Roque,
Kent

On Mar 28, 2014, at 8:17 PM, Roque <ediroque@...> wrote:

[...]

Since you are very experienced, I take it you have already tryed the obvious solutions with no sucess. So I took a chance with less usual methods.

Gear gun: not sure if it  will work in your particular case, but  I could once separate a few  parts "glued"  due to rust. Concentrade heat will dilate the pieces and eventuallly break a few links loose.

Electrolysis: it envolves putting the rust part into a Electrolyte solution, using a plastic container.
You will need a sacrifice metal and a battery.
If you think you have enough room for this, and if everything else fails, let me know and I will try to guide you. (I will have to find a way to do this in English!)

[...]

<

karkauai

Thank you Roque,
I will try the heat gun when I get back next week.  Electrolysis sounds interesting, but still don't quite understand it.
Thanks again,
Kent

On Mar 28, 2014, at 9:43 PM, Roque <ediroque@...> wrote:

[...]

Patrick McAneny

 Kent , How about a long chisel and a 3lb. sledge hammer  a have at it.  Pat

[...]

Anne and John Hollamby <annejohnholl@...>

HI Kent,
Sorry to read of all your problems, not least the bad back, it seems to me that you should not be banging around in the chain locker and you should get someone else to do the dirty work. I am astonished that the chain has apparently fused itself together and have to wonder whether it is electrolysis affected.  What I would do is to Google phosphoric acid to see what the breathing hazards are. There are some clues under the headings CDC.NIOSH-hazards and under nj,gov/health as well as many others.  I have recently been using a “strong rust remover to unfreeze a ball race. It was only less than 12% and really not what you need as it was very expensive per fluid oz.The adverts on Google offered five litre cans of concentrate for £25.  It should be much more effective than Hydrochloric acid and hopefully not so hugely dangerous.A plumber died after using strong HCL to clear the lime scale deposits in the pipes in the mens urinal in my office years ago. I would hope to get professional advice on the best percentage of phosphoric to use.
I would start on the problem by getting a length of steel rod of the right diameter that when the end had been reduced in diameter so that it would just fit through a link and long enough that the other end can be easily hammered in the cabin. I would then winch the chain by hand so that it is taut in the locker and then I would see whether the links can be separated one by one. If not I would apply phosphoric to the relevant links, wait a while and then start banging again.

                          Good luck, you need some after these problems,    John Bali Hai,  Sm319 in Malta

Sent: Saturday, March 29, 2014 12:34 PM

[...]

Hi Pat,
I can't get both arms into the locker thru that small access port.  Can't hold the chisel and hammer with one hand.  If I had a long enough chisel I could work on the starbord side but not the port side with the center divider in the way.

[...]

Another great suggestion, John.  I'll definitely check out the phosphoric acid.  Don't want to be another dead plumber.

It hadn't occurred to me that electrolysis could have played a role in this as well.  Interesting thought.  I'll definitely get the electrical system checked out.

Take care,
Kent

Sent: Saturday, March 29, 2014 12:34 PM

[...]

Richard03801 <richard03801@...>

Kent keep putting an oil base anti rust solution on the chain. Give it time to work. By the sound of your other issue you got time. Think about putting a zinc on your anchor and dropping right there and let the weight work for you. The rust will yield soon.
Best of luck.

Regards
Richard Piller
Listing, Servicing and Selling Fine Yachts in Newport.
Cell 603 767 5330