From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...] On Behalf Of karkauai@...
Sent: Friday, March 28, 2014 3:04 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Rusted Ball of Chain in the Chain Locker

I've also discovered that the last 100ft or so of my anchor chain is rusted into a huge solid mass in the chain locker.  I've sprayed a ton of PB Blaster on it and beat it with a hammer without much success.  Right now I'm soaking it in Vinegar.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Kent
SM 243 Kristy
Currently Tiger Point Marina Fernandina Beach, FL

karkauai

You mean keep it off of the hull?  Afraid there's no way to do that.
The battery compartment is fiberglass, too.  It's exposed to battery acid without problems.
Not sure what to think about that.
Thanks again, all ideas are appreciated.
Surely we have a chemist on the group???
Kent

On Mar 28, 2014, at 8:25 PM, sailormon <kimberlite@...> wrote:

Dilute hydrochloric acid works on rust if you can somehow isolate the liquid from the boat.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite SM 376