[Amel Yacht Owners] Rusted Ball of Chain in the Chain Locker

john martin <symoondog@...>

Kent, I know it won't help you now, but in the future when you get the chain out and problem solved, you should wash the chain with fresh water a couple of times a year. Always when you winterize the boat. I take a hose and open up the access hole and spray fresh water all over the chain and locker compartment and let it air out. In the yard, find a wooden pallet or a piece of plywood and drop the entire chain on it. I hired a small worker one time to actually climb into the locker and scrub out the walls and floor of the locker. Being out of sight, out of mind, not good for anchor chain.  JOHN  "Moon Dog"  SM248

To: amelyachtowners@...
From: karkauai@...
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 12:03:37 -0700
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Rusted Ball of Chain in the Chain Locker

I've also discovered that the last 100ft or so of my anchor chain is rusted into a huge solid mass in the chain locker.  I've sprayed a ton of PB Blaster on it and beat it with a hammer without much success.  Right now I'm soaking it in Vinegar.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Kent
SM 243 Kristy
Currently Tiger Point Marina Fernandina Beach, FL

karkauai

Hi John,
I hear ya! Just plain dumb neglect.  It'll be a long time before I forget about my chain again.
Hi to Ruth, looking forward to seeing you this summer.
Kent

To: amelyachtowners@...