Grounding Strap Status - Super Maramu 2000 #350

svperegrinus <no_reply@...>

Hello,

Looks like our electric systems on Super Maramu 2000 #350 are currently ungrounded.

We spent a most wonderful afternoon yesterday exploring our bilge or sea chest in the engine compartment.  Here is what we found hanging or attached to the forward bulkhead and usually hidden by the bilge pump float+switch cylinder we removed:

1.  Grounding wires meld/union

Hangs from about 8 grounding wires coming from port and starboard near the top of the bilge pump’s high water mark.

2.  Grounding strap joint to the wires

Hangs from the meld or union

3.  Grounding strap loop

The strap does not immediately hang to the bottom of the bilge.  Instead, it hangs loosely from the above structures 1. and 2., and then loops back to the forward bulkhead.

4.  Grounding strap attachment to the forward bulkhead

This is well below the bilge pump’s high water mark, and therefore is submerged most of the time.  Covered in muck, we did not see what does this attachment consist of.

5.  Grounding strap extension to the bottom of the bilge

The strap hangs from the above structure 4. and ends an estimated 20 centimetres (8 inches) before it reaches the bottom of the bilge.  The end does not look like a clean cut and instead looks ragged.

We tried to fully evacuate the bilge but were unable to remove the final 2 centimetres of water (1 inch) to see if we could spot the keel bolt at the bottom.  As the water is pitch dark, we were unable to see the bottom of the bilge.  We used two different manual pumps, but no matter what we did, a bit of extremely dark water/muck remained.  We dropped a gallon of vinegar and left it overnight, and plan to use other chemicals and brushes to see if it is possible to see the bottom.

Cheerio,

john martin <symoondog@...>

There are 2 items that are a must on an Amel. A wet dry vac. and a pressure washer. The pressure washer can be bought any where and fits on the end of your regular hose. This 3 foot long pipe goes to the bottom of the bilge and blast all the crud from the sides and bottom of the bilge. Take  the filter off the wet dry vacuum and tape a plastic 3 foot long pipe on the end of the hose to reach the bottom. With numerous fill ups and washing, the bilge will be like new. I found a great pressure washer(haven't bought it yet). It even has a container for soap and can go from heavy to light washing. Great for the engine room. Its only $35.00 @ Hyde tools.com Phone 800-8724933  John  "Moon DOG" SM248

To: amelyachtowners@...