[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Engine and Service Battery circuits Isolated

sailormon <kimberlite@...>

There is an old joke. What do you get when you cross breed King Kong and a Canary—answer- I don’t know but when it talks you listen.

I am a firm believer that wherever lightning want to go it goes, I do not believe that grounding the rigging to the bonding does anything. I was hit by lightning.

It struck the Ais-Vhf antenna and melted it to about 10 inches like a welding rod. It blew out things on the generator, the engine, all the electronics, the autopilot the bow thruster motor and blew the propeller off the bow thruster and the bow thruster out of the boat..

I do not know what connecting the bonding to the rigging would have done to help.

My friend has a boat in Florida where everything is bonded to the rigging. The lightning hit his rigging and wound up blowing out a bonded through hull and sunk the boat at the dock.

I don’t think a million or billion volts cares what wires you have running through your boat-it goes where it feels like.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite SM 376

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...] On Behalf Of divanz620@...
Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2014 1:19 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Engine and Service Battery circuits Isolated

This is the Amel system.

The -24V line is not connected to "ground" at all.

The -12V starting battery line is only connected to ground during starting of the engines.

All the -ve lines from 24V equipment return to the -ve battery terminal of the 24V bank.

All of the metal equipment that comes in contact with salt water is grounded by means of green/yellow wires that are all connected together at a bracket in the sump. This bracket is connected to a keel bolt and also to the zincs on the rudder. There is no zinc in the Yanmar engine, although there is one in the Genset.

I can sort of see some logic in this, but what has me also mystified is that all of the standing rigging is isolated from ground....I don't know if anyone can explain why that is a good thing ?

Cheers

Alan

SV Elyse SM437.

Alan Leslie

You could be right...the voltage potential is just so overwhelming everything goes....

I can't find a lot of logic in most of this....

I've just antifouled and refurbished the Autoprop with new bearings...and after seeing the shaft corrosion on (your?) shafts, I've installed the prop zinc that comes with the bearing kit... I see the 54s have it whereas our SM53s don't ...why ??

Also I showed those pics to an engineer here and he thinks it is crevice corrosion caused by Stainless steel operating in an oxygen deprived environment...which could be the case if the outer seals failed, but the inners didn't....more food for thought.......

Cheers

Alan

SV Elyse SM437

Gulf Harbour NZ ...currently

karkauai

The corrosion/electrolytic? damage was primarily under the "wearing out bearing" aft of the inner Oring.  That is an area that has free flow of sea water between the bearing and the shaft, so maybe not a hypoxic environment  There is a hole about 2mm in diameter and depth that is aft of the bearing, and there is discoloration and loss of sheen to the shaft forward of the Oring still under the bearing.

I will inspect for any evidence of voltage leak, which I think I may find related to the installation of three new chargers about a year ago.

Amel believes that you can "overzinc" which may cause problems as well.  They believe that on our SM's the two zincs on the rudder
"balance" the system appropriately.  I didn't have a prop zinc when I bought the boat, and instead had the red plastic cap that was supplied with the AutoProp.  When I switched to the MaxProp it was supplied with a zinc, so I used it.  I've seen that prop zinc disappear about twice as fast as the rudder zincs, so I think it's doing something...?something good?...I don't know now.

I'm still reading about bonding systems and haven't found anything yet that makes it perfectly clear to me.  If I run across anything that makes it easier to understand I will post it here.  It seems to be a complicated subject that doesn't have absolutely clear answers...there seems to be an "art" to it as well as the science.  Henri was as much an "artiste" as anyone when it comes to building boats, so I'm leaving things the way he designed them.

Kent ( you can call me "Rusty")
SM243
Kristy
On the hard in Fernandina Beach, FL

Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2014 6:50 AM
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Engine and Service Battery circuits Isolated

You could be right...the voltage potential is just so overwhelming everything goes....
I can't find a lot of logic in most of this....
I've just antifouled and refurbished the Autoprop with new bearings...and after seeing the shaft corrosion on (your?) shafts, I've installed the prop zinc that comes with the bearing kit... I see the 54s have it whereas our SM53s don't ...why ??

Also I showed those pics to an engineer here and he thinks it is crevice corrosion caused by Stainless steel operating in an oxygen deprived environment...which could be the case if the outer seals failed, but the inners didn't....more food for thought.......

Cheers
Alan
SV Elyse SM437
Gulf Harbour NZ ...currently

Andrew & Kate Lamb

So we take our boat out next week to clean and change the anodes - ours has the red plastic cap - I was convinced by recent discussions that I should fit it with a propeller anode. Now I am not so sure!?

Andrew & Kate

Ronpische

SM 472

Canet-en-Roussillon

karkauai

So my comments made it clear as mud, eh?  Great, glad to be of help (-:
Kent

On Apr 24, 2014, at 9:56 AM, <andrew.lamb@...> wrote:

So we take our boat out next week to clean and change the anodes - ours has the red plastic cap - I was convinced by recent discussions that I should fit it with a propeller anode. Now I am not so sure!?

Andrew & Kate

Ronpische

SM 472

Canet-en-Roussillon

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi all,
It is possible to have your boat checked to see the level of protection provided by the zincs. I had Ocean Pearl done at the end of last year and got a definitive answer as to the protection provided by my zincs. The test was done by dropping a probe into the sea over the side and attaching a contact to various parts of the systems aboard and reading the current. I got answers as to whether I was over or under- zinced and as to efficacy of the bonding throughout the boat. The bonding was effective and my zinc protection was on the upper end of acceptable. I had a prop zinc on as well as the rudder. I was advised the prop zinc was not needed but was doing no harm.
Regards
Danny
SM 299 Ocean Pearl
Mangonui
New Zealand

Sent: Friday, 25 April 2014 1:56 AM
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Engine and Service Battery circuits Isolated

Andrew & Kate
Ronpische
SM 472
Canet-en-Roussillon

karkauai

Hi Danny.  Great info.  Just gotta find an electrician who understands our system.

On Apr 24, 2014, at 5:32 PM, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

Hi all,
It is possible to have your boat checked to see the level of protection provided by the zincs. I had Ocean Pearl done at the end of last year and got a definitive answer as to the protection provided by my zincs. The test was done by dropping a probe into the sea over the side and attaching a contact to various parts of the systems aboard and reading the current. I got answers as to whether I was over or under- zinced and as to efficacy of the bonding throughout the boat. The bonding was effective and my zinc protection was on the upper end of acceptable. I had a prop zinc on as well as the rudder. I was advised the prop zinc was not needed but was doing no harm.
Regards
Danny
SM 299 Ocean Pearl
Mangonui
New Zealand

Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Engine and Service Battery circuits Isolated

Andrew & Kate
Ronpische
SM 472
Canet-en-Roussillon

Stephanie DiBelardino <stephiedib@...>

Stephanie DiBelardino

On Apr 24, 2014, at 5:32 PM, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

Hi all,
Regards
Danny
SM 299 Ocean Pearl
Mangonui
New Zealand

Andrew & Kate
Ronpische
SM 472
Canet-en-Roussillon