[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Engine and Service Battery circuits Isolated

sailormon <kimberlite@...>

There is an old joke. What do you get when you cross breed King Kong and a Canary—answer- I don’t know but when it talks you listen.

I am a firm believer that wherever lightning want to go it goes, I do not believe that grounding the rigging to the bonding does anything. I was hit by lightning.

It struck the Ais-Vhf antenna and melted it to about 10 inches like a welding rod. It blew out things on the generator, the engine, all the electronics, the autopilot the bow thruster motor and blew the propeller off the bow thruster and the bow thruster out of the boat..

I do not know what connecting the bonding to the rigging would have done to help.

My friend has a boat in Florida where everything is bonded to the rigging. The lightning hit his rigging and wound up blowing out a bonded through hull and sunk the boat at the dock.

I don’t think a million or billion volts cares what wires you have running through your boat-it goes where it feels like.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite SM 376