[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Ceiling material sagging

Malcolm Armitage <marmitage73@...>

Ian

Thanks for that. I'm trying to avoid replacing it but if I have to I'll try that.

Regards

Malcolm

On Thursday, May 29, 2014 8:11 AM, "Ian Park parkianj@... [amelyachtowners]" wrote:

Malcolm,
I relined my Santorin. Previous owner had scraped old foam off and re glued it. In aft cabin I removed the old lining and put new lining up. I did not glue it to the ceiling. I cut four thin plywood panels to fit the ceiling and glued and stapled the new foam on. Then I held the panels in place on the ceiling with self adhesive Velcro. I covered the butt joints with a 20 mm wooden batten held by brass screws. Looks good and in keeping with rest of boat. You could use the original fabric without the backing on the plywood, but make sure to remove all the old foam and glue..
Sticking large sheets above your head is tricky to say the least. The panels mean you can do the gluing on a table. If one subsequently comes apart its easy to remove the single panel again to fix it.
It's eBay enough to find a wood stain/ varnish fir the battens to match the rest of the woodwork,

Good luck

Ian

SN 96 Ocean Hobo

phil.berghmans <no_reply@...>

Hello,

I reglued the headlining on my santorin 1994 four years ago.Cleaned the old vinyl with brush and vacuem cleaner reglued the old headlining with polyarethane sealent.(or sikaflex) This is easy and last longer then traditional  glue and is less messy to work with.
Afther four years in the tropics (now panama) everything is still in place.Cheap and good solution.

Good luck

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Phil,

I assume the big benefit is that it fit perfectly with no cutting challenges.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
sent from my tablet

On Jun 2, 2014 8:50 PM, "phil.berghmans" <no_reply@...> wrote:

Hello,

I reglued the headlining on my santorin 1994 four years ago.Cleaned the old vinyl with brush and vacuem cleaner reglued the old headlining with polyarethane sealent.(or sikaflex) This is easy and last longer then traditional  glue and is less messy to work with.
Afther four years in the tropics (now panama) everything is still in place.Cheap and good solution.

Good luck

phil.berghmans <no_reply@...>

Hello ,

Thats certainly true you clean the ceiling and the foam on the back off the vinyl and you reglue it.Its a lot off work but the result is very satisfying.
I saw a quote off amel with new material (for the previous owners in 2003) it was about 20000 euros...

Recycle the old!!!!

Phil

:-)