From: svperegrinus ;
To: ;
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] 30W/40 oil for Dessalator high pressure pump
Sent: Mon, Jun 2, 2014 8:50:49 PM

Spent a couple of hours reading and re-reading the Dessalator manuals provided on the "Accesories" binders (the Amel manual itself makes reference to a smaller 50L unit not installed on this vessel)

It clearly says that the Dessalator high pressure pump (the CAT pump) needs "30W/40" oil.  It is unclear wether this is regular motor oil or some sort of hydraulic oil.

Spent a while on the internet looking for this oil.  Was not able to find a "30W/40" oil.  According to Wikipedia, "W" oils end at 25 (5W, 10W, etc), and do not reach 30W.

Certainly a common oil such as 10W-40 would not be suitable for this?  The 10W would be too thin at ambient and/or pump-startup temps.

Heavily tempted to simply use straight 30 oil.

It is not very clear from the manual what Dessalator model Peregrinus has.  We were under the impression it is a 120 l/hr machine but on the manual the models shown skip from 75 l/hr to 140 l/hr and the latter one seems to match the output quantities we've seen.  Therefore, it might be a D140 / 2.5kW / 220V.

Any advice on oil to be used much appreciated.

Laying at anchor in Lake Sylvia / Ft Lauderdale today, waiting for tomorrow's weather window north.

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

The HP pump on a Dessalator 160 is a CAT pump. I bought oil for a water maker CAT pump at a water maker shop in Turkey. I am sure that you can find a water maker shop/guy in Ft Lauderdale.

Bill
BeBe 387

On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 2:29 AM, asm283@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello

If I remember correctly it is some sort of food grade oil. Not motor oil. You should be able to get it any marine store that specializes in water makers.

Vito Ciaravino

[...]

svperegrinus <no_reply@...>

Thank you Vito and Bill.

We postponed our departure by one day to get the oil and missed half our sailing window!  For anyone else who may have a watermaker with a CAT high pressure pump, what you need is:

CAT Pumps Crankcase Oil ISO 68, petroleum based, hydraulic oil.
21 oz. (0.62 liter) $12.95 at Watermakers Inc. of Ft. Lauderdale
Funnily enough, the Amel manual on board wants 0.75 liter oil changes on this pump!

Or, per e-mail received from the CAT factory yesterday:
  "We do have our own Cat oil that can be found at Northern Tool and Home Depot.

But if not available to you.

It is a non detergent 30W Hydraulic oil, or a ISO 68"

And then we desalinated over 300 liters today.  This thing is fast.

sv Peregrinus
At anchor, Lake Worth, La Florida.

sailormon <kimberlite@...>

Do you have a desalinator brand watermaker- is it the 220 version?

What is your hull number is it a Kimberlite SM 376?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite SM 376