Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Volvo TMD22a Intermittent electrical failure causing no start.

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Graham,

I am sure you have thought about this, but have you checked or replaced the negative start solenoid? I believe it is normally open and closes while starting. Solenoids can be intermittently cause headaches.

Bill
BeBe #387

On Sun, Jun 15, 2014 at 2:04 AM, crwggb@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

For some time I could not get my Volvo TMD22A to stop using the key. Not a problem as there is a mechanical stop. An electrician finally traced the problem to the 55 amp grounding fuse which had blown. Fuse replaced problem solved.? Not quite...

I now have a much more serious issue where occasionally when one turns the start key there is no power at the start control panel and obviously the engine does not start. So far, this only seems to happen when the engine is hot after a long run. Leave it for half an hour to cool and power to the starter panel returns. I am about to replace both the start and stop resettable fuse relays in the black plastic electrical box on the front of the engine to see if that helps.

Graham Boyd

SM 140 Sula

Hong Kong

Graham Boyd

Thanks Bill I think that is probably what is causing the problem. For some reason Volvo call these solenoids fuses which is a bit odd. Anyway I have two arriving in Hong Kong tomorrow from the uk so I will replace both stop and start solenoids on spec and see what happens. Graham SM140 Sula