[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Sail furling solenoid

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Andrew,

Sometimes, when it rains it pours!

Just a suggestion, when was the last time you had your batteries checked.

I believe that high-amp contacts like solenoids will burn themselves up with low power. Low power may have been a cause of your bow thruster problem. I think you should load test the batteries. I prefer a digital load tester. If you do not have one, you might consider one like this one:
(http://www.amazon.com/BA7-100-1200-Electronic-Battery-System/dp/B0015PI7A4)...it will pay for itself many times over the first time you need one. Many battery suppliers will use a digital tester with a printout. Most of the time they will do this service free, counting on you buying batteries from them.

Be sure that the battery terminals are completely disconnected when testing a battery, and that the tester's alligator clip has made good contact. Disconnect 1 pair of batteries at a time and test each of the pair separately.

Bill
BeBe 387

On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 1:33 PM, andrew.lamb@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I seem to be having the full Amel malfunction experience this month - one of our Furling solenoids has just failed - I would like to have said I read this post in advance and had a spare solenoid switch in a locker but alas not! Nevertheless this post is very helpful and I now have 3 solenoid switches on order from the Toolbox shop.

Many thanks Forum

Andrew & Kate

Ronpische

SM2k 472

Canet en Roussillion, France

Andrew & Kate Lamb

Bill

Many thanks for this suggestion – I would hope the batteries are ok as they are only 18 months old, however I think it is worth checking and in any case it seems like a useful tool to add to the chest.

We are hoping to leave for the Balearics at the start of August, we have a mechanical solution for lifting the bow-thruster for now.

Hopefully not too many more problems before we leave!

Andrew

[...]

It is possible that you can have 1 or 2 bad batteries in the bank that will significantly reduce the available power. I like being able to test them myself, when and where I want to.

I bought 13 new Varta brand batteries in June 2011...they are all gone now. The first one developed an internal short after 3 months. This one was easy to find because it was the starter battery and the Onan was not starting from time to time. The next two were gone in 8 months.

Bill
BeBe 387

[...]

Thanks Bill

I will try this approach and see if the batter analysis reveals anything.