[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Watermaker supplies

kimberlite@...

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Pat,

Water filters can be bought in many places. I started using pleated water filters both 5 and 20 micron when I needed to buy some in Darwin. They can be washed easily with a nozzle on a hose and can be cleaned dozens of times.

As Eric said, Home Depot is a source and here is a link to the pleated ones:  http://www.homedepot.com/p/DuPont-Pleated-Poly-Whole-House-Cartridge-2-Pack-WFPFC3002/203444306

Bill
BeBe 387

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 3:11 AM, kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Doesn't a set of filters from home depot work as well?
Eric
sm 376 Kimberlite

From: "derickgates@... [amelyachtowners]"
Date: Thursday, September 18, 2014 5:02 pm
To: amelyachtowners@...

> Pat,
>
> In the past I have purchased from Filters Fast at
> http://www.filtersfast.com/ http://www.filtersfast.com/
>
> as well as from http://www.waterfiltersonline.com
> http://www.waterfiltersonline.com
> There is also http://www.Great-water.com http://www.Great-
> water.comwho I believe are the Dessalatorrep in the U.S.
>
> Prices vary - much cheaper by the case.
>
> Hope these help.
>
> DerickGates
>
> SM2K #400 Brava

Patrick McAneny

Eric, I was wondering that as well, they look the same as what I use in my house. The only thing is ,one is supposed to be 25 micron and one 5 micron. I have never noticed a micron level on the filters I buy for my house. I wonder if with two filters how important it would be. They would be a lot cheaper.  Pat SM 123

Doesn't a set of filters from home depot work as well?
Eric
sm 376 Kimberlite

> In the past I have purchased from Filters Fast at
> http://www.filtersfast.com/ http://www.filtersfast.com/
>
> as well as from http://www.waterfiltersonline.com
> http://www.waterfiltersonline.com
> There is also http://www.Great-water.com http://www.Great-
> water.com who I believe are the Dessalator rep in the U.S.
>
> Prices vary - much cheaper by the case.
>
> Hope these help.
>
> Derick Gates
>
> SM2K #400 Brava

Patrick McAneny

Bill, I did not se a micron spec in the description of the filters at Home Depot . If you and Eric use them , that's good enough for me, this winter will be my first time using the watermaker, so I know nothing about it. Thanks, Pat

> In the past I have purchased from Filters Fast at
> http://www.filtersfast.com/ http://www.filtersfast.com/
>
> as well as from http://www.waterfiltersonline.com
> http://www.waterfiltersonline.com
> There is also http://www.Great-water.com http://www.Great-
> water.com who I believe are the Dessalator rep in the U.S.
>
> Prices vary - much cheaper by the case.
>
> Hope these help.
>
> Derick Gates
>
> SM2K #400 Brava

Mike Ondra

Patrick.

Our watermaker has been "pickled" off-line for 10 years. How long was yours
not in operation and how much time/expense/aggravation was/is involved in
bringing it back to function? Parts other than filters that needed
replacement?

Thanks,

Mike

Aletes SM#240

In the past I have purchased from Filters Fast at
http://www.filtersfast.com/ http://www.filtersfast.com/

as well as from http://www.waterfiltersonline.com
http://www.waterfiltersonline.com
There is also http://www.Great-water.com http://www.Great-
water.com who I believe are the Dessalator rep in the U.S.

Prices vary - much cheaper by the case.

Hope these help.

Derick Gates

SM2K #400 Brava

Richard03801 <richard03801@...>

Pat we have used a Culligan charcoal Filters in line before the pump to keep anything from getting to the pump. Give clean good tasting water. and no chlorine so we can back flush the water maker without issues. Buy them
at most any hardware store.

Fair Winds Smooth Sailing To All
Capt Richard
RP Yacht Brokerage
Newport RI
We list sell and service fine yachts including Amel's
Cell 603 767 5330

On Sep 19, 2014, at 7:01, "Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Eric, I was wondering that as well, they look the same as what I use in my house. The only thing is ,one is supposed to be 25 micron and one 5 micron. I have never noticed a micron level on the filters I buy for my house. I wonder if with two filters how important it would be. They would be a lot cheaper.  Pat SM 123

Doesn't a set of filters from home depot work as well?
Eric
sm 376 Kimberlite

> In the past I have purchased from Filters Fast at
> http://www.filtersfast.com/ http://www.filtersfast.com/
>
> as well as from http://www.waterfiltersonline.com
> http://www.waterfiltersonline.com
> There is also http://www.Great-water.com http://www.Great-
> water.com who I believe are the Dessalator rep in the U.S.
>
> Prices vary - much cheaper by the case.
>
> Hope these help.
>
> Derick Gates
>
> SM2K #400 Brava

yahoogroups@...

Mike, My guess is that at a minimum you should replace: Filters Membranes Membrane tube seals/O rings HP pump oil Probably HP hoses...if they do not leak when you start it up, they probably will within a few months because of dry-rot. Pat, I did not buy the pleated/washable filters at Home Depot. I bought 6 each (5 micron and 20 micron) in Darwin at a large hardware store. I think you will have difficulty finding 25 micron, except in The EU. The 20 micron is a little tighter, but the Dessalator feed pump on the 160 liter has no problems with it. Bill BeBe 387

Patrick McAneny

Mike, I do not know the history of my watermaker . It was given to me about three years ago and I installed it . I do not know if it was pickled properly. Last summer we were down the Bay off Solomons and I was anxious to see if it worked , so we turned it on and water , very good quality and quantity was produced. That could be because we were in a low salt environment . The only problem we had was one gauge , I think the low pressure did not register , and the low pressure pump seemed very hot to the touch. I pickled it last fall and unpickled it this spring as I understood it should not be pickled for longer than six months, I have since been told this is not true. Outside of flushing it very well , before using ,I do not know what else one would do before making water. Almost everyone knows more than me on this subject and I am sure someone will be better able to answer your question. I have my old 60 lt. watermaker and want to give it to someone that can use it.  Pat SM #123

> In the past I have purchased from Filters Fast at
> http://www.filtersfast.com/ http://www.filtersfast.com/
>
> as well as from http://www.waterfiltersonline.com
> http://www.waterfiltersonline.com
> There is also http://www.Great-water.com http://www.Great-
> water.com who I believe are the Dessalator rep in the U.S.
>
> Prices vary - much cheaper by the case.
>
> Hope these help.
>
> Derick Gates
>
> SM2K #400 Brava

Patrick McAneny

Richard, Do you use one charcoal and one regular ? Do you worry about the microns , my filter housing has 25 and 5 written on them ? Pat

Doesn't a set of filters from home depot work as well?
Eric
sm 376 Kimberlite

> In the past I have purchased from Filters Fast at
> http://www.filtersfast.com/ http://www.filtersfast.com/
>
> as well as from http://www.waterfiltersonline.com
> http://www.waterfiltersonline.com
> There is also http://www.Great-water.com http://www.Great-
> water.com who I believe are the Dessalator rep in the U.S.
>
> Prices vary - much cheaper by the case.
>
> Hope these help.
>
> Derick Gates
>
> SM2K #400 Brava

yahoogroups@...

Pat , Let me try a reply again. Two of us that i know of have had parts damaged by the pickling solution. Myself and Gary Silver. I discussed this with Dessalator and they said rinsing with fresh unchlorinated water is best, unless this is impossible and you are going to leave it closed for more than 4 to 6 months. Regarding the LP pressure gauge, for years, I had the exact symptoms after changing pre-filters. I found that any air left in the filter housings will cause this issue. If the LP indicator shows pressure after the HP pump starts, I think it could be air in the closed system. I have been measuring the temperature of the LP and HP pumps as well as the HP pump motor...all after 1 hour of making water are: HP MOTOR 103C HP PUMP 72C LP PUMP MOTOR 53C I do not know if these are within tolerances, but it is what I have measured every time for the past 50 hours. I have the spreadsheet if you want it. Hope this helps Bill BeBe 387

Richard03801 <richard03801@...>

Pat we use one charcoal filter before the fresh water pump.
There is a NON Charcoal filter in the saltwater intake. When we flush that filter get flushed too to keep it from growing stuff".
It's a very easy system.
The water maker flush sys is manual.

On Sep 19, 2014, at 7:57, "Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Richard, Do you use one charcoal and one regular ? Do you worry about the microns , my filter housing has 25 and 5 written on them ? Pat

Doesn't a set of filters from home depot work as well?
Eric
sm 376 Kimberlite

> In the past I have purchased from Filters Fast at
> http://www.filtersfast.com/ http://www.filtersfast.com/
>
> as well as from http://www.waterfiltersonline.com
> http://www.waterfiltersonline.com
> There is also http://www.Great-water.com http://www.Great-
> water.com who I believe are the Dessalator rep in the U.S.
>
> Prices vary - much cheaper by the case.
>
> Hope these help.
>
> Derick Gates
>
> SM2K #400 Brava

kimberlite@...

Patrick McAneny

Bill, I had to pickle the watermaker over the winter. I was told by Great Water to use potable antifreeze , which I did. Since it is not corrosive I assume it would do no harm to leave it pickled for a long period. I depickled mine and have been rinsing it since spring every few weeks. I am glad you posted the temps again , I want to compare it with what my pump temps are. How do you purge the air from the system ?   Thanks, Pat

From: "Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners]"
Date: Friday, September 19, 2014 7:02 am
To: amelyachtowners@...

> Eric, I was wondering that as well, they look the same as what I
> use in my house. The only thing is ,one is supposed to be 25
> micron and one 5 micron. I have never noticed a micron level on
> the filters I buy for my house. I wonder if with two filters how
> important it would be. They would be a lot cheaper. Pat SM 123

I was getting air in the system when changing or cleaning the prefilters. The air purges itself when the HP pump turns on. If you are showing a reading zero on the low pressure gauge before the HP pump kicks on, then after the HP pump kicks on, you have a pressure reading, you have the same symptoms I had.

What I did to stop adding air when I changed or cleaned filters was:
After placing the new/clean filter in the filter tube, fill the tube as much as possible with fresh water, then loosely screw the filter tube back in place...before tightening the tube turn on the RINSE valve which sends fresh water through the prefilters, at the same time tightening up the tube...the Rinse water should replace the air before you tighten the tube. This works for me, but I am not sure you have the same cause, and I am not sure if you plumbed a RINSE valve when you installed your 160l water maker.

Bill
BeBe 387

[...]

Bill , I did plumb a rinse valve with fresh water coming from my tank , but I have it going to the LP pump, I suppose I should have introduced the fresh water at the filters , that way they get rinsed as well. I guess I should re-do it. Thanks , Pat

[...]

I think you plumbed it correctly.

Doesn't the fresh RINSE water go through the LP pump, then the prefilters, then the HP pump, then the tubes?

Bill
BeBe

On Sat, Sep 20, 2014 at 2:39 PM, Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Bill, No , the way I set it up, the water is introduced after the two pre filters. I installed this and I designed the plumbing with a series of valves so that raw water comes from the pre filters to the LP pump or that can be shut off and a valve can be opened to allow fresh water straight from the pump goes to the LP pump for rinsing , that can be closed and another valve opened that will allow an attached tube to be placed in a bucket of pickle solution. I would  have to clean the filters by taking them out and clean them. Is it important that the filters be rinse every time the membranes are rinsed ?  Thanks , Pat