From: "svshenanigans@... [amelyachtowners]"
To: amelyachtowners@...
Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2014 8:33 AM
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Anchor and chain

I just measured my chain and it looks like its 8 mm. ,which is between 5/16 and 3/8 ,closer to 5/16. I do not know how old it is , but most of the galvanization is gone . Is that heavy enough for a 53 ft. boat ? I am second guessing my anchor as well after reading some comparisons between Bruce and Rocna. I have a Bruce 66 lbs. and here in the Bay it has always held well in the mud we have , but  wonder about conditions in the Caribbean. Does the Rocna fit the bow on a SM , any thoughts on chain, anchor , and size would be appreciated.  Thanks,  Pat SM 123

Chris Smither <yachtakwaaba@...>

Hi
Your gypsy or wildcat should be sized to the chain. These can be replaced easily  on your windlass if you change chain size.
As Wikipedia says"
It is important that the chainwheel match the chain size (i.e. the link pitch) closely. Even a small difference in link size or consistency can cause undue wear on the chainwheel and/or cause the chain to jump off the windlass when the winch is operating, particularly during payout, a runaway condition sometimes referred to as "water spouting" should it occur at high speed."
Just my two bits worth!
Chris Smither Santorin Akwaaba 027

On 25 Sep 2014, at 17:47, "Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi, Pat,
Mine is 10mm.
I have a Rocna 40kg that fits nicely on my bow roller without any modification.  I had a Delta that came with the boat...came unhooked more than once.  I LOVE Rocky, hasn't come loose once in 4 years.
Kent
SM243
Kristy

I just measured my chain and it looks like its 8 mm. ,which is between 5/16 and 3/8 ,closer to 5/16. I do not know how old it is , but most of the galvanization is gone . Is that heavy enough for a 53 ft. boat ? I am second guessing my anchor as well after reading some comparisons between Bruce and Rocna. I have a Bruce 66 lbs. and here in the Bay it has always held well in the mud we have , but  wonder about conditions in the Caribbean. Does the Rocna fit the bow on a SM , any thoughts on chain, anchor , and size would be appreciated.  Thanks,  Pat SM 123

karkauai

There should be markings on your gypsy that tell the size chain it's designed for.  Like Chris says, don't use chain that's not right for yours.
Kent

From: yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners]
To: amelyachtowners Sent: Thu, Sep 25, 2014 3:16 pm

Regarding the question about the anchor, there are at least 3 Super Maramu Bow rollers. I think that you should make a cardboard cutout of the anchor you want and see if it will fit. It may fit on your SM, but not fit on others.

There are two things that you should look at, and these two things will likely answer all of your chain questions.

And download this file which is "Anchor Chain, Galvanized dimensions and calibration.pdf" Clicking on the following will automatically download the file:

I have seen 10mm chain measure 9mm+/- because the zinc is totally gone. Once the metal starts rusting I am sure that 10mm will get close to 8mm in some places.

< div>I am sure that most of you know that a few months ago a Super Maramu was lost at a Pacific Atoll when his chain broke. It went on a reef and was a total loss. I do not know if the chain was defective, old, or possibly was cut by sharp coral. New chain is not that expensive when you consider what it does for you.

Bill
BeBe 387

Ric Gottschalk <ric@...>

Kent,

You probably saw the boat that was holed  sitting next to the Chandlery at Peakes.  There  is an article in Offshore this month about Ivan and one mans loss, but it really doesn’t do justice to the damage done. Because of Ivan, about  90% of the roofs are new and very pretty. Also regarding chain, I upgraded to the Rocna as well and upgraded the chain to 3/8 HT. I changed the gypsy to accommodate to the longer link. I also added a portside anchor roller and moved my CQR there. Neither anchor is in the way and makes it possible to do a Bahamian moor. I would double check the strength of the swivel between the anchor and chain. Many swivels and shackles  that fit the chain have a lower MWL and breaking strength than the chain.  I also added two zincs on the exposed chain near the anchor. Loved the Bruce anchors in the Chesapeake. Just drop it, pay out 30’ and walk away. Sets every time because of the mud bottom . Not so good in coral, rocks.  Still carry he 33.

Ric

Bali Hai SN24

Stuck in Annapolis

[...]

yahoogroups@...

Pat,

Whoever you spoke to at Lofrans is wrong, very wrong.  Did you download the Anchor Chain, Galvanized dimensions and calibration.pdf.

Please read it and you will see that 10mm chain is made from 10mm (3/8") stock which is manufactured in what most people refer to as two different "pitches" (pitch is referring to the dimension of the link, not the stock). The DIN766 has links that are 2 mm different than the ISO4565 standard. DIN766 is 28mm long and ISO4565 is 30mm long. These chains will NOT work properly in the same Gypsy...different Gypsies are required for each.

I have found that most people do not get their heads around the difference between ISO4565 and DIN766, mostly because there is not a common and accepted way to explain the difference...let me try...

ISO4565 and DIN766 each are made with 10mm stock. The difference is that the size of the links are different. Now to really confuse you, if you compare any other size stock, like 8mm, or 12mm, the links are identical sizes with ISO4565 and DIN766.

Your 10mm chain needs a different Gypsy for ISO than DIN...but only if 10mm (3/8").

I really hope this solves your issue and helps you get what you need.

Bill
BeBe 387

svsunnyside

Hi all,
if the confusion of 10mm size was insufficient the GRADE 40 TABLE of pdf. seams to contain a misprinting.
The loads of 10mm DIN 766 should be SWL :15.5 kN (1.55tons) , UTS : 62 kN (6.2tons) .
Luckily dimensions are correct .
Gabriele
S/V Sunny Side

On Friday, 26 September 2014, 13:09, "yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners]" wrote:

[...]

Bill, So you are saying DIN 766 refers to link length and lofran is saying it means proof coil, do you suppose it may mean both. The odd thing is that the gypsy is stamped 3/8 , yet I have 5/16 chain, however if the links are the same length ,than I guess 5/16 would work on a 3/8 gypsy, correct? So if I want to upgrade to ht 3/8 , I just need to get the right link length din766. I wonder if 3/8 HT comes in two different links. I would think the longer links would be preferable . How about swivels between chain and anchor, what do you use. I hardly trust the S.S. ones that depend on a pin screwed in with lock tight to ensure it to stay in.  Thanks , Pat

[...]

Shenanigans <svshenanigans@...>

Hi Bill.  We tried the second link on our windows PC and iPad and an error occurs.

Diane
Shenanigans SM123

On Sep 25, 2014, at 3:16 PM, "yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Pat,

I will try to answer your questions the best that I know how to.

The only things that I know about all of this were self-taught through research and hands-on experience when I was considering replacing the chain. The issue for me was that there was a very good chain manufacturer in Istanbul, but they only made DIN, not ISO (Amel delivered BeBe #387 with ISO). So, if I were to buy Istanbul chain, I had to consider the cost of a new gypsy.

Is your gypsy stamped with anything else other than 3/8? Mine was stamped with:
Ø 10  3/8 HT
P .30
The first line is the diameter of the stock which is 10mm or 3/8" (same-same)
The second line is the "PITCH" or length of the link which is 30mm. These markings told me that the chain was made to the ISO4565 standard.

If the gypsy was stamped with:
Ø 10  3/8 HT
P .28
The gypsy would be designed for chain made to the DIN766 standard.

I am fairly sure that Lofrans marks all gypsies this way, because my original and my new gypsy are marked this way. I am also sure that other companies make gypsies to fit the Lofranz windlass, and I have no idea how they are marked.

Regarding your question about using 5/16 in a 10mm (3/8") gypsy, I do not see how that could work without damage to the gypsy and the chain because the dimensions of the chain are  different.

Maybe this will help you: If your gypsy is marked Ø 10  3/8 HT, it is ISO4565 and you should stick with chain that is manufactured to ISO4565 standards. Of course, this is assuming that your gypsy is not worn out, especially considering the possibility that the wrong size chain has been running through that gypsy for some time.

DIN766 and ISO4565 have different lengths of links (PITCH)...they will run in one or the other gypsy, but will hop out of the gypsy every 3rd or 4th rotation...and running the wrong chain will wear out the gypsy and ruin the zinc on the chain. I am sure that you should not run different chain size or link lengths in a gypsy because the gypsy will scrape the zinc off the chain and the chain will wear out the gypsy.

I think you should bring your gypsy to a knowledgeable chain re-seller along with a 1 meter cut of your old chain and discuss this with him.

Best,

Bill
BeBe 387

On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 11:46 AM, Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Bill, Thanks for your time and explanation. To be safe ,I think I need to replace the chain with 3/8 HT and determine which gypsy is correct for that chain. Whats your thought on swivels ? Pat

[...]

I like the Wasi Powerball, but I have a stainless steel anchor. I think the powerball is better than any of the alternatives.

CW Bill Rouse, Admiral (Hon) Texas Navy
Yacht BeBe
1-832-454-9995 when in USA
+1832-380-4970 Global Voice Mail
+39 333 121 8115 Italy Mobile

[...]

Posted by: Patrick Mcaneny <sailw32@...>

Andrew & Kate Lamb

We have this and a stainless steel anchor – but with galvanized chain – always the first couple of chain links are rusted – is there anything we can do about that other than change to stainless chain?

Andrew

Ronpische

SM2k 472

Canet en Roussillion, France

[...]

Reply to sender

Reply to group

Start a New Topic

Messages in this topic (22)

Visit Your Group

·         New Members 5

·         New Photos 26

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Andrew,

Every 3 years or so, cut the first 3 or 4 links from the end. Do not do what I did the first time and use a hack saw on deck. I was sure that I got all of the tiny pieces of steel until the next day when a hundred little rust spots appeared.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
sent from my tablet

On Sep 28, 2014 5:52 PM, "Andrew Lamb andrew.lamb@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Bill

Yes on the last haul out I did exactly that but with an angle grinder on the hard – it just seemed a bit of a crude solution – and within a few weeks the surface rust was back. I wondered if there existed some clever electrically isolated connector (lined with plastic or something) but clearly not!

Thanks